crass question

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

esatnik

Postby esatnik » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:13 pm

Did you just tell me to go fuck myself?

...but, I like your mailing list...it is the other bands that I hate!

...and Please Please Please put out the Through With Love song....

esatnik

Postby esatnik » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:45 pm

>GNFPWLBN??YOU'RE STILL INDIE ROCK! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?

It is Good News... and according to the new hit single "it is on the way"...

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:43 pm

The more this discussion continues, the more I realize that I think a person should simply like music because they like the music.

We are always trying to make the people around us listen to OUR music to 'expose' them to the great music we listen to, and then when they start to like it too, we feel good. If the music we like appears on a commercial or the David Letterman show, isn't that just like exposing others to the music, but on a larger scale?

Marty

Postby Marty » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:48 pm

"If the songs I'm working on now are any indication, the only car commercial that will want to license our music will be the new Volkswagen Killyourself."

NIEDERGESCHLAGEN !

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:24 pm

esatnik wrote:...and Please Please Please put out the Through With Love song....

I heard a rumor that that is the title of the new album...

But, while we're promoting the resurgance of old WSH songs, I'd like to give a vote for Delicate Hands.

heather

Postby heather » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:09 am

esatnik wrote:>GNFPWLBN??YOU'RE STILL INDIE ROCK! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?

It is Good News... and according to the new hit single "it is on the way"...

Good News... what?

See? You're still hanging on to the thrill of obscurity. Help a brotha out!

Good News For People With Low Bearing Nostalgia? [sp flyn. SP!]

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:36 am

heather wrote:
Good News For People With Low Bearing Nostalgia? [sp flyn. SP!]

load bearing nostalgia??
"don't mess up that good memory, or you'll undermine my convictions"

esatnik

Postby esatnik » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:11 am

Unremarkable,
I heard a rumor that Delicate Hands was the title of the new album....but I heard that some five years ago. My factchecker died in a fatal minivan accident...

Karousme,
You are absolutely right...we should "like music because we like the music"...Unfortunately we, the masses, like music for completely different reasons...Since good music is very important to me, this discussion thread ("crass question") will never get old...

Heather,
...For People Who Love Bad News. It is the new Modest Mouse record. I wasn't trying to be obscure. I thought it was old news, since it is in heavy rotation on the radio (cue up the marketing gimmicks).

heather

Postby heather » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:35 am

OH! THAT.

I try to keep as far away as I can from Isaac Brock and that voice of his.

hovering

Postby hovering » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:45 am

heather wrote:OH! THAT.

I try to keep as far away as I can from Isaac Brock and that voice of his.

i second that.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

The Tallest One Is Gonna Be For Sale

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:39 pm

esatnik wrote: I thought it was old news, since it is in heavy rotation on the radio (cue up the marketing gimmicks).

We must be lucky here in buffalo. We don't hear that record at all. In fact I was happily amazed at The Moon & Antartica. But I guess bad singers just feel like kin.
You don't know how good you've got it in seattle. We're stuck in pit of top 40 radio saturated market. With bands playing different forms of dirt rock, and the only good ones are actually from toronto. For someone like myself, who is mired in secondrate rustbelt ness your scene is the bees knees to me. We don't get this kind of quality, or experimentation with the studio recordings here. Its all epigrams or blatant 3 chord isims. Granted since people 3000 miles away are starting to get into bands who have played your local scene out, you may say it dead, or that it should end. Those of us less fortunate to have your locale may see things differently.

junkyardtodd

Postby junkyardtodd » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:19 pm

huh, i hate the new modest mouse far less than previous adventures into unmusical inscrutability....

i make it a point to only listen to music that i really like a lot...where i succumb to peer pressure is the music i will actually talk about listening to, fer instance i truly love the first Pete Yorn record, but am pretty darn squeamish mentioning it here....and i will shamefacedly go on record saying that the first record that made me want to play gtr n join a band was the debut from Boston. That record holds up fairly well, not as good as Heaven Tonight or Rumors, but far better than, say, Double Live Gonzo.

Hey, I was young and dumb, and as far as I knew at least, punk rock hadn't been invented...

Dammit, I had a point here too, but it's fucking gone... My Grandpa died with Alzheimers, and I can pretty much see myself heading in the same direction...

Hey, if anyone's at DCFC at the Odeon, say HI! I'll be the way too old to be there, Greg Brady looking weiner, rocking out pathetically by himself.

Oh, and I saw the new Volkswagon Kill Yourself at the auto show.

SWEET!!!

hovering

Postby hovering » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:09 pm

i really like beyonce. and some destiny's child songs.

the shoes on my feet, i bought 'em..

i have no shame. nope. none whatsoever. just don't look too close at my record collection. i SWEAR i only have it because it was a promotional copy at work. no, really.

junkyardtodd

Postby junkyardtodd » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:05 am

ooooh! i'm convinced that Beyonce is 100% pure evil (and not in a good way)
i like the new Britney single

europopkid

Postby europopkid » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:49 pm

this one time i admitted i liked the darkness and all my friends broke up with me.

this other time i was at a bar and the dj played "i believe in a thing called love" and i got up and did some interpretive dancing. my air guitaring had all the ladiez in full on swoon-mode.

moral is: the long winters should cover "i believe in a thing called love". i promise to dance.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:01 pm

you can't deny how good that song is. we must all accept this, and if you don't you're a snob asshole.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:48 pm

Ok, call me a snob asshole, but its not a great song, its ok. Its an incredibly FUN song though! And I will KILL ALL WHO REFUSE TO ROCK TO IT!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:52 pm

Every time I click on this thread, the first thing I read is "Did you just tell me to go fuck myself?"

I dub this thread... the "Did you just tell me to go fuck myself?" thread.

the end, by betty

esatnik

Postby esatnik » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:14 pm

Just because you can dress like Peter Frampton, doesn't mean that you can wail. Did you catch The Darkness on MTV2 Extreme Indie Weekend? Yeah me too...That douche actually said the words, and I quote, "you can spot a contrived band from 40 meters"...I may be a snob asshole etc, but that band really sucks.

hovering

Postby hovering » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:44 pm

europopkid wrote:this one time i admitted i liked the darkness and all my friends broke up with me.

this other time i was at a bar and the dj played "i believe in a thing called love" and i got up and did some interpretive dancing. my air guitaring had all the ladiez in full on swoon-mode.

moral is: the long winters should cover "i believe in a thing called love". i promise to dance.

THAT'S IT, MICHAEL, WE'RE THROUGH!

Return to “Give Me a Moment”