¿como son los concertos del Long Winters en España?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

¿como son los concertos del Long Winters en España?

Postby Liesbeth » Fri May 07, 2004 10:47 am

Hola amigas y amigos españoles,

Me llamo Liesbeth y me gustan The Long Winters, ¿te gustan tambien?
the first lesson of my Spanish course comes in handy here

Should there be any spanish people visiting this board, hola there.
Don't be shy because the language here is English, we'd love to hear from you.

hovering

Postby hovering » Fri May 07, 2004 11:12 am

the fact that I can read (and understand!) that just makes me feel like I deserved a better grade in spanish I. and maybe I should re-take it in college.

Andoitz

Postby Andoitz » Fri May 07, 2004 2:08 pm

Hola Liesbeth,

Soy Andoitz, batería de HOMELESS ELEMENTS, grupo que tuvo el honor de actuar como telonero de THE LONG WINTERS en San Sebastián, ayer mismo día 6 de mayo, así que aquí me tienes para aclararte cualquier duda que tengas sobre los conciertos en España y contarte la experiencia, te espero.

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Fri May 07, 2004 2:28 pm

Okay. I'm in with the enirety of my Español herewith:
Deseo bistec con ensalada y sopa. ¿Y de postre? Fruta!

:)

Gracias y bienvenidos a nosotros amigos nuevo.

/peggy hill-quality Spanish

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Fri May 07, 2004 2:44 pm

Once again, to quote John:
"Como esta vato"

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Fri May 07, 2004 4:02 pm

Hola Andoitz. Bienvenido al grupo! Que clase de musica tocan ustedes? Tendras que disculpar mi espanol porque lo aprendi en Ecuador y todo sabemos que los unicos que hablan Espanol pura son ustedes! :-)
Esperamos que disfrutaste The Long Winters y que nos contaras tus experiencias.

Tambien queria decir que no he ablado espanol en mas que dos anos y creo que he olvidado mucho :-(

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat May 08, 2004 2:17 am

hey, welcome!

soy muy impressado (impressada?, is that a spanish word at all?) con tu ingles, es mucho mejor que mí español...

in fact, Peggy Hill's spanish is much better than mine (but after all, she was substitute teacher of the year)

Andoitz

Thank you

Postby Andoitz » Sat May 08, 2004 6:13 am

Thank you, I've decided to visit this website at least once a day to read what's going on, I think there's nice people here. We play pop-rock, rock&roll with some indy-rock influences. We have two guitars, bass and drums. We've been playing together for just a year, so it has been a dream for us. We didn't know that we could have the chance to play in than place and with THE LONG WINTERS!! Anyway if it's just a dream, i'd like to keep on dreaming.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Sat May 08, 2004 6:41 am

Liesbeth wrote:hey, welcome!

soy muy impressado (impressada?, is that a spanish word at all?) con tu ingles, es mucho mejor que mí español...

in fact, Peggy Hill's spanish is much better than mine (but after all, she was substitute teacher of the year)

I wasn't aware that King of the Hill was such a hit in the Netherlands.

Los Largos Inviernos

Postby Los Largos Inviernos » Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Hola a todos-

I was at the TLW gig in Huesca, the last one of the spanish leg of the tour, and it was an amazing experience (although it was freezing, much to John's chagrin who probably was expecting a warmer climate ). They seem (and sound!) really comfortable as a power trio, but some of the finer arrangements of the songs were missed, like the intros in "Blue Diamonds" or "Scared Straight", wich I kind of didn't recognize at the start without the horns part. Anyway, terrific gig all in all, great covers of "Cinnamon Girl" and "Savoy Truffle", and I had a chance to meet John afterwards, who was really nice and amicable. Yee-haw.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat May 15, 2004 2:23 pm

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:I wasn't aware that King of the Hill was such a hit in the Netherlands.

Well, it was always broadcast at impossible times, in the wrong order, with freak repeats - but yes, we love(d) it. Wished it was still on, but we recorded some on videos.
First time I heard about it was on the Bob Mould mailing list, where the story was that Bobby was modelled after Bob... don't know whether that is true or not, but Bobby is one of my favourite characters. Top episode in my book is the one with Willy Nelson - Boomhauer meeting Bob Dylan, amazing!

I'm digressing from topic. Good to hear Spain was good, sorry to hear it was cold.

mms

Postby mms » Sat May 15, 2004 4:26 pm

Los Largos Inviernos wrote:but some of the finer arrangements of the songs were missed, like the intros in "Blue Diamonds" or "Scared Straight", wich I kind of didn't recognize at the start without the horns part.

LLI, thanks for the mini review of the Huesca gig. Sorry to hear it was cold. But I'm confused, because isn't the intro to "Blue Diamonds" played by a single guitar? How could they play the song without the intro? Are you talking about a different intro than what's on the recorded CD version?

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Sat May 15, 2004 5:22 pm

Liesbeth wrote:
anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:I wasn't aware that King of the Hill was such a hit in the Netherlands.

Well, it was always broadcast at impossible times, in the wrong order, with freak repeats - but yes, we love(d) it. Wished it was still on, but we recorded some on videos.
First time I heard about it was on the Bob Mould mailing list, where the story was that Bobby was modelled after Bob... don't know whether that is true or not, but Bobby is one of my favourite characters. Top episode in my book is the one with Willy Nelson - Boomhauer meeting Bob Dylan, amazing!

