Who do you follow?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

esatnik

Post by esatnik »

Is this a trick question?
Here is a trick answer....

I follow the one with talent!
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Liesbeth wrote:this clearly shows my ignorance about HD, I really didn't know about you guys being members of that band

Oops, pardon the typo. Both of us were never members of HD.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I think that should have read like: I was a Harvey Danger Fan Member...uhhhh....I was a member fan of ....um....I was a fan of HD yeah that's it!
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

The younger Merlin. I just followed him over here and now look what's become of me.
Endo23

Post by Endo23 »

I'll be honest and say that other than a brief affair with the infectious but overplayed "Flagpole Sitta" tune, I never really dug Harvey Danger.

(OUCH! Quit hurling stones at me!)

That was during my youth in Seattle, before I moved away to Chicago for school and forgot all about the local music scene back home. Years passed (cue slow dissolves of leaves changing and calendar pages flipping over), and one day, after I'd graduated school and moved to Los Angeles, my brother told me about this band The Long Winters and how great they were. He was even so kind as to burn me a copy of their debut CD.

Time kept on slippin', like the song says, and 6 months later, I was sitting in my car late at night, blissfully stoned, flipping through my massive Caselogic full of CDs when I happened upon that burnt copy of TWYCDIH. I think it may have been the weed that prompted me to go out on a limb and finally listen to the damn thing... it was DEFINITELY the weed that made the sluggish opening drums of "Give Me a Moment" sound so goddamn PHAT. By the time chorus crashed in I was sold.

I listened to the entire album on the way home, then listened to the entire album again the next day (I was sober and it was just as great as I vaguely remembered it being), then listened to the entire album again immediately after it ended, and well, you all know how this story ends.

Eventually I called my brother and apologized for being such a stupid bastard and blowing off the Winters for so long. He was pretty understanding about the whole thing, which is why he's the best brother ever.

EPILOGUE

I finally saw TLW live a couple of months after my belated discovery of TWYCDIH, and their show sealed the deal for me. They were smart and funny and rocking and completely infectious. And they covered "Sway," which I was obsessed with at the time. Goddess bless, I had me a new favorite band.
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

Like many, many things, I have livejournal to thank for my rabid Long Winters fangirlism. My friend Kayte (who has posted here once or twice) posted an mp3 of 'give me a moment' on her journal. I listened to it constantly and when I complained on my own journal that I couldn't find any more mp3's anywhere, my friend Josh uploaded the entire first album for me. I've since bought both albums and been to two shows and I still can't get enough!

Viva le Interweb!
hovering

Post by hovering »

livejournal is to blame/thank for everything. EVERYTHING.
especially why i keep thinking you look so familiar. then i was like "oh, she is michael's friend!"

wow, how creepy did that sound?
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

hovering wrote:livejournal is to blame/thank for everything. EVERYTHING.
especially why i keep thinking you look so familiar. then i was like "oh, she is michael's friend!"

Totally not creepy at all! Since it happens ALL THE TIME! I went to a show last night and I kept thinking I saw people who I might have seen around livejournal, but didn't actually know. It's so weird!! But I still love the crap out of livejournal.
thepeter

Post by thepeter »

i had already had nothing but good luck with random shot-in-the-dark barsuk releases, and when i found the first record a month after its release for $3 used, i figured i had nothing to lose.
europopkid

Post by europopkid »

livejournal? i don't think i know what that is.

my descent into long wintersism was a strange one indeed. i remember reading something positive on the long winters/TWYCDIH way back when and i made a mental note (like you do) to check them out some day. so i'm browsing thru used cd bins (like i do) and i stumbled across TWYCDIH, but i couldn't remember whether i was supposed to like them or not. but they were on good ol' trusty barsuk, and it was priced to move, so i took a chance.

to be honest with you, i wasn't overwhelmed.

but then good ol' trusty mafia meg started up with lots of WIPTF hyperbole, so i made the investment, and boy, the returns on that one are still coming in.

of course, TWYCDIH sounds so much better now as a consequence.

