Make mine a Long Winter....

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Make mine a Long Winter....

Post by Betty Felon »

At the Subterranean show, a new drink was created by Eric and coined The Long Winter. It's a white russian with Baily's instead of cream.

It's sweet and rich, but packs an insanely powerful punch. How appropriate is that?

Everyone start ordering them in bars and spread the word. giddyup!
stephanie

i am listening to superchunk & drinking coffee. yay.

Post by stephanie »

This drink was actually created when I went to buy Eric and I White Russians at the Metro and the girl at the bar upstairs had run out of cream.
Ms. Bartender asked, "Uh, do you just want me to make it with Bailey's instead?" and I shrugged, which prompted her to say, "Do you realise how fucked up you're going to be after this?" (I had, earlier in the evening, purchased and consumed 3 Long Island Iced Teas from her.)

In any case, it's really fucking good.
And 100% alcoholic.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Three Long Island Iced Teas and a Long Winter? That's like 8+ shots! If that was me, I wouldn't be able to remember my name or where I lived.

Please note that Stephanie is a spritely little twig. Damn....girl can hold her liquor! Rock and roll.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: Make mine a Long Winter....

Post by Moni »

edit: yikes
Last edited by Moni on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoveSickJerk

*hic, i'm not an alcoholic, they go to meetings

Post by LoveSickJerk »

White Russians require Kahlua, a mexican coffee liquer, which is very smooth, and gives most of the taste to the drink. It's also the drink of The Dude.

I personally favor the Jack Daniels (with or without coke is fine) and shots of tequila--without training wheels might i add. That is the only part of drinking i am proud of, holding my Tequila.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: *hic, i'm not an alcoholic, they go to meetings

Post by Liesbeth »

Can I be the one who puts in a good word for sparkling mineral water?
It's not a matter of principle, but I can't drink any alcohol at the moment and it sucks reading all this.
The upside is I don't have to worry about hangovers. And I save money, for stuff like cds...
Cynical_Satan
Current Heading: North

Post by Cynical_Satan »

Two drinks: Absinthe + Jagermeister

The one is a mild hallucinogenic, and the other might be one if you really knew everything they put in it. Grant you, I don't mix these -- that'd be enough to knock you out for a long time.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I'm sorry but the drink that shall be known henceforth as the Long Winter already exists and its contents, as created by Ms. Metro Bartender, are non-negotiable. It's Vodka, Kaluha, and Bailey's.

But Liz, I do feel your pain as vodka is my I-almost-died-in-college alcohol. I find it physically, mentally, and spiritually repulsive, and avoid it at all costs. The Long Winter is the exception that properly breaks the rules.

Much like John's molester mustache and white pants, it somehow works through strength of its sweetness and unabashed sincerity.

This drink earnestly wants to get you wasted.

Also--my sympathies Liesbeth. Seeing as the drink is 100% alcoholic, I don't see why sparkling mineral water couldn't be the Virgin Long Winter.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

This sounded so lawyerly that I thought I'd just go that extra mile....in moon boots.
Betty Felon wrote:I'm sorry but the drink that shall be known henceforth as the Long Winter already exists and its contents, as created by Ms. Metro Bartender, are non-negotiable.

BE IT RESOLVED, that Betty Felon, President and Betty Felon, Secretary, for in behalf of and in the name of Fans Who Have No Right To Name Stuff, Inc., a Corporation of the State of My Imagination, be and they are hereby authorized to sign a message board officially transferring the name of the beverage (alcoholic) commonly known as a "White Russian with Bailey's instead of Cream" to a "Long Winter".

The Legal description is as follows:

- 1 1/2 oz Vodka
- 3/4 oz Kahlua
- 3/4 oz Bailey's Irish Cream

Mix vodka and Kahlua together, float Baily's on top.

I do further certify the above and foregoing is a full, true and correct copy of a resolution duly adopted at a regular (Special) meeting of the Board of Directors of said Corporation held pursuant to notice as required by the by-laws of said Corporation, on October 15, 2003, at which meeting a quorum was present and voted, all as reflected by the minutes of said meeting.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto affixed the corporate seal of said Corporation, on this 15th day of October, 2003.

(I'm procrastinating doing real work.)
Moni

Post by Moni »

Okay so instead of cream+1 kind of coffee liqueur, an LW is one kind of liqueur plus another kind of coffee liqueur (aside from vodka obbligato, which I still think should be replaced with whisky).

Betty, I’m totally confused now, but that all sounds very cool actually, especially since I just had a lovely red wine (Burgenländer Zweigelt 2001 says the bottle but who cares!!). (I’ll have some mineral water later just for Liesbeth, and well, my anti-dehydration plan).

