People shouldn't yell out dumb sh*t at LW shows...

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:57 pm

heather, we need to make out.

sean
consigliere

Postby sean » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:59 pm

one day someone will yell "flagpole sitta" as a joke and the long winters will play that fucker and it will be a joyful noise.

one day, someone will approach me at a show, or in line at the bank and say "hey, you look like jack osbourne" with hostility and i will smile and say, "hey, thanks, chum."

one day, i will learn to love myself the way i love my friends. and the way my friends love themselves.

and on that day, the rivers will turn to blood, the clouds will drip fire, and my cat will shit cash money. until then, please be advised that these are sensitive subjects, and that i'm sorry they are.

tomorrow, i will ride a horse and hopefully not throw my back out.
love,
sean

sean
consigliere

oh yeah,

Postby sean » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:00 pm

and the eagle flies with the dove.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:10 pm

i used to get kelly osbourne all the time. i feel your pain with that complaint.

at least someone didn't walk up to you in the mall and say, "kelly osbourne?!? why don't you come over here and autograph my dick with your lipgloss?"

i win!

love,
laura

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:33 pm

sean wrote:one day someone will yell "flagpole sitta" as a joke and the long winters will play that fucker and it will be a joyful noise.

one day, someone will approach me at a show, or in line at the bank and say "hey, you look like jack osbourne" with hostility and i will smile and say, "hey, thanks, chum."

one day, i will learn to love myself the way i love my friends. and the way my friends love themselves.

and on that day, the rivers will turn to blood, the clouds will drip fire, and my cat will shit cash money. until then, please be advised that these are sensitive subjects, and that i'm sorry they are.

Shit, not that I ever would, but remind me to never ever, ever, EVER, mention the stuff above.

p.s. Does this mean that pointing out the Garfunkle similarities is OK? ;)

-Chris

cassidy*

Postby cassidy* » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:33 pm

did somebody say THE POSTAL SERVICE? yay.

that made me happy.

But this is the long winters site.

it still made me happy.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:37 pm

mildlyrestarted wrote:heather, we need to make out.

WOOOOOOOO! Wait, what message board is this? :)

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:43 pm

Unremarkable wrote:
Shit, not that I ever would, but remind me to never ever, ever, EVER, mention the stuff above.

i think he just did. :)

wonderbex

but we love you, sean

Postby wonderbex » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:35 pm

sean wrote:one day someone will yell "flagpole sitta" as a joke and the long winters will play that fucker and it will be a joyful noise.

love,
sean

so i think the board is getting you a dog? the kind of dog that barks? and we've trained him to bark "Ri ruv ru" like that dog from the little ceasars' commercial of yore. or the sample of the dog barking "ri ruv ru" at the top of the beastie boys' "sureshot." i daresay, it's the very same dog. i mean, really, how many dogs can there be who can bark "ri ruv ru" and make us 100% certain that said dog is actually *trying* to tell us "i love you?" not many, my friend. Not many, that is, until now -- for we have procured for you another puppy who is trained in the same methods of barkage. And he means it. Because the puppy understands English. Really, he does. Like, duh.

and then you will feel soooooooo loved. not just by the puppy. but by the puppy representing people who dig you. And the puppy will bark, "Ri ruv ru" and you will think, "oh, how this barky little puppy transcends his own physical boundaries to include all those crazy cats who love me."

and then you will see RAINBOWS! and UNICORNS!

luv,
bex

omphale

Postby omphale » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:56 am

I have been known to threaten to beat up people who yell 'Freebird' at shows. Of course, mostly people just think I'm hitting on them. Unless my little brother is backing me up.

Somehow, the most out of control heckling seems to come from people who are obviously really big fans. Several years ago, before much of anyone here in minnesota knew about DCFC, I went to see them at an intimate little venue where they were bombarded with obnoxious commentary by several guys who seemed to know all the lyrics to their songs. I was dumbfounded, and later asked Chris if they were friends, thinking that was the only way their behavior could possibly make any sense. He said he'd never seen the guys before and that they had more or less ruined the show for him.

So what's going on with that kind of crap?

Granted, part of being a performer is having the poise to handle your audience, but when it's your biggest fans causing you the biggest trouble, there's a problem.

omphale

Postby omphale » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:00 am

sorry for my downer of a return-to-topic. carry on with the rainbows and girls making out

heather

Postby heather » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:31 pm

mildlyrestarted wrote:heather, we need to make out.

if i played for that team, you would TOTALLY be the first person i called.

sean wrote:and on that day, the rivers will turn to blood, the clouds will drip fire, and my cat will shit cash money. until then, please be advised that these are sensitive subjects, and that i'm sorry they are.

my mother has two cats.. hopefully one day they will "shit cash money." then we can go to disneyland.

cassidy* wrote:did somebody say THE POSTAL SERVICE? yay.

that made me happy.

But this is the long winters site.

it still made me happy.

uh, obviously you've missed part of this thread. please re-read and have a report about the topic on my desk tomorrow morning when you arrive at school. failure to do so will end in corporal punishment. and not the fun kind, either.

der blau reiter

Postby der blau reiter » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:10 pm

whenever i find myself at a long winters show, i will totally yell out dumb shit. and all will be swell.

-b

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:22 pm

heather wrote:if i played for that team, you would TOTALLY be the first person i called.

i'll just have to get a coupla PBRs in ya. ;)

Dan
Mod Emeritus

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:09 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:I meant it in the not giving in to crowd pressure, and only doing it when they really feel it. Like Sloan doing Underwhelmed.

I could be amiss here, but I've seen Sloan, what, four times? "Underwhelmed" every single encore. Admittedly, I'm in America, and we're not real Sloan fans...

heather

Postby heather » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:29 am

NEVER SAY THAT! American Sloan fans are the same. Maybe even better. Do I say this because I am a fan of Sloan and live in the States?

Yes.

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Harvey Winters » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:25 am

heather wrote:Or just love whoever you can get next to.. whatever.

That can be incriminating....

John,

Do you REALLY hate "Freebird"?

sean
consigliere

listen

Postby sean » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:47 pm

i hesitate to speak for my confrere, but i believe that neither he nor any other self-respecting fan of rock 'n' roll music (myself included) hates "freebird," or any of the many masterworks in lynyrd skynyrd's fine oeuvre.

what we hate are people who shout the word "freebird" as if it were remotely funny. it's just a thing to say aloud at shows, because "I'm a fucking retard!" is too self-incriminating.

PS
There is an epic, 13-minute version of "freebird" performed by built to spill on some promo CD. i have heard it and it rules.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:42 am

A Question of Conscience.

Dear Long Winters Elec-Tronic Salon,

Last night, I had the great pleasure of leaving my house and going to see Death Cab for Cutie in my hometown. Mates of State opening.

There were occasional shouted requests from the audience for particular Death Cab songs, which were genially rebuffed by the gentlemen in the band, who apparently had little notion of departing from their set list.

I, however, was suddenly overcome with a gleeful, anarchic desire to shout out, "Play some Long Winters! Play 'Blue Diamonds'!"

I realize this isn't exactly socially acceptable behavior, and managed to keep this desire in check. However, I can't help but wonder, would it have been funny? Would it have worked as an obscure joke? Could it even have worked as an actual request?

Sincerely,

Too Much Time To Think in Florida.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:45 am

On a different tack, I'm prepared to offer the World's Funniest Riddle as a reward to whoever comes up with the best band rebuttal ever witnessed (or, possibly, even imagined) to a repeated request for "Freebird."

Return to “Give Me a Moment”