Who do you follow?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

A Brutaful Smile

Who do you follow?

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

It's possible this was touched on a long time ago, but since the announcement of Sean leaving I have seen a lot of "I came as a follower of Sean" so I'm wondering whose following who?

I myself came into The Long Winters as a John follower on a personal level. Before your mind goes some where weird w/that lemme explain. Many years ago I had a boyfriend who knew John somewhat and when we would run into him at shows we would chat. Mostly those 2 would chat and I'd stand there, but I'd throw my 2 cents in now and then.
When The Long Winters first CD came out I recognized a couple of the songs on the CD as WSH songs that the now ex had played for me. This was probably the first and only time I have ever bought a CD w/o first hearing anything on it. I was not disappointed in the least. Some songs took some warming up to but for the most part I immediately loved the CD.
I went to their CD release show and was blown away. After they played I wanted to talk to John. I introduced myself and explained how we had met before. It had been a few years and I was floored he remembered me. Many people will say they remember you but you can tell that they probably don't but are playing along. If John was playing along, he did a really good job because I couldn't tell.
It took me a few more shows of being blown away and loving the CD more and more before I became the hardcore fan I am today, but that is how it started.

So now it's your turn....who brought you here? I'd be curious to know how many people didn't know anybody and just happened to come across The Long Winters on their own.
stephanie

so you can sell yourself on blue diamonds

Post by stephanie »

I like to think it was the hand of God Himself that brought me to the Long Winters.

Wait, I'm an atheist.

Fuck.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

fine with a scent of lime

Post by Liesbeth »

my god was called Ken Stringfellow, with Barsuk coming in close second
and the music itself completing this trinity
holy ghost, the music is divine

full story is somewhere on this board
the new girl

Post by the new girl »

After a little thought, I'd have to go with Sean.

See, I'd heard of this band called the Western State Hurricanes and how I'd probably love them but due to being a young'un who wasn't in Seattle never had a chance to experience them (although now that I've heard the demos & a little live stuff, I'd have to agree that I would have loved them...).

I was a fan of Harvey Danger ever since one of the Portland radio stations picked up Flagpole Sitta at the start of that whole thing, and I watched their message board (usually from afar) intermittently after that. So, when I saw Sean's involvement with some outfit called the Long Winters, I of course checked it out, and well, here I am...
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

I followed my heart.
Fi

Post by Fi »

a friend from a band called The Capillaries told me about them and played me WIPTF in the car, although in a round-about way, the first 'member' I was aware of was Ken Stringfellow, as per Liesbeth.
junkyardtodd

Post by junkyardtodd »

i was listening to the radio IN CLEVELAND, on WRUW, one of 4 great college radio stations IN CLEVELAND, and when I heard 'Car Parts' I pretty much went on a mission to find the record, which was harder than it should have been, in a city like CLEVELAND, that has something like 7 GREAT INDEPENDANT RECORD STORES, just on my side of town. But finally, I got a copy at Bent Crayon (which is, btw: IN CLEVELAND), and saw them soon afterwards, at The Beachland Ballroom, which is where most indie bands play (i mean, you know, when they actually come to CLEVELAND),
oops, gotta keep grinding that axe....
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

I was a Harvey Danger fan for a long time, then one day I decided to check the band's message board. There I found out that the band had just recently broke up, but that Sean had a new band called The Long Winters with John Roderick (who had joined HD for a short amount of time). When I found out he sang BACKUP vocals and played keys, I got a little disgruntled. "Backup?!?", I thought, "Who does this 'John' guy think he is?". Nevertheless, I bought the TWYCDIH after I heard a couple of mp3s from the then foreign to me Barsuk website. The CD didn't leave my player for a long, long time, and the rest is history.
Last edited by Unremarkable on Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I was a Harvey Danger member for a long time, then one day I decided to check the band's message board. There I found out that the band had just recently broke up, but that Sean had a new band called The Long Winters with John Roderick (who had joined HD for a short amount of time). When I found out he sang BACKUP vocals and played keys, I got a little disgruntled. "Backup?!?", I thought, "Who does this 'John' guy think he is?". Nevertheless, I bought the TWYCDIH after I heard a couple of mp3s from the then foreign to me Barsuk website. The CD didn't leave my player for a long, long time, and the rest is history.

