John's Residency at The Rendezvous March 2014

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

JadeGordon
Current Heading: Descending

Re: John's Residency at The Rendezvous March 2014

Postby JadeGordon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:45 pm

Sort of late notice, but I have been assured there will be no tickets available at the door, and it seems that they intend to keep using the secret link that gets used up in the room during the show by those with the tech, so that problem doesn't seem like it'll go away soon.

Anyway, along with a little fanart, this and links found on it are from the last show. http://jadegordon.tumblr.com/post/84065 ... ng-of-john The last show in this series I'm likely to attend.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:35 pm

JadeGordon wrote:Sort of late notice, but I have been assured there will be no tickets available at the door, and it seems that they intend to keep using the secret link that gets used up in the room during the show by those with the tech, so that problem doesn't seem like it'll go away soon.

Anyway, along with a little fanart, this and links found on it are from the last show. http://jadegordon.tumblr.com/post/84065 ... ng-of-john The last show in this series I'm likely to attend.

Jade,
Don't give up! At the end of the show they're now going to have a handful of tickets for the next show available for purchase directly from them instead of going online. They're trying really hard to give more people access to the tickets.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:42 am

A very small handful! I have one reserved for next week, but we'll see. This is getting exhausting, though, I don't know how much energy I have to chase tickets every week. I'm also sad I missed this guest, as he's so rarely up this way, and usually at events I cannot afford. Then again, not knowing in advance put my general gift giving at a disadvantage anyway... ;)

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:35 pm

So, it is now "after July", but no Raven patch in the mail? No "heads up"/pre-announcement clue ins as they claimed? The Rendezvous says he'll be there August the 12th, but... nothing from the boss or the assistants... Bueller?

I actually am moving to Portland (hopefully in the next month or so, probably by the end of the year at the latest), but could do with the stress relief of seeing a show soon!

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:29 pm

I think the next show is 8/19 (at least that's what listed at Brown Paper Tickets). I emailed Bailey and she says the passwords haven't been sent out yet.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Assuming I can make it, and it'll probably be my last of the shows... can I bring you anything? Is there any HotRod related art I've made you'd like a copy of? :)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:33 am

JadeGordon wrote:Assuming I can make it, and it'll probably be my last of the shows... can I bring you anything? Is there any HotRod related art I've made you'd like a copy of? :)

Jade, I'm sorry this may be your last show. I know you've had a rough time recently so hopefully the move will be good for you. I've always loved your Roderick-inspired art. The first time I saw your work was the piece you did of John's pillows turning into owls. It's just so whimsical and odd and hard to explain to anyone who didn't hear the podcast. It just seemed to perfectly capture John's story and it's still one of my favorite pieces. I'd love to buy a print of it if you had it for sale somewhere.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Fan art has tricky copyright rules, so I can't sell it as prints. However, if you can secure a ticket for me, it seems like a fair trade! :)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:55 pm

JadeGordon wrote:Fan art has tricky copyright rules, so I can't sell it as prints. However, if you can secure a ticket for me, it seems like a fair trade! :)

Sounds like deal. I'll let you know if I can get tickets. I can't check my email at work and if the passwords go out during the day there's a chance it will sell out before I can get tickets.

Edited to add: I never did get a password and it doesn't look like tickets are for sale any more so I'm going to assume there's no show tonight. Jade, I hope you're going to be in Seattle for a little longer to see one more show.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:37 am

I'm starting to think maybe he won't be doing this particular show in Seattle yet, between the recent Back Fence stuff and the upcoming XOXO show, and the Rendezvous seemingly maybe booked for some of the latter half of September...

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:32 pm

Check your e-mail for the link! They sent it by way of BPT, not the e-mails we wrote down for their list. In my case, they're different 'cuz I use something different for online purchases.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Jade, I got the email. I bought you a ticket (it should be under your name if I'm running late for some reason). I hope you get a chance to come.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:54 pm

Excellent! I'll bring the art!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:51 am

Great to see you both get to go to the show. Enjoy! (And reviews always welcome ;-)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:58 pm

JadeGordon wrote:Excellent! I'll bring the art!

Thanks again for the art. I was going to catch you after the show to offer to buy your September tickets but I was having problems with the ticket site. If you're going to be around this month I'd still like to do that. If I can still get tickets would you be interested?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:00 pm

Liesbeth wrote:Great to see you both get to go to the show. Enjoy! (And reviews always welcome ;-)

The Rendezvous shows are usually a little hard to review. Imagine ROTL, but as a monologue. This week's show was more straightforward. John talked about breaking his finger in a fistfight he got into at Bumbershoot with a couple of drunk twenty-somethings. The guest was Matthew Caws who performed a few songs with John on backup. One was a song he had written with John. I'm not that familiar with Nada Surf's music. Was that song on an album somewhere?

John was clean-shaven due to an incident at one of his Bumbershoot shows. He had Elan Gale on as an expert on beards. He let Elan shave off his beard then "transplant" it onto the face of young man who did not have a beard (by smearing honey on his face and dropping John's beard hairs on the honey). Unfortunately Elan also shaved off a portion of John's mustache, just on one side so it was lopsided. It was a very strange show that also included John showing his twerking skills. I guess it wasn't possible to salvage the mustache because the next day he was clean-shaven. I was trying to think if I had ever seen John without any facial hair but I couldn't recall anything.

John made several more appearances at Bumbershoot but I seem to have missed them. There's always too many things to see.

JadeGordon

Postby JadeGordon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 am

I appreciate the offer but getting to and from the show is also increasingly difficult. I'll just have to hope people keep me up to date on what I'm missing!

I've been trying to keep things about the shows collected on Tumblr with this tag https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/john-rode ... rendezvous , but frustratingly Tumblr won't display all of them. If you go to http://fuckyeahjohnroderick.tumblr.com/archive you can mouse over entries and it'll show tags, so you can dig right down to the stuff about these specific shows.

If I had to guess, I'd say he'd like the monologues to maybe not get too much public detail as he develops them for other uses (hence the attendee only recordings that are planned to exclude that part of the show). I try not to give away too much!

If you're really curious, send me an email (my name with a dot between at Gmail) and I might let you peek at the PDF where I collected everything including some of my notes (because I brought a notebook/sketchbook to every show).

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:55 pm

John announced on Twitter there will be a special Holiday Roderick's Rendezvous on 12/4. No ticket information yet.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:35 pm

In case you didn't see the announcement on Twitter, tickets to the Holiday Show go on sale on 11/14: http://tickets.thetripledoor.net/eventp ... sp?evt=839

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:45 pm

At the end of last night's show a few people got to sit on Santa John's lap and tell him what they wanted for Christmas. One person asked for a live taping of RotL, Santa said he would try and make that happen next year. Another person asked for a new Long Winters album. Santa said he would try and release some new music next year. He asked what the penalty would be if he failed. The elves told him it would be death by elves.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”