How will you feel then?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

Unremarkable wrote:I think someone is playing a very cruel joke on us.
That's the only way my brain can rationally explain this...unless I'm in hell.
LWnumbaunofan

LW fan 4eva

Post by LWnumbaunofan »

I don't understand all this. I just wanted to share my love of the LW's with all the other hardcore LW fans!!!!!!
Please join my LW's fan club.

LuV n Hugs
LW's numero Uno fan!!!
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Betty Felon wrote:Can you make less people buy tickets to your shows? Continue to play small gigs even though there are arenas of fans?
No, and yes, respectively. I believe the Rolling Stones occasionally play small clubs under an assumed name, or else with next-to-no notice. It's not unheard of -- simply rather difficult.

One would also assume that some would choose to follow the mid-sized venue/working musician route, rather than the arena/pop sensation route. (Thinking here of Aimee Mann, who has been both... and possibly Liz Phair, who appears to be doing the same, backwards).
LngHrvWntrsDngr

Post by LngHrvWntrsDngr »

im pretty sure i haven't laughed this hard in a very long time
Liesbeth

Re: LW fan 4eva

Post by Liesbeth »

LWnumbaunofan wrote:LuV n Hugs
LW's numero Uno fan!!!
Here's what I was thinking this evening while dyeing my hair: if LWnumbaunofan is sincerely in LUrV with our lads, then the process of growing fanhood that Betty was predicting has already started and the arenas are soon to follow.

If not, I was thinking who might call themselves TLW's number one fan. This is a long shot, and I don't know how he would do it while on the road (14 posts in one day...), but could it be Sean, who sure did his part in getting The Long Winters going in the first place and thus might qualify as LWnumbaunofan?
The real question then would be, could he get himself to write like this ?????? :-) :-)
Somehow I'm not sure that he could, so maybe we must consider the option that the strain of touring is getting to John and he's behind this !?!?!?!

Or maybe the hair dye has dissolved my brain, even if it was only henna.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

I was thinking it might be someone from Death Cab...
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

That would explain the preference for Death Cab songs expressed in I LUV the LW's 4ever!!!!!
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: LW fan 4eva

Post by Moni »

EDIT: duh
Last edited by Moni on Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LWnumbaunofan

Post by LWnumbaunofan »

Hey LW Fans, :-) :-)

Why are all you guys being so mean to me????? Is it so hard to believe that someone else besides you could be LW's numero uno fan???????!!!!!!

Who is Chris C??? Is he as cute as john, Erik, shawn and mikie?????
If so let me know!!!!
I'm still in charge of the official LW's fan club, So far Unremarkable is ithe vice prez. Does anyone else want to join???????

Liesbeth do you want to be treasurer??? I think this is really taking off guys!!
Luv 4ever
LW's Numero Uno Fan!!!
high-coup

Post by high-coup »

Numbaunofan
Dignity back to the board
You are welcome here
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

LWnumbaunofan wrote:Who is Chris C??? Is he as cute as john, Erik, shawn and mikie?????
If so let me know!!!!
I would think that the LW numero uno fan would know that! ;)
LWnumbaunofan wrote:I'm still in charge of the official LW's fan club, So far Unremarkable is ithe vice prez.
WORD.
heather

Post by heather »

What about me? I said I wanted to be dictator of the fan club. Please?
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

heather wrote:What about me? I said I wanted to be dictator of the fan club. Please?
well, if I'm to be treasurer, I would charge you a heavy entrance fee: normal fans pay one cocktail, number one fans pay a crate of beer, dictators buy the whole place drinks all night - just to smooth the path for your dictatorship, of course

that's my 2 cents.
heather

Post by heather »

uhm. hi. your "cents" are meaningless in my dictatorship. here i deal in the only thing that matters: beer.

as dictator the fanclub would be deemed useless because as a dictator you don't need a group of people to consult with you. you ARE the consultant, the iron fist, the supreme authority. like stalin.