That said, Jack Daniels=nice, and I haven’t worn moon boots for years.
Nice seal.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

What is there to be confused about? Kahlua is a coffee liqeur, but Bailey's is not coffee related. Bailey's is a mixture of cream, chocolate, and irish whiskey(so there's your whiskey).

The drink can actually be viewed as somewhat scientifically ideal. All that glorious sugar will get the alcohol (which is where the vodka plays it's main part) to your blood faster. And the two liqeurs are not at all redundant, but compliment each other quite well.

Coffee contains everyone's favorite stimulant, caffeine, allowing you to become more alert, animated, attentive and your best most charmingest self. Meanwhile, the chocolate in the Bailey's releases phenylethylamine and seratonin into the brain causing a rise in blood pressure and increased heart rate inducing that feeling of euphoria, well being, and passion commonly associated with being in love.

Therefore, A Long Winter is Love. Q.E.D.

This drink just keeps getting better and better....
Moni

Post by Moni »

Betty Felon wrote:What is there to be confused about? Kahlua is a coffee liqeur, but Bailey's is not coffee related. Bailey's is a mixture of cream, chocolate, and irish whiskey(so there's your whiskey).

Now that explains a few things. 2 kinds of coffee liqueur in 1 drink would’ve been unsettling. Or something.
Who for the love of god told me Bailey’s was coffee liqueur? That meanie.

But you’re right then, an LW contains pretty much every stimulant nature has to offer. Neat! (tho caffeine and sugar (and quite a few sorts of drinks) don’t really have an effect on me – for some reason I seem to be immune against certain drugs/drug-like stuff – weird)
Midori

Post by Midori »

Liz wrote:Who for the love of god told me Bailey’s was coffee liqueur?

Yea, I thought it was too...I guess it's just because people always put it in coffee, you know? Bah. This drink sounds good, but how does it taste, really?
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

mmmmm... a long island iced winter
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

i'd like a shirley temple please.

i was never much of a drinker and since i have been sick for about a month now i haven't drank at all in quite a while.

when i was old enough to go to bars i started w/screwdrivers. i don't like the taste of alcohol so anything that was fruity to cover up the alcohol taste was good. i soon moved on to fuzzy navels. and i've drank a few lemon drops in my time.
when i was younger and going to after hours parties my best friend at the time and i would always bring boons. my god how lame were we? we got so picked on too.
after being around some hardcore party drinkers this past year i learned to drink beer. i'm a beer drinker now. i will take a bud usually (*cough*whitetrash*cough* ;) )but my beer of choice is a heineken.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:but my beer of choice is a heineken.

"Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"-- Blue Velvet

Sorry, couldn't resist.
wonderbex

Re: Make mine a Long Winter....

Post by wonderbex »

Betty Felon wrote:At the Subterranean show, a new drink was created by Eric and coined The Long Winter. It's a white russian with Baily's instead of cream.

Not to rain on the drink-inventing parade and especially not to take "Drink Inventor" off of Mr. Corson's c.v., but, for the sake of accuracy, I believe that a white russian (vodka, cream, kahlua) with Bailey's instead of cream is a Mudslide (vodka, kahlua, irish cream liquor).

http://www.absoluterecipes.com/beverages/mudslide.html

But, we could start referring to Mudslides as Long Winters. The fine folks at T.G.I.Fridays might get a little confused, but a little confusion is good for the ego or lack thereof.

(i had a very dear friend who was studying for the bartending exam and i would quiz him with his mixed-drink flashcards; this is the only reason why i know what's in a mudslide, i swear. i SWEAR.)
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Hahahaha, yeah, bartenders have been looking at me like I'm wearing tinfoil, but I will not relent.

There actually is a small difference though. The mudslide is equal parts Bailey's, Kahlua, and Vodka, whereas the Long Winter has a shit load of vodka and the liquors are just sugar that helps the medicine go down....at least that was how my bar did the White Russian.

We could consider adding a splash of Amaretto (almond) or Chambord (raspberry) to distinguish it further....but thats running the risk of being annoyingly complicated to make and/or a ten dollar drink you'd find in a trendy hipster trance lounge.

And there's nothing wrong with knowing your beverages. It's one of my favorite hobbies (and used to be my job.)
sean
consigliere

hmm

Post by sean »

i wonder what's in a corson.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Betty Felon wrote:We could consider adding a splash of Amaretto (almond) or Chambord (raspberry) to distinguish it further

How about CINNAMON?!?