if i were to go all OG on y'all, i'd say that i was a harvey danger fan back in the day, but i honestly didn't know sean nelson was in the long winters until i saw them. hm!
hovering

Post by hovering »

smelllikelime wrote:

Totally not creepy at all! Since it happens ALL THE TIME! I went to a show last night and I kept thinking I saw people who I might have seen around livejournal, but didn't actually know. It's so weird!! But I still love the crap out of livejournal.

this is how me and my friends talk at shows:

me: you see that guy over there? the one with the curly hair and black shirt?
friend: yeah. he's cute. why does he look so familiar?
me: i really don't know. maybe we've seen him at work? or at garden cafe? or the record store? that's it, the record store.
friend: no, no. none of those sound familiar.
me: um, then i give up. really. i can't remember anything.
friend: OH, I READ HIS LIVEJOURNAL. THAT'S IT.

--

changing the subject, however:

i need someone to purcahse a new copy of when i pretend to fall because i have played mine SO much since the day of it's release that it's dying on me. god damnit, compact discs, you're not supposed to do this.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

Me? Hyperbole?

Slander, 'PopK. Absolute slander.
europopkid

Post by europopkid »

meg wrote:Me? Hyperbole?

Slander, 'PopK. Absolute slander.

aye, fair enough. you weren't exaggerating, were you?

ok, "hyper-enthusiastic fangirlishness" it is.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

europopkid wrote:ok, "hyper-enthusiastic fangirlishness" it is.

Make it "hyper-pop and gay fangirlbole" and we'll call it square. xo
velvetcrush1

Post by velvetcrush1 »

My intro to LW was a show. I had seen Nada Surf and Sondre Lerche in Chicago of Feb 2003, and they were doing another round of shows in May with the LW added to the mix.

I had just moved to Minneapolis, and my bro came up for a visit the weekend NS, LW, and SL were playing. My brother and I were both highly impressed with the LW set. I went and bought their cd right after they finished. I didn't get a chance to see them again until I was out traveling in San Fran back in Feb this year.
tape hiss

Post by tape hiss »

I recall being a pretty hardcore HD fan back in the day (by which I mean junior high) -- many thanks to my unsuspecting aunt and uncle from Iowa for getting me WHATMG for Christmas one year. I never really got into the whole HD message board thing, but I would check it sporadically for kicks. I also recall making my mother take me down to the nearest Best Buy on September 12, 2000 (eighth grade! Yeah!) so I could get a copy of KJV. Being a "word nerd," Sean was one of my top lyrical heroes (and still is). And I still love the HD beaucoup.

But during one of those sporadic board-checks, I heard (well, read) mention of TLW. I kind of filed it away for later. Last May, through a random series of events, I ended up completely in love with a certain band called Death Cab for Cutie. (I also damn near spazzed when I was looking through the liner notes to their albums and found the names of several members of HD.) Upon hearing that they would be playing a local (Indianapolis) club the night before my birthday (in October), I proceeded to kick myself for not being 21 (as I did when HD rolled through town after my 14th birthday). Then I found out that Death Cab would be playing a short set in a record store around the corner and down the block from the club before the actual show with this "Long Winters" ensemble. The night before the little show, I jumped on the Internet at the local library, plugged in my headphones, and listened to the goodness. I was smitten.

The next evening, I was an all-around excellent show... although my friend Nick (also an HD fan) and I seriously wanted to give the kids heckling Sean about "Flagpole Sitta" a serious root in the stones. I believe I yelled something absurd, along the lines of "We love you more now!" I know, I know....

In the next few weeks (because I'm a teenager with no cash), I purchased WIPTF, and after Christmas (bonus!) I got TWYCDIH. And I remained deeply in love and infected a good number of my friends with TLW.

So, in short: I kind of followed the Nelson, but you could kind of blame Death Cab.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

i agree w/that...totally.

hovering wrote:wow, how creepy did that sound?

no worse than what i do at shows. "see that girl over there? i've met her a couple times, i don't really KNOW her, but i read her lj. that's so and so."
i find it interesting how i know details of people's lives yet barely know them personally.