Florida people

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

dchris

Florida people

Post by dchris »

I've never posted here before, just watched quietly. I'm on the Harvey board a bit more often.

Anyway, I know there at least two Floridians on the board:

The closest The Long Winters are coming to the Sunshine State is Athens, GA, six hours north of me, and significantly farther from south FL (the only place anyone in Florida who is not in college should want to live). As that show is a Saturday, (4/17) theoretically, I could go. Should I? Is anyone else?

When was the last time The Long Winters came to Florida? I've been watching the tour dates for over a year, and I think this is the closest I've seen them come. Frankly, I'm giving up hope on waiting for a better opportunity.
hovering

Re: Florida people

Post by hovering »

dchris wrote:I've never posted here before, just watched quietly. I'm on the Harvey board a bit more often.

Anyway, I know there at least two Floridians on the board:

The closest The Long Winters are coming to the Sunshine State is Athens, GA, six hours north of me, and significantly farther from south FL (the only place anyone in Florida who is not in college should want to live). As that show is a Saturday, (4/17) theoretically, I could go. Should I? Is anyone else?

When was the last time The Long Winters came to Florida? I've been watching the tour dates for over a year, and I think this is the closest I've seen them come. Frankly, I'm giving up hope on waiting for a better opportunity.

where in florida are you?

i've been thinking about going to that show, but i drove to georgia/tennessee last fall and my car needs a new timing belt before i head up again, unfortunately. i saw the pernice brothers last fall, as well, and was VERY impressed, so i'd love to see them again. i've been waiting for a long winters date in FL but NOBODY IS DELIVERING. COME ON, GUYS!

anyway, i want to go & this reminds me how badly, but no car = no rock.
dchris

Post by dchris »

hovering wrote:where in florida are you?

I'm in Gainesville. My car can handle the ride, I think. But - I'm due for an oil change before any major drives, and who knows what other ailments they'll find there.
dchris

Post by dchris »

Where in Florida are you? Is this a possible carpool situation?

I can't easily justify making the drive alone, especially the weekend before I head out to the HD show in Seattle. But I also can't easily justify missing what seems like my only chance to see the Long Winters.

augh!
hovering

Post by hovering »

I'm in orlando.
there is still hope for their tour in june with the decemberists. I'm crossing my fingers they'll play orlando, but I will drive to georgia for that, as I'm sure it'll hit the east coast, somewhere.
Midori

Post by Midori »

I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. My best friend lives in Providence, so I'm flying up there next weekend for the Cambridge show. This would all be a lot more convenient if they would just bite the bullet and head south.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

dchris wrote:As that show is a Saturday, (4/17) theoretically, I could go. Should I?

I would say yes, absolutely.

On a side note, Athens is a fun place - you can get liquor at every other street corner, but if you're looking for a gallon of spring water you have to drive outside to Kroger.
Aaaah col towns.
heathalouise

Post by heathalouise »

Liz wrote:On a side note, Athens is a fun place - you can get liquor at every other street corner, but if you're looking for a gallon of spring water you have to drive outside to Kroger.
Aaaah col towns.

Unless it's a Sunday -- then you can only get liquor on every other street corner, since one can only drink in "restaurants" on the day of rest.

Go to the show. Tasty World is a decent little club.
hovering

Post by hovering »

other positive things about athens:

michael stipe's restaurant which I can't remember the name of.
apparently, you can see jeff mangum riding his bike around town at times.
the UGA campus.

uh, okay, I forgot I liked atlanta better.

this is a plea to good bands: us southern folk DO like good music, despite what conceptions you may have about florida, so while you're in atlanta/athens, just drive the extra six hours to orlando and everyone will be happy. and since you've ventured into the wretched state of florida, I'll be sure to spend an extra $10 on merch. just for you. the end.
dchris

Post by dchris »

First of all, *>UGA. Fuckin' dawgs. Though, Georgia does have a really impressive linguistics program. but, besides my Gator bias....

Y'all are putting up a mighty fine argument. I might go. If The Decemberists don't announce summer dates soon, or if they do, but have no shows any closer, then I'll probably go.
heather

Post by heather »

hovering wrote:other positive things about athens:

the UGA campus.

lucky fuckin georgia residents.
heathalouise

Post by heathalouise »

hovering wrote:other positive things about athens:

the UGA campus.

uh, okay, I forgot I liked atlanta better.

The restaurant is The Grit, and it's the best freakin' vegetarian restaurant in the world. (Mmmmmm.....black bean chili.) Stipe only owns the building though, not the restaurant.

Jeff Mangum is frequently mistaken for a homeless man by some of the more unenlightened local students.

How does anyone like Atlanta better?

I miss Athens, but I sure as hell don't miss UGA....
hovering

Post by hovering »

the grit! i was going to say that, but then i was just like "no, georgia, grits.. i'm getting it all confused." i could go for some food from that place right now.

i'm one of those lost people in a foreign city who has no sense of adventure, so i need someone to show me around. my tour guide in athens was not so good. i shouldn't say that, just.. not up for much. this is when i should've said "screw you, i'm going to wander this city alone" but i did not. however, i've spent many beautiful days in atlanta. so, i just need to spend more days in athens and i'll enjoy it more.

how long were you in athens?
dchris

Post by dchris »

Remember when I said:
dchris wrote:I'm in Gainesville. My car can handle the ride, I think. But - I'm due for an oil change before any major drives, and who knows what other ailments they'll find there.

The day before my scheduled oil change, while driving on the highway, I experienced a loud squeaky noise as my car pulled strongly to the right. Of course, I had them check that out, too. Turns out, my rear bearings need desperately to be replaced, and the parts won't be in until Monday. There's no way I can make that drive with my car right now. I'm very very frustrated.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

that blows.

and it sucks.
hovering

Post by hovering »

but atlanta! june 17th! the long winters! the decemberists! road trips! HELLO.
dchris

Post by dchris »

hovering wrote:but atlanta! june 17th! the long winters! the decemberists! road trips! HELLO.

oh, I'm all over that for sure.

But, I was counting on this! That's, like, two months away.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

not until Monday? That's odd...I work for Sears Automotive, and we can usually get wheel bearings on the same day from a local parts dealer for most cars...Where did you take it and what kind of car is it?
hovering

Post by hovering »

hell yes, you know things about cars. so tell me, how much do timing belts (+labor) generally run at sears? i need one of those before i can engage in any rock action happening in an area code that is not my own.
dchris

Post by dchris »

Unremarkable wrote:not until Monday? That's odd...I work for Sears Automotive, and we can usually get wheel bearings on the same day from a local parts dealer for most cars...Where did you take it and what kind of car is it?

Sears is on it! Well, Friday is possible. Monday is likely.

I have a Kia. I took it to a Kia dealership. I'm assuming they're ordering the parts directly from Kia and that's why it'll take a few days.