Last Minute Notice...

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Eric
Band Guy

Last Minute Notice...

Post by Eric »

Sorry for the short notice, but The Capillaries will be playing at the Comet Tavern located in Seattle's lovely Capitol Hill neighborhood tomorrow night (that's Friday, March 26th).
Who are the Capillaries, you ask? The Capillaries are another band with whom i play the bass instrument, featuring the songwriting talents of one Matthew Southworth. The Long Winters will also be playing our first set as a trio. The show will start around 9 or 10 and it's 5 bucks. You who are in the area and over 21, feel free to join us if you like.
heather

Post by heather »

wait wait wait.. the capillaries AND long winters? wha?

for the peeps who HAVE YET to see the capillaries, you must go to this show. they're fucking great.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

oh my god. i really wanna go and i could, BUT i am really sick. for the last 2 days i have barely had a voice. it/this sucks.

WHY GOD WHY?!?!?!
heather

Post by heather »

Okay. Who's opening? Doors are at 9 or 10? or the bands play then? Hmm? I need to know.
bustedacres

Post by bustedacres »

Hello, it's Matt from the Capillaries.

For reasons best known to the inscrutable minds of those named Roderick, Schorr, and Corson, the Long Winters, they have elected to go on first. I'm guessing they'll be on around 10:00 or 10:30. Which gives you plenty of time to load up on Pabst Blue Ribbon and port. Here's a story about the port:

The Comet Tavern doesn't serve hard liquor. However, catering to a particularly dissolute clientele, they must give you something more powerful than beer. And they therefore serve port.

When the Sandeman port company in Spain or Portugal discovered that this one bar in Seattle sold more port than any
place in the world, they became curious and sent a representative overseas to investigate. Said representative walked into the Comet (no doubt wearing a monocle and carrying a silver-tipped duck head cane). When he found that the Comet's regular patrons were simply knocking back shots of Sandeman and walking around with little bubbles above their heads and X's for eyes, he turned around in disgust and hopped right back on the plane.

I, for one, like the warm little weirdness the port starts in my brain. Hope to see you there, X-eyed and happy.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

That means (Heather and Forrest) you can start your evening at The Sunset, catch Slomo's set at 9:30 and fly over to The Comet to catch The LW's....

Come on John, help the kids out a bit and start a few minutes late.
the new math

Post by the new math »

well, i believe that john is doing something at the sunset tonight as well, although i'm not positive on the details. i heard something about singing with ken stringfellow? so perhaps the slomo/winters fanbase will have a chance to have their cake and eat it too. no promises though, i don't know the entire story.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

bustedacres wrote:However, catering to a particularly dissolute clientele, they must give you something more powerful than beer. And they therefore serve port.

That. Is. Awesome.

For serious.
heather

Post by heather »

the new math wrote:well, i believe that john is doing something at the sunset tonight as well, although i'm not positive on the details. i heard something about singing with ken stringfellow? so perhaps the slomo/winters fanbase will have a chance to have their cake and eat it too. no promises though, i don't know the entire story.

Hey, I know! Let's make this convenient [sp flyn!] for me and just have everyone play at the Boom in Ballard. Okay? Okay. Because I won't get out of here until 10:30, and I really want to see everyone. Thanks!
carlitos

Post by carlitos »

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

I was in Seattle on Friday, looking for something to do...

Ah, well, see you at the Larimer Lounge...
junkyardtodd

Post by junkyardtodd »

dammit, i'm moving back to seattle, just as soon as the cost of housing goes back down....
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Lovely drink, port, for when you're feeling bibulous. Have they any stilton to go with it?
europopkid

Post by europopkid »

holy crap this scene is too much sometimes.

the capillaries played LA once upon a time (a little under 2 years ago) at a little dive called 'mr. t's bowl'. it was great. now, i forget how the story goes exactly, but capillary matt made friends with my then-new girlfriend, and from what she says he "totally wanted her". but he couldn't have her, see, 'cos she was with me (sucks to be her!). anyway, legend has it that he wrote a song about her, the end.

if matt reads this, the girl in question is lorien. she says 'hi'.
Jean Grey

Post by Jean Grey »

The song is called "love conquers some"...which is awesome by the way. I have it on good authority that the song is about a girl other than lorien...but there is a line about her and the fact that she has a boyfriend. He also mentions all the boys from Arlo in that song.
europopkid

Post by europopkid »

Jean Grey wrote:The song is called "love conquers some"...which is awesome by the way. I have it on good authority that the song is about a girl other than lorien...but there is a line about her and the fact that she has a boyfriend. He also mentions all the boys from Arlo in that song.

that's rad. i mean, i was mentioned in a song! :)
bustedacres

Time flying.

Post by bustedacres »

I've been meaning to respond to this for days now. . .but you know. . .

The story that europopkid relates is somewhat true. . .somewhat. . .but rather than go into all that stuff and explain it all, I figured I'd just post an mp3 of the song I wrote about his girlfriend (and others). It also relates heavily to the (fantastic) Los Angeles band, Arlo.

you can find it here: http://www.thecapillaries.com/music.htm

There's a long tour diary that will sort of explain it further if you're into such things. Tell Lorien hello for me, europopkid, by the way (and I mean you no harm. . .).

And so that this is still LW-related, be sure to check out the picture of Eric on the band page. He looks devilishly handsome.

Perhaps I'll write a song about him next.