I'm digressing from topic. Good to hear Spain was good, sorry to hear it was cold.

I'm quite pleased to digress to King of the Hill...so it's not on anymore? How odd, they're still making new ones. You can even get the first couple seasons on DVD now I believe.
Favorite all time KOTH quote,
Kahn: That no baby fat! That permanent!

Los Largos Inviernos

Postby Los Largos Inviernos » Sun May 16, 2004 1:20 am

mms wrote: But I'm confused, because isn't the intro to "Blue Diamonds" played by a single guitar? How could they play the song without the intro? Are you talking about a different intro than what's on the recorded CD version?

Hey mms. Is it really a guitar? It sounds like some kind of keyboard on record, but I may be wrong, of course. Maybe someone could set the record straight... Anyway, it's no big deal, they still sounded awesome. And btw, John mentioned a couple of times that they would be back very soon, but didn't specify. Does anyone know if there's another European tour planned in the near future?

And don't worry about the cold, now it's warm and nice ... finally.

mms

Postby mms » Sun May 16, 2004 11:08 am

Los Largos Inviernos wrote:Hey mms. Is it really a guitar? It sounds like some kind of keyboard on record, but I may be wrong, of course. Maybe someone could set the record straight...

Erm... you're probably right (because I'm practically tone deaf). It has always sounded like a bass guitar, but now that I've listened to it closely, I think it's a keyboard intro. Anybody knows for sure?

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun May 16, 2004 7:20 pm

on the record, it is most definitely a keyboard intro

mms

Postby mms » Sun May 16, 2004 9:42 pm

Unremarkable wrote:on the record, it is most definitely a keyboard intro

Thanks, Un!

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon May 17, 2004 12:14 pm

erm, pardon me in advance from straying off topic completely, but since we've got folks from spain...

I'm going to be at the estrella damm primavera soundfest at the end of the month. (For which TLW would be perfect, alas, maybe next year.)

so there's the pixies/pj harvey/franz ferdinand-y big stage, and then there will also be local acts, which is a little more what i'm after. (Meaning: I've heard the main stages are swamped, so we're gonna need a back up plan, and ya might as well get out there and hear new bands...) I sort of lost touch with the Spanish scene after Le Mans broke up, but I've heard Love of Lesbian and La Buena Vida are cool...any suggestions from our fellow TLW friends in Spain? You obviously have excellent taste in music, seeing as you're here... :)

thanks, squid <---(that's what happens in the states cuando su apellido es Izquierdo. ha!)

Los Largos Inviernos

Postby Los Largos Inviernos » Tue May 18, 2004 10:27 am

Squid wrote: I sort of lost touch with the Spanish scene after Le Mans broke up, but I've heard Love of Lesbian and La Buena Vida are cool...any suggestions from our fellow TLW friends in Spain?

So you're going to the PS ... Good choice, I heard this year they're changing the location of the stages and it will be (hopefully) more comfortable. I'm thinking about going myself, but I'm doing my last two exams before graduating in three weeks and I don't really want to screw it up. I may wait for the FIB (Festival Independiente de Benicassim) in august, since it's the tenth aniversary and it will surely be a hoot.

So... the bands, yeah, right. La Buena Vida are ok, if you like it quiet and bucolic, adn you should definitely check Refree, both on Thursday.

On friday you have Alfaro & Vegas, or Fernando Alfaro (from Chucho) playing songs of his former band Surfin' Bichos with Nacho Vegas, who is a quite popular singer/songwriter around here. Here it's kind of a big deal, but I don't know if it'll be that fascinating for someone not familiar with these bands. You may try Las Perras del Infierno ("Bitches from Hell") for some punk rock inept fun.

On saturday, it's Fernando Alfaro again with his proper band, Chucho, on the main stage. Check it out, it's worth it ... but never if he's playing at the same time as (Smog). In the smaller stages it's Astrud and La Casa Azul, both disco-pop combos wich I'm not a big fan of, but with a fairly large fanbase here in Spain, so you may check them too. And Athom Rumba (at the Escenari Natsi) should be awesome, I saw them opening for Jon Spencer BX and they are insane... but not really pop.

Well, I hope you find this useful. Have fun and try not to get sunburnt ... or soaked in nasty rain, since weather is kinda crazy right now.

Squid

Eres Tan AWESOME

Postby Squid » Tue May 18, 2004 8:01 pm

Seriously, you rock. this is exactly what i was looking for.

we'll see refree for sure then. they're are on the stage with the more interesting stuff anyhow. i'm *slightly familiar* with the music of A&V, so we'll give it a shot. Las Perras certainly have me curious, and inept is the best kind of fun, so we're sure to go. friday's tough coz we have to see casiotone for the painfully alone and i'm DYING to see dj rupture, who is from boston but currently lives in barcelona. of course, everything is on a different stage, which will become more difficult to deal with as the beer/wine/whatever flows. and you've sold me on atom rumba it is. i'm all about insane. trust me.

You've been more than helpful. thank you SO much, and if you decide to go, please drop a line. I definitely owe you a drink. (Or alternately, if you're a pixies fan, drop me a line...) I'll bring the sunblock AND the paraguas.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”