John's Residency at The Rendezvous March 2014

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

pahouk

John's Residency at The Rendezvous March 2014

Postby pahouk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:15 pm

John has booked a series of weekly shows in March at The Rendezvous: http://www.jewelboxtheater.com/calendar.html. He's been talking about doing these shows for some time so I'm glad they're finally happening. Edited to add: Am I missing something or is there no way to pre-purchase a ticket? It will take a bit of effort for me to get down to Seattle by 5:00. I'd hate to get there and find out it's sold out.

JadeGordon
Current Heading: Descending

Re: John's Residency at The Rendezvous March 2014

Postby JadeGordon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:01 pm

I tried e-mailing them, but no response yet. I literally can't stand in a line, so hopefully there's SOME way to buy tickets without having to do that. I've never been to this venue. Has anyone else? Does anyone know what disabled access is like?

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 am

I'm told there will be presale. John's peeps are working hard at the moment and hope to have an event on The Long Winters' Facebook page and a ticket link live by Monday. If I know more I'll post it here, although Pat will probably beat me to it, she usually does ;-)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Liesbeth wrote:I'm told there will be presale. John's peeps are working hard at the moment and hope to have an event on The Long Winters' Facebook page and a ticket link live by Monday. If I know more I'll post it here, although Pat will probably beat me to it, she usually does ;-)

I think I'm on the mailing list of just about every venue in Seattle but the one place I failed to check is Facebook. Time to start stalking. I would have been disappointed if I missed the announcement and couldn't get a ticket.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am

Confirmed dates for The Rendezvous are 3/11 and 3/25 (no show on the 18th). Tickets for the first show on the 11th are now available: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/593767.

Obviously I've tried to coax more info about what you guys can expect, but security is more tight than it was for the Olympic Wintergames in Russia. But hey, for six bucks, you will just have to trust John and gamble. :-)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for posting the information! The Rendezvous website still hasn't been updated. Also the show is listed as 5:00 on the Rendezvous site but Brown Paper Tickets says 6:00 to 7:00 with doors at 5:30. I'm glad the start time is a little later. It gives me more time to get down to the venue after work.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:50 am

I can't waaaaait! :: excited ::

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm

According to the Brown Paper Tickets site, tickets for the 3/26 show will go on sale 3/12.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:50 pm

In case you haven't purchased your tickets to the 3/11 show yet Brown Paper Tickets is listing it as sold out. Tickets for the 3/25 show go on sale 3/12.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Last night John gave some more information about how the residency is going to work.The plan is to have a show every other week. I don't think an end date has been set but it sounds like John is planning on doing this for a while. People attending the show will be given a password to buy tickets to the next show before they go on sale to the general public. The password will be valid for 24 hours. Also there may be merit badges based on how many shows you attend but the details are still being worked out.

There will be guests but they won't be announced prior to the show. The guests could be anyone (including some guy John just met on the street). Last night's guests were John's new assistants Victoria and Bailey, who were somewhat surprised since he hadn't told them they were going to be the guests.

Since John really only wants to help us all become better people, he will also be imparting his knowledge on several important topics during these shows. Last night's topic was why we should all smoke pot, at least for a little while.

The plan is for John to do a new song at each show, although he did not have a new song last night. Instead he performed Same Song, which he performed lower than usual because his capo was not working well. (Someone in the audience told him to sing it in his Nick Cave voice. He didn't get quite that low.) The goal would be to accumulate enough material for an album.

I had never been to the Rendezvous but it's a nice little room. The show was a seated show. At the back of the room there are tables if you want to order food. There was a waiter who was delivering drinks to people during the show.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:43 am

thanks for the info, sounds really cool. If only I lived a little closer...

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Most of the recent Roderick on the Line was discussing the show and his ideas. I also illustrated something and wrote about it: http://jadegordon.tumblr.com/post/79545 ... oderick-on

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:37 pm

JadeGordon wrote: I also illustrated something

Ha! Love it :)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Sadly there wasn't a new song this week but here is some footage from the first show : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHX8hITS2DE.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:06 pm

So in the time it took me to get home it looks like the 4/15 show sold out. If anyone ends up with an extra ticket I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Otherwise I'll have to cross my fingers that a ticket will be available at the door.

Edited to add: Never mind, tickets are available now.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:19 am

It is slightly nerve wracking to me, given my lack of smartphone technology. I feel like I'll miss tickets because people in the room will buy them all before I can even get to a computer. I need to come up with a better plan.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:25 pm

I don't have a cell phone so this is my problem too. It sounds like they're setting aside some tickets to sell at the door so I'm hoping I'll be able to snag one if I miss the presale.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Tonight's show was GREAT, and also probably the last one I can go to, because tickets sold out before I could even get home and order one. I can't afford or physically endure hanging around hoping tickets will be available at the door. So. Sigh.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:05 am

JadeGordon wrote:Tonight's show was GREAT, and also probably the last one I can go to, because tickets sold out before I could even get home and order one. I can't afford or physically endure hanging around hoping tickets will be available at the door. So. Sigh.

Looks like we're in the same boat. I wish they would wait until the following day to put the tickets on sale or hold back a batch of tickets to sell the next day.I'm going to try and get a ticket at the door but I'm not hopeful that I'll be successful.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:17 pm

I did get uppity and tag him in a tweet about not being able to go anymore, and he said "we can't let that happen", so I suspect he's trying to figure out how to keep people from hogging up tickets that prevent returning attendees (one would think hat since they do have records to some degree of who has been at the shows before...). I can't hang around waiting for tickets - physically I cannot, and financially I cannot - so that's not an option for me.

OTOH, I get it, it's an exciting show, and people want to get their friends in to see it, and clearly there is huge demand for regular shows from him. Tough for us eager fans, but GREAT news for Roderick!

Return to “Give Me a Moment”