"...gave away every shred of their dignity"

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

"...gave away every shred of their dignity"

Post by NatureBoy »

From the DCFC Tour Diary:
October 8, Iowa City: The club was dark and dirty, but there was an added element of one of our old friends promoting the show. After the show the Long Winters played the after party and it was awesome. In their words, they just about gave away every shred of their dignity. They played a large number from their regular set including the Madonna cover, as well as one of my favorite Sean and John renditions of Simon and Garfunkel’s "The Only Living Boy in New York." But all "dignity" went out the window with Sean screaming out Soundgarden's "Out Shine (sic)." It was a great night.
Sounds like a great show/after party...who went?
stephanie

my five cents

Post by stephanie »

We was there.
The debauchery (i.e. 2-hour almost-acoustic set) went down at an Italian eatery called the Mill. I consumed no fewer than ten (10) gin gimlets during the course of said evening in Iowa City, I don't even remember who I bought drinks for anymore, and our Travelodge room had box elder beetles in it.
It was probably one of the best nights of my life, "Outshined" notwithstanding.

Warranting mention #2 in that particular record of events, my best friend and I are the "great young ladies" who are also "a little bit crazy, but devoted."

If I had a nickel for every bar fight I got into about that, I'd have.. um.. one nickel.
NatureBoy

Post by NatureBoy »

Sounds fantastic - I wish I was there!

When they get back to Seattle we should have a big party...who's in?!?
mildlyrestarted

Re: my five cents

Post by mildlyrestarted »

stephanie wrote: my best friend and I are the "great young ladies" who are also "a little bit crazy, but devoted."
apologies for disgressing, but i was just thinking about how a few of my friends, my family, the bands, and chris have all mentioned that we're a bit off for following this rock tour. i don't see how it's so extreme? the way we indulge our passion for great (live) music is by seeing our favorite bands where ever and when ever we can.

how many times have you watched your favorite movie? listened to your favorite song? hung out with your favorite friend?

am i overreacting? bitter? maybe.. but i'm actually really just curious. do you guys think we're totally bananas?
NatureBoy

Post by NatureBoy »

mildlyrestarted wrote:...we're a bit off for following this rock tour. i don't see how it's so extreme
I don't think it's too extreme to follow a rock band on tour, it sounds like fun. Many wish they could, myself included.

But, I guess it's all up to that particular band to pass judgement as to what flies and what doesn't! =)
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Laura,

Don't waste your time being bitter. The bands are flattered, parents always think their kids are crazy, and your friends wish they had something to feel so passionate about.

For me, seeing as I'm still going through Long Winters Live Show Detox from only one city, I think it would be a too-much-cake-for-breakfast experience, but that's me.

I think it's incredibly kickass cool that you guys did that, and from Chris' diary entry, I think he really appreciates the acknowledgment that touring is grueling and isolating. (aw, poor rockstars....)

If being passionate about something is crazy, BE CRAZY. Sanity is lame.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Personally, I call people crazy who like their holidays lying on a beach for 14 days. I love combining my free time with music, although two gigs two days apart is the most I have to show for. Must say your schedule, although tempting, sounded pretty hectic, that might qualify for crazy. But then that would mean the bands you were following are crazy as well, when really they are mere servants of us, avid fans, who demand to see them live as much as possible. Bless them for touring like madmen!
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

mildlyrestarted wrote:do you guys think we're totally bananas?
ummm, in a word...yes.

actually no, not really. you and i have chatted about this before tho. i really don't find it all that strange. mostly because i understand and if able would probably do the same thing. i think for those that don't feel the same way, they just don't understand and therefore find you completely lacking sanity. it's one of those things that if someone doesn't understand they just never really will.

i mean i spent over a thousand dollars to go to LA for basically a weekend to see some friends play a couple shows. i'm sure, actually i know, that there were quite a few people who thought i was crazy, but it was something that meant a lot to me.
so basically, yea, i get it.

just do what makes ya happy, that's what really matters, screw the rest.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

if i may weigh in on this thread as a voice of experience, i think you guys are worrying a bit too much 'bout it all. i mean, what are y'all, like early 20's? back then we thought 'nuthin of hittin the road in my datsun 310 and followin the Replacements or Dinosaur Jr (or Husker Du, Circle Jerks, Big Black-wait, maybe we were nuts...) all over flippin new england. i look back on those times as the best ever, n don't really remember caring if anyone else understood. You guys n gals should live it up while ya can. i mean now its a big deal if i drive to Ft Worth to see a show...
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

nah, you're right. i was just a little embarrassed from all of the negativity i was feeling.

i hope i never grow up.