All good things...

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Mike McCusker

Post by Mike McCusker »

Hi Mike!

You have to persuade them to come to Manchester. K?
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Excuse my language, but fuckin' hell!

Reading all your posts was a regular "yep, oh yeah, ooooh that would be nice, indeed, quite, hear hear" fest.
I'll just add that I have full confidence that whatever line-up, TLW come up with something interesting - and it will indeed kick our butts to expect the unexpected. Exciting. And isn't it awesome that, to those of us not being aware of Harvey Danger before their demise, this gives us a second chance...

My sincere wish is that all involved continue to enjoy what they do.
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

lol...i'll look forward to that
the new math

Post by the new math »

Mike McCusker wrote:Hi Mike!

You have to persuade them to come to Manchester. K?

Hi Mike!

i don't think anyone in the band needs a persuasive chat to get them into the idea of a UK visit, we all love to travel. at the moment though we're just concentrating on the three months of touring we have ahead of us, as a three piece.

one of these days we'll make it out your way.
Fi

Post by Fi »

and australia. dont forget. one day.
junkyardtodd

Post by junkyardtodd »

oh pls god i'm begging you, TLW as a 3 pc in the Beachland Ballroom...really it does not get any better than that...

oh, i had a dream the other night, they announced their date here, and it was the same night as DCfC, and i was scrambling to sell my Death Cab tix!
marm0t

Post by marm0t »

(a kitten in a microwave?)
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

Pretty much what everyone has already said. I'm saddened a bit, but also really happy that you guys seem happy with the change and are looking forward to see how everything turns out. I'm looking forward to it, too!

And YES, there should be a co-headlining tour.

And YES, I wanna hear this techno album.
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

Having Sean leave to reunite Harvey is much better than splitting because of "creative differences" :-)
tape hiss

Post by tape hiss »

*jaw drops*
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:Having Sean leave to reunite Harvey is much better than splitting because of "creative differences" :-)

quite!

my personal favourite is the phrase 'musical and personal differences'... often a wonderful euphemism for very nasty break-ups

on that subject, apparently a Dinosaur Jr DVD has come out which features a sequence of all on-stage fights that were ever recorded on film (about twenty, which makes you wonder how many more there have been that weren't recorded).
apparently J Mascis usually lost...
aj

Post by aj »

must admit, I came to the Long Winters as a follower of Sean, but I will stay because I love the music, love the band as a whole. I am ecstatic about the Harvey Danger news, but now I can have two fav bands to see in April.

See you in Chicago. Can't wait.
esatnik

Post by esatnik »

As president of the WSH fanclub I say bring back Stephanie Wicker...
She knows the songs and the chemistry is fuckking magical...

Now that Sean is gone...does that mean that you can play Through With Love again?
europopkid

Post by europopkid »

alright, okay. i've finally come to terms with this. it took a while, but the prospect of a harvey danger/long winters tour (make it happen!) is something that induces all kinds of giddiness in the loins.

sean clearly was an integral cog in making the band hum and churn so wonderfully, and as much as i'm going to miss his pogo styling and his banteriffic one-liners (and, you know, his keyboard/tambourine prowess), what i'm really going to miss are his beautifully penned set-lists. so. who will write the set lists when sean nelson is gone? WHO?

i should probably hold onto all of mine as they're going to be worth something someday, obvs.

best of luck to all, and hopefully i'll be seeing the new, leaner long winters in NC next month.
Squid

Dizamn!

Post by Squid »

jesus. I join this thing and John starts dropping mad crazy bandchangin' truth all over the damn place.

i have hearted you both forever and a day. (musically! this is a family show, people...) for separate but equal wacky reasons. i think about meeting you both that first time at sxsw. that was 8 million years ago in band time.

i'm heartbroken that work and life deprived me of a one last wintery goodbye to sean at that recent nada surf gig here in SF. I wish you the best with the h to the d, sugar cookie! may i run into you "down in front" on the next Neil Finn tour...

Moreover and heretofore, I ain't worried about the winters. Three piece, 8 piece with gamelan, whatever. It will rock and rule.
benmarwood

Post by benmarwood »

seems like i'm two weeks behind everyone else, but i'm gonna add my thoughts anyway.

i was always really pissed off that HD rarely played the UK but i was gutted when i heard they'd split. since then, TLW have filled the gap HD left behind.. but what now? i'm gonna miss sean's vocals and banter, and if HD don't come over to the UK i'm probably going to bite somebody hard.

so. a new HD album? a rawer TLW sound? this is gonna be damn interesting.
Damien_82

Post by Damien_82 »

heh, she said "gamelan."
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

A gamelan would sound kickass as some sort of outro to an album or possibly an intro. But definitely outro. And kickass.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

i used to play in a gamelan (balinese) ensemble at my uni. no shit
it's actually not that easy, but it does sound awesome indeed (after 1 semester of practising...)
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

I thought it was cool how gamelan concerts would go on all day, and the players would sit there and play and eat their rice bowls at the same time.

Sidenote: There's a Creeper Lagoon song (Dear Deadly) where I thought Sharkey said "found myself a gamelan" but i think he says camelot.