Unconventional Intro

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Burning Bride #7
Current Heading: Ascending

Unconventional Intro

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:12 pm

First-time poster here. I thought I'd make it meaningful, rather than the usual "hi I'm new"-type thing. So my question is... what's you least favorite Long Winters song? Maybe there's a song you usually skip over? Oddly enough, I'd say "Bride And Bridle".

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:17 pm

From being around for awhile, I would say that I believe that the general sentiment around here is that Blanket Hog is the least favorite of many people, sans me of course. Mine's Nora, which is convenient since it's at the end of the record. I have to admit it's growing on me though.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:22 pm

A tie between Government Loans and Shapes. Not that they're bad per say, but they are not shining stars in the celestial body that is The Long Winters.

ChadyzGroove
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby ChadyzGroove » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:14 pm

skipping shapes, oh man. blanket hog is and every other listen skip.

heather

Postby heather » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:22 pm

Shapes? Damn man. Damn. I'd have to go with Blanket Hog. Besides, skipping that song gets me closer to It'll Be a Breeze, which is my favorite song on that album.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:28 am

hmmm....I too would go with Government Loans, but I think it's that first line...it's heavy, powerful heavy stuff, and I can't handle it.

The only song I ever skip on the second album is Bride and Bridle...I used to love it...but the once clever wordplay "bride and bridle are too close in a man's mind..." started to seem like a pun, and has become groan inducing. Which is really tragic because it's a great song otherwise....it's a lush, richly-dyed, cashmere sweater with an itchy tag.

I will never understand the animosity for Blanket Hog. It's so beautiful and tender and bittersweet....it almost makes me cry. I had a Remote Hog once and now I have it all to myself and there's nothing on tv. I'm very glad the setting of my memories isn't my bed.

And Nora? Really? But those lyrics... "she never says I love you till I say I love you like we're exchanging hostages?" The whole song could be humming with just that phrase and I'd love it. I could go on and on about how much I love this song despite the fact that it's telling my least favorite love story.

Focus Betty, this thread is about songs we dont like. I skip songs sometimes, but it's not the songs I don't like.... it's more often that the songs make me feel emotions I don't like.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:29 am

It used to be Scared Straight, but that changed when I heard it live duo-wise, it brought out the guitar line, so that when I hear it now on the record, I can focus on that (and forget those horns, which still don't do it for me).

I'd say Bride & Bridle is my least favourite, and not only because skipping it gets me to Blanket Hog faster - although I often start with that, then play the rest, then start anew, (in the process making Nora a middle song which personally suits me better). Ah, that 'order of songs' topic was done a while ago, back to B&B:
Betty wrote:but it's not the songs I don't like.... it's more often that the songs make me feel emotions I don't like.

'Time, I did my time' makes me feel uncomfortable 99 out of 100 times.
But I think I would love that song live, on the S.A.M. live version the twangy guitar is beautiful.

Other songs that are not among the faves are Hater High and New Girl, not so much because I don't like them, but because the rest is so frigging good.

As for Government Loans, how can you not like it (again the guitars!)? Dito Shapes.
I'm always quite slow to grasp what it is that makes me like certain songs so much, but I begin to see a pattern here, guitar-wise.

stargirl

Postby stargirl » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:32 am

And Nora? Really? But those lyrics... "she never says I love you till I say I love you like we're exchanging hostages?" The whole song could be humming with just that phrase and I'd love it. I could go on and on about how much I love this song despite the fact that it's telling my least favorite love story.

I do have to admit that Nora is my least favorite...although it has one of my favorite LW lines in it...(see above) I love Blanket Hog, I really do, but sometimes I just have to skip over it...it has such a different sound than the other songs on WIPTF, but when I'm more patient I'm thuroughly rewarded.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:43 am

I agree about that line in Nora, it's classic. But like someone above said, one song has to be the redheaded stepchild. I can't believe that people dislike Shapes though. That's a shocker.

omphale

Postby omphale » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:21 am

I guess I'd say Hater High, but not because I actually don't like it, but just because it *doesn't* make me feel anything uncomfortable. A song that doesn't make me uncomfortable is just sounds and words, in an arrangement that may or may not be aurally pleasing. And for that I have my children.

heather

Postby heather » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:40 am

why would you want to feel uncomfortable? i've heard a few songs that have made me feel incontinent, but i immediately stopped listening when that happened.

omphale

Postby omphale » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:53 am

incontinent??!!? What were you listening to, Menudo?

Maybe I should've just said *feel* and then explained that, because I am actually a Vulcan, all feelings are horribly uncomfortable for me And then I should have further explained that since it is my mission to try to understand humanity, one of the things I must do is experience this discomfort as regularly as possible, since it seems to be the thing humans enjoy above everything except Reality TV.

Unremarkable

Postby Unremarkable » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:09 pm

For the record, I don't skip any of the tracks (unless I'm just trying to get closer to New Girl). I am aware that I am the only one not particularly fond of Shapes, and I can accept it, so please do too. Nora is one of my favs, but you have to hear it live to get the full effect, especially when John invokes the "masterbatory" guitar solo near the end. It's classic.

-Chris

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:40 pm

Unremarkable wrote:especially when John invokes the "masterbatory" guitar solo near the end. It's classic.

I thought all guitar solos were masterbatory, if done correctly...

omphale

Postby omphale » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:44 pm

NatureBoy wrote:I thought all guitar solos were masterbatory, if done correctly...

indeed, they are. all solos of any kind, in fact.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:00 am

isn't being in a band masturbatory, period?

you have to totally get off on yourself and want other people to get off on you too in order to get onstage and expose yourself.

oooh, i am craving a mic stand.

Unremarkable

Postby Unremarkable » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:23 pm

NatureBoy wrote:
Unremarkable wrote:especially when John invokes the "masterbatory" guitar solo near the end. It's classic.

I thought all guitar solos were masterbatory, if done correctly...

I was quoting Michael (I think) in an article I read, though he was refering to when they used to play it in the WSH, which had a similar solo.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:45 pm

capernicus. no offense but i freaking hate that song. i dunno why, but it bugs the crap outta me.

it took a while for me to not always skip blanket hog and nora. i can get thru nora now, but blanket hog i end up usually getting about half way thru and then hit the next button.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:51 pm

mildlyrestarted wrote:isn't being in a band masturbatory, period?
you have to totally get off on yourself and want other people to get off on you too in order to get onstage and expose yourself.

i don't agree w/that statement. i don't think that is why most people are in bands or any other form of art/entertainment. i am sure some are that way, but i doubt there are many.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:39 pm

A Brutaful Smile wrote:
i don't agree w/that statement. i don't think that is why most people are in bands or any other form of art/entertainment. i am sure some are that way, but i doubt there are many.

i don't think that's the reason why a person would be in a band, but it's part of the package.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”