TLW to return to europe?!

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

CarstenWohlfeld

TLW to return to europe?!

Postby CarstenWohlfeld » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:58 pm

my spys tell me, there are plans for TLW to play some more shows in germany (and, so i assume) elsewhere in europe in late may.

interestingly enough their german shows are planned for the same week that nada surf are in germany, though i believe we probably won't get a double bill?!

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:51 am

My spies tells me there’s a thread in the “Treehouse” that might answer your question...

Anyway, apparently Nada Surf won’t do another full euro tour until summer (that’s what one person told me) or until after the next album release –late 2004 or ealry 2005- (that’s what another person told me...). But who knows.

re: Nada Surf in Germany/May ’04 (this post is getting cattywamp-ish)
I cannot believe they’re opening 2 shows for Sportfreunde Stiller – they’re not bad (hey they’re Bavarian!), but I’m not planning to spend any money to see them perform. It’d be fun to just go to one of the shows to support Nada Surf – if Munich was closer than a 5-hour-ride, the tickets were cheaper and the venue smaller...

CarstenWohlfeld

Postby CarstenWohlfeld » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:01 pm

here's hoping this hasn't been mentioned here before, some euro tour dates

may 4 - madrid, spain, moby dick
may 5 - barcelona, spain, boite
may 7 - valencia, spain, wah wah
may 8 - zaragoza, spain, casa del loco
may 23-28 - germany, tba

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:16 pm

the website of the Spanish label Houston Party Records mentions The Long Winters estarán de gira por nuestro país a principios de mayo, which I think means that TLW are bound for Spain at the beginning of May.

don't know if there are any Spanish board members yet?
the album is available at the amazing price of a mere 12 euro in Barcelona, so that should not be an impediment.
(just spent 5 days in Barcelona, and happened to stay in a hotel some 100 meters from the street with all the record shops... honestly I didn't plan it that way!)

CarstenWohlfeld

Postby CarstenWohlfeld » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:17 pm

liesbeth, if you look closely, the above dates are actually posted on the HPR website now ;-)

hovering

Postby hovering » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:13 pm

people will go to germany but not to florida.
(not to say there is anything wrong with germany. really. but you know, florida is cheaper and stuff!)

erm, wait, it IS florida.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:41 am

geez, if it hadn't taken me all that time to translate the spanish, I would have beaten you to it, Carsten.

anyways, sorry Florida, but muchos toll for Spain and Germany.
and how better to get from Spain to Germany then via the Netherlands?
(with one guy who walked the terrain, and another who knows about terminal morraines, I might stand to be corrected geographically speaking, but hey, I'm talking about the country that welcomed you for 12 gigs in the past year, we suffer from withdrawal)

not a long winter at all.

Postby not a long winter at all. » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:45 am

For all of those Dutch LW fans besides Liesbeth:
write an email to Robert; he’s the music programmer at: pop@doornroosje.nl

When they are booked, they can’t stay away from Holland then.

We can influence the whole tour schedule in that way if we want….

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:39 am

hey hovering, i bitch incessantly about the derth of LW shows in such places as florida and TEXAS, but it's no use

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:14 am

I think you may have to plan a tour schedule which leads the band TO your neck of the woods.
Maybe you should let the band decide though if they prefer a route along west coast and mexican border, one straight across the Rocky Mountains, hopping along the Canadian border and down the eastcoast, or perhaps via Alaska, Russia, Japan and Hawaii and Mexico?
Good luck!!

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:20 am

well, i've begun to think that if i want to see 'em live, i'm gonna have to move to Germany or Seattle. but i shouldn't complain too much, 'cuz i do get my regular centro-matic fixes.

hey, Leisbeth, i've been meaning to ask you- i had the good luck of having a beautiful, board-feed recording of live SSG fall into my hands-i could send you a copy if'n you are interested.
Hutch

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:39 am

I haven't whined about this in a while, so I'm going to point out that it has been a long time since TLW played an all-ages show in Seattle. Of course, in 40 days it will be a moot point for me.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:02 pm

'tis true...though it's a moot point for me as of oh, a year and a half ago...

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:47 pm

no pic wrote:i shouldn't complain too much, 'cuz i do get my regular centro-matic fixes.

well, we have those too :-)
there seems to be a rubber band attached to Will Johnson, everytime he goes too far in the wrong direction he is propelled across the ocean and somehow lands smack in the middle of the lowlands.

btw, you must have weird trees in TX if that kind of live stuff just falls into your hands like that, and must be out of your mind if you consider leaving that behind for somewhere else.
but maybe you can use it as bait to lure the Long Winters to TX, surely they miss the lovable SSG/CM guys dearly...

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:21 am

CarstenWohlfeld wrote:may 23-28 - germany, tba

Nada Surf are playing in Vienna on the 27 - just don't tell me you're going to play in Munich or Cologne or somewhere in that area that day...

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:50 am

so there I am at the fine Amsterdam venue De Melkweg (Milkyway), waiting for an eternity for Fountains of Wayne (who as it turns out were a bit late because they were out doing an acoustic set live for television, sharing the 'bill' with an avantgarde ensemble involving a trombonist and a swedish goat-herd, whose primal vocal technique was very vividly imitated by Chris Collingwood - anyway, the gig was well worth the wait), and talking to a guy I went to primary and a good part of high school with (he introduced me to his wife with the words 'this is Liesbeth, she was better than me in school', and in the middle of the set, when the FoW did a medley of rawk songs, turns to me and says, this is by Steve Miller, you were a fan - I looked at him in solid amazement and he added 'yeah, you loved that song Abacadabra'. I did like that song then, but how the hell does he remember 22 years later...) when my eye got caught by a familiar picture on the video screen behind him, the WIPTF artwork.
To cut a long story short: The Long Winters are scheduled to play at Melkweg on Sunday 23 May.

Great news, but i'm still hoping for more gigs, as that is the day of my first wedding anniversary. My husband dryly said: "cool, then the band can play especially for us. Do you think they will play something other than LW songs?" Now I'm sure he wasn't totally serious, but serious enough...

So I did a quick scan of some other websites and a google search, but so far only came up with this:
Saturday 15 May Botanique (Rotonde) Brussels, with Pilot to Gunner, as part of Les Nuits Botanique

Back to quiet background gig scanning mode.

Mike McCusker

Postby Mike McCusker » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:09 pm

You guys have GOT to get to Manchester or at least the UK.

I know that gigs pay very badly in the UK, but if I can help I will - let me know what you need and I'll see what I can do.

Oh, and its great to see Michael back in a great band.

CarstenWohlfeld

Postby CarstenWohlfeld » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:37 pm

the german dates are in, there are mostly in the middle of nowhere:

13.05. GER - Höxter, Tonenburg
14.05. GER - Berlin, Rosi´s
21.05. GER - Karlsruhe, Schlachthof
22.05. GER - Langenau, Fisherman´s Cafe

i pray that there's a nearby show in holland i can attend or that they have an off day to arrange something else, cause this kinda sucks (well, from my point of view and strictly geographically speaking).

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:35 pm

Hmm, Germany on 21 and 22 is not the solution to my little preoccupation that I had in mind, but I'll wait for more info on Dutch dates before drawing any conclusions.

BTW, Schlachthof sounds a bit ominous, I mean, there's only three of 'em left...

benmarwood

Postby benmarwood » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:04 pm

Mike McCusker wrote:You guys have GOT to get to Manchester or at least the UK.

seconded. you guys frickin rocked the Spitz last time you were here, even if the onstage sound sucked.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”