i would rule like stalin, but i'd replace the killing and all the fucked up stuff with things like: "drink until you fall over" day and things like that. beer would flow through the streets. no, really, it would be like venice but you could drink the beer as you passed over it, and beer would be free for everyone. see? life would be drunk and ever so grand if i was dictator.
i would still have secret police, but they wouldn't drag you out of your bed at night, throw you in jail and beat you. they would ask, "do you need a beer? here ya go!" instead of being called the SS, Gestapo or etc, they would be called...the PBR Police.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

HAhahahaha. But seriously now, PBR Police only? I like beer, but if I had to be woken up, I would prefer it be by the Bloody Mary Fairies, or say, the Morning Mimosa Mafia.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

heather wrote:as dictator the fanclub would be deemed useless because as a dictator you don't need a group of people to consult with you. you ARE the consultant, the iron fist, the supreme authority. like stalin.
ah, I see, you would be one of those really tough dictators, sorry that I didn't spot that straightaway.
well, I never really wanted to be treasurer, anyway! or a fanclub for that matter... although I suppose an Elec-tronic Salon & Discussion Table t-shirt would be cool.
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

I wonder what it was like for Nirvana's fans?
or Soundgarden?
junkyardtodd

Post by junkyardtodd »

Back in the day,(i love saying that) i was a HUGE Soul Asylum fan, 'Hang Time' was my all time favorite album n all that...
When 'Grave Dancers Union' came out, before it was a hit, i remember thinking it wasn't as good, i didn't have the burning desire to play it for everyone, it just didn't speak to me. So when they were really popular, I had no interest in seeing them, n after 'grave dancers' they crashed mightily to earth with a record so horrible it caused me actual physical pain to listen to. It took me a year to get 'candy from a stranger', but it turned out to be a completely great record, which got exactly zero airplay, n sold maybe 65 copies.
My point (and i do have one) is that the kind of records that become mass pop hits do not seem to resonate at the same frequency as records that inspire me (and i'm guessing, all 317 of us on this board) to play a CD 3 times a day, discuss least fave songs, n name exotic beverages after the band.
If TLW ever become truly gigantic, it probably be with a record that you don't like quite as much...

and btw: i was incredibly happy for Dave Pirner & Co. for the success that I thought they had truly earned, but it made me very self-conscious to list Soul Asylum as a core influence.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

My point (and i do have one) is that the kind of records that become mass pop hits do not seem to resonate at the same frequency as records that inspire me (and i'm guessing, all 317 of us on this board) to play a CD 3 times a day, discuss least fave songs, n name exotic beverages after the band.
Although I strongly agree about back in the day being a great expression, I don't quite agree with your point of view.

I loved Grave Dancers Union, thought it was Soul Asylum's most consistent album until then and totally understood how that would be the album to make it into a bigger audience.
I loved The Lemonheads' It's A Shame About Ray, it resonated with ever fiber in my body.
I loved Nevermind beyond three times a day (which is why I never ever have to play it again for the rest of my life).

I saw Nirvana live at a festival with 50.000 others and despite the sheer enormity of it all it was great, so many people digging the same music - the size of the crowd just seemed to emphasize the impact.
I saw Soul Asylum in a bigger venue than they used to play (still not huge, about 2000 capacity) with an audience that knew 'the hit-single' and was not ready to expand their minds beyond that - being stared at for singing along (soundless, mind) and dancing is not my idea of an evening of mutual enjoyment.

My point being that if TLW get so huge that when they play a festival a minor earthquake is registered from all the jumping up and down, I'm all for it! If they are the flavor of the month and not truly moving people with their music, I'm not for it. But hey, if that hit song will enable them to make music on their own terms, we'll bear it and stick out the hype; after all we have the LW cocktail to sustain us...
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

The Barenaked Ladies were never Huge until stunt. We all kind of accepted their general push into stardom, and got along with the crowd, but they kept their intimacy with the crowd and us, so it didn't suck. Their newest record however... not that great. I guess...i kinda moved on from them, my tastes evolved, but that's because BNL was my band from high school on. Some people dug nirvana, me... BNL.