Honestly, that's EXACTLY it for me as well.
Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Harvey Winters »

I am a loyal disciple of "Dangerism"...
I ignored all the things I had heard about TLW...
Then, I read that TLW was coming to NJ/NY for a show...
This was my chance!!!
Sean hardly ever posted on the HD Boards anymore...
I could ask him in person about the FINAL HDanger show...
I picked up WIPTF @Tower on the way to Maxwell's...
We were singing "Blue Diamonds" and "Stupid" in the car,
about an hour into the drive...

Like I said:
Harvey Danger brought me over, TLW made me a fan!!!!
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

well it was about one week before the sonic boom tour last may. at the time, i was corresponding with imaginary girl dana about doing some reviews for the tig site and she told me i could meet up with her at any of the long winters shows that weekend. at this point, "the long winters" meant nothing to me, and passed them off as some local act that probably wasn't too good (shame, shame). due to this fact, i'm not certain what it was that prompted me to download all four songs on the barsuk site. let's say it was divine intervention or something of the sort, but it may have been praise of them on the barsuk board. well, needless to say, i fell in love immediately. "blue diamonds" and "carparts" are probably to blame. i believe that it was the evening before the sonic boom tour that i was somewhere online and realized, holy sweet goddamn, i can go see them for free tomorrow! so i did, i purchased WIPTF and i've been in love ever since.
heather

Post by heather »

meg wrote:I followed my heart.

megatron, you are the epitome of "super pop and gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

I was a Danger fan before but didn't follow the goings-on (or is that going-ons) of the members so didn't know that Sean had joined up with TLW. So I actually discovered TLW the same way I discover 90% of my music...KEXP. I believe the first song I ever heard was Scent of Lime which triggered the usual events of find out the band, download some of their songs (from the now defunct Kazaa) and then order the CD (full disclosure: I got it from half.com used so you guys didn't make any money off me on that one). After listening to the TWYCDIH for days straight I knew I had to go see a show. My wife really wanted to go too but was under 21 at the time and couldn't go see them at the Crocodile (even though I emailed John of my woes). I went with my brother-in-law instead who had never heard them but became an insta-fan. If you heard a guy shouting out witticisms like "my mom loves you guys" at that show...that was him. And if you heard a reference to an upcoming show that was all-ages so we could bring along our under-aged wives, that was directed towards me. She did finally get to see them at the Sonic Boom Tour (and I think I might have stood next to Unremarkable with a dat?) and again at Bumbershoot.
get down here

Post by get down here »

i took the 405 and jumped on the long winter band wagon.
barsuk is good people.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:She did finally get to see them at the Sonic Boom Tour (and I think I might have stood next to Unremarkable with a dat?)

That was very likely me.
hovering

Post by hovering »

i wish i could say that i was a "_________" follower, but alas, i was not.
a very kind and wonderful person put "scent of lime" on a mixtape. i fell in love, did research, found out these boys were on BARSUK RECORDS and i got all super crazy girl and was like "they were on barsuk?! why did nobody tell me how good they were?! YOU JERKS!" but then we bonded over love for the long winters.

then that person started to suck so i just bonded with myself.
hence the reason why i'm often the only person singing along with "when i pretend to fall" in my car. shame on you, Heather's Friends, shame on you.
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

i followed stephanie, drugs, booze, and debauchery.
heather

Post by heather »

thanks be to barsuk, john vanderslice and beulah.
Flyn

Post by Flyn »

I seem to recall them being involved in several posies shows, a couple years back. I was at a few of them, and though it's all uncharacteristically blurry, I'm pretty sure that's where I first heard them. I was a harvey danger fan, and some of my highschool friends used to play small shows w/ Bionic Systems Go, Eric's old band. I'd heard of the Western State Hurricanes, but I doubt they played all that many all ages shows, and without a record, there wasn't much hope of me hearing them.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Unremarkable wrote:I was a Harvey Danger member for a long time
LoveSickJerk wrote:I was a Harvey Danger member for a long time
(...)
Honestly, that's EXACTLY it for me as well.

this clearly shows my ignorance about HD, I really didn't know about you guys being members of that band

actually, I think the first time I actually heard Harvey Danger was when a link was posted on this board to the video of Sad sweetheart of the rodeo, (and it was mentioned that it featured John being tied up. ahem.)