¿como son los concertos del Long Winters en España?

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3258
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Postby Liesbeth » Wed May 19, 2004 3:29 am

Los Largos Inviernos wrote:They seem (and sound!) really comfortable as a power trio, but some of the finer arrangements of the songs were missed, like the intros in "Blue Diamonds" or "Scared Straight", wich I kind of didn't recognize at the start without the horns part.

I must say that I really quite like this sound. Was kinda unsure how I would like this live, without the keyboards and without Sean's vocals. But I think Eric is a good singer. And musically, I like how now the structure of the songs comes out quite well. So many of the songs have amazing bass parts and I also like how the drum parts become more of an instrument as opposed to just a rhythm track (I usually am so caught with the melody that I just take the rhythm for granted, this live setting makes me more aware how much the drum tracks add to these songs).
If I had to choose between the 4piece LW and this trio setting, I might choose this one.

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Wed May 19, 2004 6:11 am

Liesbeth wrote:I must say that I really quite like this sound. Was kinda unsure how I would like this live, without the keyboards and without Sean's vocals. But I think Eric is a good singer. And musically, I like how now the structure of the songs comes out quite well. So many of the songs have amazing bass parts and I also like how the drum parts become more of an instrument as opposed to just a rhythm track (I usually am so caught with the melody that I just take the rhythm for granted, this live setting makes me more aware how much the drum tracks add to these songs).
If I had to choose between the 4piece LW and this trio setting, I might choose this one.


Yeah, it's pretty amazing isn't it? I felt exactly the same way ...wary. But after the show I loved the songs more than ever.

LIVE ALBUM! NEED LIVE ALBUM.

User avatar
Los Largos Inviernos
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Zaragoza, Spain
Contact:

Re: Eres Tan AWESOME

Postby Los Largos Inviernos » Wed May 19, 2004 6:18 am

Squid wrote:You've been more than helpful. thank you SO much, and if you decide to go, please drop a line. I definitely owe you a drink. (Or alternately, if you're a pixies fan, drop me a line...) I'll bring the sunblock AND the paraguas.


Hey, I don't know yet if I'm going to the PS Festival, but that drink you promised may tip the balance. Anyway, I'll decide at the very last moment. I'm a Pixies fan (is there anybody here who isn't?) and hell bent on watching Mudhoney on stage, so I may go just for friday. I also love Wilco, and it's their first time here in Spain, I think, so that's another factor. And Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon should be great, I 've seen Red House Painters twice live, and they were a thing of beauty. Saturday looks fine too, with PJ Harvey, (Smog), Liars Witch Project et al, so who knows? I'll let you know if I go, promise.

Btw, how do you come to know so much about spanish music? I'm impressed...

User avatar
Los Largos Inviernos
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Zaragoza, Spain
Contact:

Postby Los Largos Inviernos » Wed May 19, 2004 6:33 am

Liesbeth wrote:If I had to choose between the 4piece LW and this trio setting, I might choose this one.


I had the chance to meet John after the gig (there were few people, and he was kind of wandering around this wicked building where they had played), and he said they were starting to like a lot the trio format, so he may be with you in this one. Don't get me wrong, I loved the gig, but I was used to the recorded versions of the songs and this trio thing caught me by surprise (I was not a regular here, so I missed the news about Sean's departure). But I agree with you, they are amazing as a 3 piece.

User avatar
anthropomorphizing_kitty
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 3:17 pm
Location: Bonita Springs, FL
Contact:

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed May 19, 2004 10:21 am

Liesbeth wrote:I must say that I really quite like this sound. Was kinda unsure how I would like this live, without the keyboards and without Sean's vocals. But I think Eric is a good singer. And musically, I like how now the structure of the songs comes out quite well. So many of the songs have amazing bass parts and I also like how the drum parts become more of an instrument as opposed to just a rhythm track (I usually am so caught with the melody that I just take the rhythm for granted, this live setting makes me more aware how much the drum tracks add to these songs).
If I had to choose between the 4piece LW and this trio setting, I might choose this one.


Am I a terrible person if I miss Sean terribly?

User avatar
Unremarkable
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:09 am
Current Heading: East
Location: Kennewick?

Postby Unremarkable » Wed May 19, 2004 11:08 am

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:Am I a terrible person if I miss Sean terribly?


I would say no, as I feel the same way. The melodies and keys were a magical part of their show. No disrespect to the power trio.

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3258
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Postby Liesbeth » Wed May 19, 2004 4:35 pm

Not at all, and my judgement might be clouded by the fact that to me, this trio thing is the most recent and I cannot really step back yet and compare more objectively.
But I do know that even at the time when I saw the band with Sean, on some songs (by no means all) I felt that the keyboard parts didn't add that much to the whole, and maybe sort of muddled the sound. No disrespect meant.

User avatar
anthropomorphizing_kitty
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 3:17 pm
Location: Bonita Springs, FL
Contact:

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Wed May 19, 2004 9:07 pm

Liesbeth wrote:Not at all, and my judgement might be clouded by the fact that to me, this trio thing is the most recent and I cannot really step back yet and compare more objectively.
But I do know that even at the time when I saw the band with Sean, on some songs (by no means all) I felt that the keyboard parts didn't add that much to the whole, and maybe sort of muddled the sound. No disrespect meant.


For me it isn't so much the instruments that are lacking. It's Sean's harmonies.


Return to “Give Me a Moment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest