People shouldn't yell out dumb sh*t at LW shows...

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

manz

Re: but we love you, sean

Post by manz »

wonderbex wrote:so i think the board is getting you a dog? the kind of dog that barks? and we've trained him to bark "Ri ruv ru" like that dog from the little ceasars' commercial of yore. or the sample of the dog barking "ri ruv ru" at the top of the beastie boys' "sureshot."

See, Bex, we gotta talk a little about the care and upkeep of a dog. It's endearing, sure, to have a dog who barks "Ri ruv ru" on command, especially when entertaining company. However, "the kind of dog that barks" does so whenever he hears an exciting noise, like a door slamming, a car's engine starting or shutting down, footsteps, particular voices &c. Even and especially if the dog barks "Ri ruv ru" every time Sean's neighbors come home from work, it's going to get very irritating. The message might start to lose its meaning or else become cloying and suffocating after a while. And if this puppy is supposed to represent all of Sean's friends and loved ones, well, what does that say for the future of his most important relationships?
Not to mention the factors of excretory responsibilities at all hours, canine oral fixation and the problems that causes, and the unlikelihood that Sean is going to bring a dog on tour.

If it's gonna take a cute animal to get Sean's cat to shit money, I'd recommend a parrot. True, a parrot never will be quite as motivational-poster-inspiring as a cute puppy, but it has its advantages, like portability and ease of maintenance. We can teach the parrot to say "I love you" in that cute lilting parrot inflection, with a squawk at either end of the phrase. And it can sit on Sean's shoulder, which is just about the epitome of cool, especially on someone as tall as Sean is. I'd bet you could do a hell of a pirate impersonation, Nelson.
A parrot does have its drawbacks, like the sharp beak and claws and the tendency to scream a lot, but if Sean tires of his parrot's carryings-on, he can just throw a blanket over the cage and forget about it.
Noooooooo friction!
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

manz wrote:(...)and the unlikelihood that Sean is going to bring a dog on tour.
(...) True, a parrot never will be quite as motivational-poster-inspiring as a cute puppy, but it has its advantages, like portability and ease of maintenance.

if you are seriously suggesting the parrot can come on tour, then I'd say teach it the line "no, you are" as well
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I nominate Milton Creagh.
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

Sean, would you really want Flagpole Sitta requested? I've considered requesting an HD tune at the shows but was too afraid to do it.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Question: If and when Harvey Danger has their supposed reuniun show, would they play Flagpole Sitta? Also, do you regret writing that song?
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

That show is going to be sweet. Getting goosebumps just thinking about it. It's a long way to Seattle. Saddle up, partner.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Damien_82 wrote:Sean, would you really want Flagpole Sitta requested? I've considered requesting an HD tune at the shows but was too afraid to do it.

Uh-Oh Spaghettios! (Ya'll need to reread this thread a bit more carefully.)

Le sigh. "[Supremely Talented Tortured Moody Artists] the source of and solution to all [fans] problems."
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

manz wrote: If it's gonna take a cute animal to get Sean's cat to shit money, I'd recommend a parrot.

Parrots? No, no, no.

A seal. That's the thing. Like this one. Or these here. Educated seals.

Wish I had a Harvard professor teaching me to talk, back in my formative years.
Harry Kellerman

Post by Harry Kellerman »

grant wrote:Wish I had a Harvard professor teaching me to talk, back in my formative years.

Not all it's cracked up to be, dude.
wonderbex

Post by wonderbex »

Harry Kellerman wrote:
grant wrote:Wish I had a Harvard professor teaching me to talk, back in my formative years.

Not all it's cracked up to be, dude.

Harry Kellerman, do you mean to say that you are, indeed, a TALKING SEAL?!!!?
(interrobang)
You're a talking seal who uses the internet? and frequents message boards??!!! (interrobang).

That is just the coolest thing ever.

man. the long winters have rad-ass fans. i bet, like, nada surf doesn't have a talking seal for a fan.
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

Did you think I missed it?...No, I got it, Betty, but thanks for the nudge. Just messing around. I would pay cash money (loads of it) to see Flagpole played live though. Good tune.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Damien_82 wrote:Did you think I missed it?...No, I got it, Betty, but thanks for the nudge. Just messing around.

Oh I see. You're not fighting, you're flirting. Well, I hope its exciting...

;) jk.
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

Will you be my girlfriend?
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Not if youre gonna be flirting with Sean. I can't compete with that.
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

Rejected.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Damien_82 wrote:Rejected.

BURN!
Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Harvey Winters »

sean wrote:One day, i will learn to love myself the way i love my friends. and the way my friends love themselves.

Ironically, there's a Tori Amos song called "Winter" that asks the very same question of you...
Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: listen

Post by Harvey Winters »

sean wrote:...people who shout the word "freebird" as if it were remotely funny. it's just a thing to say aloud at shows, because "I'm a fucking retard!" is too self-incriminating...

I've had time to think on this, and there maybe a psychological
explination that might shed some light on the reasons for the
"Freedbird" request/idiocy:

Follow me on this "If ya wee"-Dusty Rhodes:

Everyone, owns, or has heard (YES, YOU HAVE!!!!!) the live version
of the song, which of course is preceded by the late, Ronnie Van Zandt's query to the crowd:

"What song is it you wanna hear"?

To which, comes the obvious response, that is the subject of our discussion...

Now, myself, being OLD enough to remember the day of the ill-fated crash, I wore out 3 needles (I'll explain later) listening to that song...

So, for me, and possibly, for others , we have that "longing" link.
I WANTED to be in the crowd with all those other fans and scream "FREEBIRD" at the top of my lungs....
I'd love to hear a lead singer ask the "musical question", and then let it fly...

There was a time, for a very long time that shouting "Freebird" was bloody sacrelige (SP? FU) I was at a Rossington Collins show where an instrumental version of the song almost caused a riot...

As a former band member, we used "Freebird" as vengance for a grossly abridged set, imposed by some asshole club owner, who overbooked the stage...

I'd like to see it brought back as a true tribute, I'll BET John does a great impersonation of RVZ...

Then again, I might just very well be a "fuckin' retard"

On that note, and since we live in a politically correct world, one would actually shout:

"I'm fucking developmentally disabled"

M'kay?
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

The best and only response that a band can have to a shouted Freebird request is to play the song flawlessly from beginning to end, but that involves having a great piano player, three guitarists who all rule, (including a great slide player), and the will to actually play the whole 'live version' version with deadly earnestness.

The Long Winters can not, at this time, meet the minimum requirements.

If such a band ever materializes I can do a fairly passable vocal interpretation of Mr. VZ.

And I suspect, Grant, that calling out Long Winters requests at a DCFC show might get you a verse and chorus of Unsalted Butter, or they might have you removed.
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

I call dibs on the piano part. I'll fax you my resume.