People shouldn't yell out dumb sh*t at LW shows...

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

John wrote:And I suspect, Grant, that calling out Long Winters requests at a DCFC show might get you a verse and chorus of Unsalted Butter, or they might have you removed.

Ah. Just as well I didn't, then.
Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Harvey Winters »

John, maybe you can try the "What song is it you wanna hear" line at a show, just to see what kinda response you get...

I promise to shout "NORA"!!!!!!!
Intrpdtrvlr

Post by Intrpdtrvlr »

At the LW in East Lansing, there were a few obligatory "Freebird" calls. Strangely, no one called out for the infamous song I will only refer to as "F.S." Amidst this all, I successfully resisted a strong urge to shout out "Meetings With Remarkable Men!" or "Play Defrocked!" Thank the lord for self-restraint.

Also, some drunk guy asked me who the keyboard player was and seemed very unsatisfied with my simple reply of "Sean Nelson." Isn't it enough to just be who you are? Oh well.
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

I mistakenly made the mistake....
("It's-a myyyyyy mistaaaaaaaaake"!!!!--Python)
Seeing Sean for the 1st time in years, last time being the WHATMG tour...
My friend Avi and I shouted "Pike St" at Maxwell's NJ as he was setting up...
We did it bcuz we wanted him to know we were here as fans of HD and supported him in his newest venture...
Later he came down and didn't admonish, but respectfully pleaded for us not to shout HD requests, it was then that we felt like a-holes....
But we learned our lesson...

I still don't get it tho'...
I mean, back in the day when you could hold your head up and say "Phil Collins" without being laughed at, he used to do "In The Air Tonite" and Mike and the Mechanics "Silent Running" at Genesis shows....

You ask Paul Mcartney to sing "Hey Jude", and he'll start wailing "Na-na-na's" before you can finish the question...
And whose breakup was uglier than theirs?

But respect is respect, is R-E-S-P-E-C-T, and I can live w/that...
shredded77

Post by shredded77 »

7) If you yell out "Play some Skynyrd", you deserve immediate castration. This isn't funny unless your name is either Beavis or Butthead. Shut the fuck up, we all know you've never heard Skynyrd. You think Earth Crisis invented music back in 1990. Don't give somebody another reason to stab you.

- From Buddyhead's "Rules for Audiences of Rock"
Harry Kellerman

Post by Harry Kellerman »

Harvey Winters wrote:
I still don't get it tho'...
I mean, back in the day when you could hold your head up and say "Phil Collins" without being laughed at, he used to do "In The Air Tonite" and Mike and the Mechanics "Silent Running" at Genesis shows....

You ask Paul Mcartney to sing "Hey Jude", and he'll start wailing "Na-na-na's" before you can finish the question...
And whose breakup was uglier than theirs?

that's because post-simon genesis, phil collins, and paul mccarteny are all souless corpses.
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

that's because post-simon genesis, phil collins, and paul mccarteny are all souless corpses.

Do you mean "Post Gabriel"?
Who is Simon?
I think you're thinking of Duran Duran...

And calling Paul Mcartney A "Souless Corpse" is utter stupidity....
But I guess it's "punk" or something to bash the Beatles...
Last edited by Harvey Winters on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
LoveSickJerk

A picasso or a garfunkel

Post by LoveSickJerk »

No its not. He should stop whatever he's doing now and not do it anymore.
Harry Kellerman

Post by Harry Kellerman »

Harvey Winters wrote:
Do you mean "Post Gabriel"?
Who is Simon?
I think you're thinking of Duran Duran...

And calling Paul Mcartney A "Souless Corpse" is utter stupidity....
But I guess it's "punk" or something to bash the Beatles...

i meant gabriel, as in "peter gabriel". ever since i was a little kid i always confused the two, even though they don't look or sound that similar, sorry.

but no, i'm not bashing the beatles, if i were bashing the beatles i would have mentioned the beatles. i love the beatles. i am bashing paul mccartney and his post-beatles/post-talent, half-assed, money grubbing attempt at a solo career.

i'm not going to say that requesting songs from a musician who has explicitly asked people to refrain from doing it ages ago (see: page 2 in this thread) is utter stupidity, but it doesn't really attest to the concept that you have any knowledge in judging what is and isn't utter stupdity.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

He made his daughter Stella post-beatles, I doubt for the money, and she's awesome:

http://www.stellamccartney.com

And remember, without Paul's Live and Let Die, we wouldn't have Guns 'n' Roses' Live and Let Die. (I'm not saying which side of this litte tizzy I'm supporting. heh heh. y'all are crackin' me up.)

But as far as whether or not it's ok for a musician to not want to play his old band's songs...I don't think that's something for fans to judge.

Only the musician himself knows the reasons to play or not play the songs. And you can't compare one musican to another either, the reasons are as many and as unique as the musicians themselves.

In other words Sean is not Paul or Phil, Sean is Sean. Hahaha, damn, I'm profound.
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

grant wrote:On a different tack, I'm prepared to offer the World's Funniest Riddle as a reward to whoever comes up with the best band rebuttal ever witnessed (or, possibly, even imagined) to a repeated request for "Freebird."

Like the one that killed all those Germans in WWII?

Hmmmmmm....

"Fuck you, redneck"!!!

"Where Bird?...There bird, there Castle"

"Free James Brown...Again"

"Someone's giving away birds"?