crass question

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

junkyardtodd

crass question

Post by junkyardtodd »

back in the day when the fabulous Mrs Junkyard Todd was a VERY IMPORTANT PERSON in the biz, i used to sneak on her computer n check Soundscan for my favorite bands. they always seemed to peak right around 30K. anyone know what TLW is doing? DCFC? the shins?
junkyardtodd

Post by junkyardtodd »

ok, since no one has responded, i withdraw the question, n say, to myself, "i am such an ass"

(this is not news)
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

I think it's a great question....I just don't know the answer.

Any radio station nerds got our back?
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

Wouldn't soundscan have online sales reports?
junkyardtodd

Post by junkyardtodd »

yes, but you have to subscribe, n i think it's kinda expensive.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

It is expensive, and hard information to get under the best of circumstances. I don't actually know the answer, sad to say, and if I did I wouldn't reveal it for fear that my enemies and creditors would use it against me. 30k is a major indie benchmark. We haven't sold that many. But DCFC and the Shins are both way beyond that, as they are both in the upper stratosphere of indie sales.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

Here's a sub-question. Indie records are cheaper to make right? I mean, does Walla charge his friends to record? If you spend less money making the record, my basic economics tell me you could still make some OK money on a record.
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

It seems that everywhere I look I see the name of Chris Walla. He does good work. I should like to meet this gentleman. Would he help me do an album if I asked nicely?
longtimecoming

Post by longtimecoming »

hey i want to start a band. im calling it the fashionestas...does anyone want to help me? im working on my voice. i can make up nice riffs, but i dont know what else do do. i have wonderful lyrics. i need a co writer. i have no mode of transportation, so thats what screwed me up the last time. haha weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
junkyardtodd

Post by junkyardtodd »

my advice, if you want to start a band is, learn to play bass.
in 3 months (if you work hard) you'll be good enough to play with people, and in my experience, guitar players will drive for miles to pick up a bass player. good luck!
esatnik

Soundscan

Post by esatnik »

Dude!
The worse the record, the higher the soundscan.

According to MTV, a certain indie band's (Modest Mouse) last record sold 75,000.

although I hope that Long Winters become rich as all hell, I hope they can keep it real for at least a little while longer. Their next album, Through With Love, will break them through. That song is fucking brilliant. Blows Ben Gibbard's shit out of the water.

Speaking of DCFC. They have been trying to reach commercial success for years, and now they have finally appeared on MTV, and have even been mentioned on the hit TV show OC. What's next? A Gap ad. I love the new record, I just despise the meathead motherfuckers that this attention will inevitably draw. And there will be a certain irony to their KEXP promo, the one that says commercial music makes them "physically ill."
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

It CAN cost less money to make an indie record, although it doesn't always, but the real expenses are all in distributing, promoting and motor-vating a record. The major labels spend millions to promote their bands, so indie labels get buried if they don't find good ways to spend their money. Still, they have to spend lots of money and records aren't profitable until all that money is made back.

I don't think anyone on Barsuk is afraid of making some money, and we're all trying to do it without being ugly or greedy. I was in a guy's office in New York a couple of weeks ago and he went on and on about his commitment to artist integrity and so forth from his twenty-third floor corner office on the Ave of the Americas and it was just amazing. It was like he was reading from a sitcom pilot. I said, 'well, Barsuk has a lot of integrity, I wouldn't really sign a major-label deal looking for integrity.' He said, 'why WOULD you sign a major-label deal?' and I said, 'MONEY!'
bois

Post by bois »

Word on the street is that the new LW album will be called "What I Learned by Naming All My Records to Start With 'W'". It's true. Ask 'em. It's what they told me.
esatnik

Post by esatnik »

John,
You know what is great about you? Your honesty.

What ever happened with you and Sub Pop? I vaguely remember thier propaganda machine describing the Western State Hurricanes as the "next Nirvana"? What happened? Weren't you willing to take the plunge into superstardom? Alot of NW musicians have flipped the bird at corporate success, but you are the only one that appears on Barsuk.
wonderbex

Re: Soundscan

Post by wonderbex »

esatnik wrote:.

Speaking of DCFC. They have been trying to reach commercial success for years, and now they have finally appeared on MTV, and have even been mentioned on the hit TV show OC. What's next? A Gap ad. I love the new record, I just despise the meathead motherfuckers that this attention will inevitably draw. And there will be a certain irony to their KEXP promo, the one that says commercial music makes them "physically ill."

hmmm. i might be THE MAN but i would use DCFC in a Gap ad. licensing fees rock! exposure rocks! for commercial licensing, however, the songwriters have to approve the license. so they could turn me down. integrity or whatnot.

the beegees refused to let me license "stayin' alive" to promote "i love the 70s" because they don't like being associated with the 70s. (eh?)

so, it happens.

and i think there's a big difference between commercial music (music created in order to sell records -- songs written by production teams who crank out hits performed by artists who have no connection to the song) and music used in commercials (don't forget - a lot of the people who make commercials are just like us and they like the same music we like and they want to use their fave song or artist in their spots for whatever reason - maybe the track inspired the script, maybe the mood of a song matches the vibe, maybe they want the rest of the world to discover their fave artist).

anyway. people who make commercials aren't necessarily evil.

ahem.

(i am climbing off my high horse, i promise, but i'm wearing spike heels and it's a little difficult.)
sean
consigliere

Post by sean »

there was a time when i believed commercials were the devil and that bands who licensed their songs to commercials were, in the immortal words of the late bill hicks, "suckers of satan's cock" (you will forgive me for working blue).

i now see no difference between a song in a beer commercial, or gap commercial, or car commercial, and a song being played on the radio. mainly because more people get their music from tv commercials than from the radio.

unfortunately for me, my advertising is satan period coincided with the one time in my life when i could have made millions of dollars by licensing my work to advertisers, but instead opted to pretend i was taking the moral high ground by only licensing stuff to films. like there's any difference between a studio film and a commercial. PLUS, the residual payments i receive from the licenses i did grant are the only steady source of income i have now, nearly six years later.

la la la.
wonderbex

Post by wonderbex »

sean -
i think i'll finally be able to start sleeping at night now.

your corroboration has cleansed my conscience.

in thanks, let's talk licensing.

if one were to weigh my heart on one side of the scales and a feather on the other side, i'd get to be the egyptian pharoah.

that was intended to be a reference to Sesame Street Goes to the Museum but these diet pills make me WACKY.

woo.

bex
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

sean wrote:there was a time when i believed commercials were the devil and that bands who licensed their songs to commercials were, in the immortal words of the late bill hicks, "suckers of satan's cock" (you will forgive me for working blue).

Yes, Mr. Hicks had plenty to say on that subject:

"Here's the deal, folks. You do a commercial - you're off the artistic roll call, forever. End of story. Okay? You're another whore at the captialist gang bang and if you do a commercial, there's a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink"

There is a nice conversation about this topic centering around the Flaming Lips song (Do You Realize?) in a Mitsubishi commercial going on at the HD board.
Midori

Post by Midori »

wonderbex wrote:that was intended to be a reference to Sesame Street Goes to the Museum but these diet pills make me WACKY.

woah. WOAH.

I can't even handle this. That is one awesome piece of television history, right there.

I'm very impressed.
wonderbex

Post by wonderbex »

Thank you. Prince Sahu and his test-of-worth have haunted me for years. Prince Sahu had to prove that his heart was lighter than a feather to the very scary god Osiris so that he could join his parents as stars in the sky.

I think the official name of that show was "Don't Eat the Pictures"

scary scary Osiris haunts me, oh how he haunts me still.