Be Kind To ...

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

wonderbex

Be Kind To ...

Post by wonderbex »

So this totally random stranger guy friendster messages me? And he's like, wow you were at the death cab show and you really liked that other band, the band with the jack osbourne guy and the lead singer who dresses like donald sutherland the english teacher?

and i said, "guilty as charged!" (and i did not engage this random person in his assessments of the band members because i was chuckling)

So then i was telling a co-worker that i was mildly weirded out that this random person had friendster messaged me after observing my unabashed dorkitude, and she said, (i paraphrase because it was early this morning and i was un-caffeinated), ahem, she said, "you were rocking out? i thought that band was all emo and shizzy! what do they sound like?" and so i played her "new girl" because it rocks.

and it should also be stated, as a given circumstance, that we work in an environment in which it is quite possible that "i love the 80s strikes back" might be blasting through the office on these speakers that they have posted above our heads.

and so, as the song launches into the chorus, the planets aligned and just as the lyric "Be Kind to --" is playing from my 'puter's crizzappy speakers, the segment on Menudo comes up on the episode of i love the 80s (1984, actually) and the audio pours out of the speakers above my head while the sexy-sexy little boys of Menudo start dancing on the TV screen to my left. And the two of us shriek, "MENUDO!" in joyful retrograde nostalgia.

As in, the scene sounded something like this:
"Be Kind to" // "MENUDO!"

and then we looked at each other in shock at the perfect synchronicity of it all and as the chorus came back around, sure enough, all we could hear was, "be kind to Menudo."

i'm sorry, but i had to do it to the rest of you. Because, friends, if anyone needs a little kindness, it's Menudo.

Be Kind to Menudo.
Be Kind to Menudo.

man, it was like fu*king pop culture syzygy.

(oh, poo, fork me gently with a handsaw! i really must get back to work! aroo!)
heather

Post by heather »

oh you. you're so very.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

heather wrote:oh you. you're so very.

how perfect that a heather would say that. :)
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

hehehe, very very! I promise to be kind to menudo. Except Ricky Martin.

Okie, I'll be kind to Ricky. To his face.

(I know what syzygy means from the x-files.)
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Wow, hey, "syzygy" is a real word! Due to the word "crizzappy" (or is that a word too?) appearing in a previous sentence, I assumed that "syzygy" was something that had been snoopified and I was just too white to figure it out.

Well....neat...syzygy. See Betty learn.

Here is the definition for those of you, who like me, quit watching the Xfiles directly following the movie, when it became clear that Scully and Mulder were never gonna get it on:

Quick definitions (syzygy)* noun:   the straight line configuration of 3 celestial bodies (as the sun and earth and moon) in a gravitational system

Btw wonderbex, now that I get it, "pop culture syzygy", very nice....er...whatever literary device that is.

Image (Wow. Was it really ok for guys to wear speedos then? Thankfully, I don't remember. Well, Humanity, we've at least made some progress there.)
Midori

Post by Midori »

smelllikelime wrote:(I know what syzygy means from the x-files.)

Haha! Me too! And check it out, in Betty's post, Menudo's going in a straight line! What are the odds!? Cosmic, indeed.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

I haven't a clue who Menudo are, so that part of the story goes by me completely.
But the Donald Sutherland reference was quite enough to make this worthwile...
wonderbex

syzygy and thizzings

Post by wonderbex »

rad, i never knew that x-files also rocked the syzygy tip. i'm just a riot nrrrrrd who wanted to be an astronaut when she grew up, i guess that's why the word is burned into my brizzain.

Menudo, FYI, is only the best boy band with a rotating cast of characters to come out of puerto rico.
http://www.musicofpuertorico.com/en/menudo.html
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

That was very enlightning... now I understand why R. Martin was mentioned as said act were responsible for breaking R. Martin.
I was already ill, but now I think I'm going to be sick as well.

btw, a menudo sounds like a chocolate bar of a disputable nature.
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

You wouldn't have to wait until after the movie to learn what syzygy is, that was in the third season in the episode called.. well.. Syzygy. (If anyone doubted my extreme nerdiness before...) It was such a great episode.. these two evil high school chicks start killing any kid that pisses them off and Mulder and Scully bicker the whole time, then Mulder gets really drunk.. uh oh, I think I'm gonna have to break the dvd's out and watch some old school x-files today...

I tried looking up exactly what Menudo was in the dictionary, but it wasn't there. I've heard it's some terrible Puerto Rican dish.. possibly made from the stomach of some animal. Or am I thinking of haggis...
heather

Post by heather »

smelllikelime wrote:
(I know what syzygy means from the x-files.)

me TOO! i love that episode.
the new girl

Post by the new girl »

smelllikelime wrote:I tried looking up exactly what Menudo was in the dictionary, but it wasn't there. I've heard it's some terrible Puerto Rican dish.. possibly made from the stomach of some animal. Or am I thinking of haggis...

I've never had it, so I can't really judge, but I will say it doesn't sound too appetizing. It's a Mexican dish with hominy, chili and tripe (along with some spices). Tripe is what deterrs me, it's the stomach lining of a cow...

Now I'm not so hungry for dinner anymore...
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

The hominy part isn't so bad. In northern Mexico, every town has a menuderia in it. As a cafeteria is to coffee (in the Spanish-speaking world) so a menuderia is to menudo. Literally, the word means "soon" or "minute" (my-newt, not mih-nut) -- a dish that you have a little of, or that doesn't take long to prepare.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

smelllikelime wrote:You wouldn't have to wait until after the movie to learn what syzygy is, that was in the third season in the episode called.. well.. Syzygy. (If anyone doubted my extreme nerdiness before...) It was such a great episode.. these two evil high school chicks start killing any kid that pisses them off and Mulder and Scully bicker the whole time, then Mulder gets really drunk.. uh oh, I think I'm gonna have to break the dvd's out and watch some old school x-files today...

yes! the orangejuice-vodka!
didn't they have quite a lot lighthearted episodes during that season?
i seem to remember clyde bruckman's final repose/war of the coprophages (another spiffy word!)/quagmire were all the same year...?
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

grant wrote:so a menuderia is to menudo. Literally, the word means "soon" or "minute" (my-newt, not mih-nut) -- a dish that you have a little of, or that doesn't take long to prepare.

That sounds remarkably like my suggested chocolate bar. The tripe would explain its disputable nature. Don't the mexicans use lots of chocolate in their food?

As for sick, I think Betty's new avatar qualifies. Brutal!
Happy H.day, girl.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Liesbeth wrote:As for sick, I think Betty's new avatar qualifies. Brutal!

Best. Avatar. Ever.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Gracias. Don Hertzfeldt is a genius.

I just ate a inside out reese's peanut butter cup. That's right...chocolate on the inside, peanut butter on the outside. It was AWESOME. I love halloween.
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

Liz wrote:didn't they have quite a lot lighthearted episodes during that season?
i seem to remember clyde bruckman's final repose/war of the coprophages (another spiffy word!)/quagmire were all the same year...?

And of course 'Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"' CLASSIC.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

I know the word "Avatar" from an X-Files episode.
Mite

Post by Mite »

Actually, it was Neal Stephenson who first used the word avatar to refer to a representation of a person on the internet.
</nerd>