Shhhhh...It's a secret...

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Shhhhh...It's a secret...

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue May 18, 2004 12:21 pm

I'm bringing my son, Jay (8) to his 1st concert...

The Long Winters!!!!

6/8/04 at Maxwell's in Hoboken NJ....

My Uncle Jon took me to see Grand Funk Railroad, (Shea Stadium)
When I was 7...

get down here

Postby get down here » Tue May 18, 2004 12:28 pm

that is FAN-TASTIC news. My first time was when my parents took me to see Alice Cooper... which now probably explains a lot.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue May 18, 2004 2:44 pm

I was 12.

Paula Abdul.

Opener: Color Me Bad

"to the tick tock you don't stop...Mom, what does it mean to "knock boots"?"

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Tue May 18, 2004 2:49 pm

I was either 9 or 10.

Elton John. With the parents. I remember thinking how distinctly uncool it was at the time, but in retrospect I suppose it could have been something far worse.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Tue May 18, 2004 2:56 pm

Beach Boys at the Puyallup Fair. I must have been about 8 or 9 also.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Tue May 18, 2004 3:05 pm

my first show ever was the sex pistols reunion show with gravity kills at the rave in milwaukee.. i was 13 or 14 and i got in SERIOUS trouble for it. i snuck out and would have gotten away with it if my sneaky mom hadn't found the ticket stub in my pants pocket when doing my wash.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Tue May 18, 2004 3:21 pm

My first concert was the Jimmy Page / Robert Plant show at the Tacoma Dome, in support of their new 'unplugged MTV' performance...

Even at such a young age, I recognized the terrible acoustics of the T-dome and vowed never to return.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue May 18, 2004 4:09 pm

NatureBoy wrote:Even at such a young age, I recognized the terrible acoustics of the T-dome and vowed never to return.

it's true. just about the worst place for a concert ever.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Tue May 18, 2004 4:49 pm

chelsea wrote:
NatureBoy wrote:Even at such a young age, I recognized the terrible acoustics of the T-dome and vowed never to return.

I've heard tell, so fortunately I steared clear. Oh, except one time I saw Sinbad there.

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue May 18, 2004 4:51 pm

mildlyrestarted wrote:my first show ever was the sex pistols reunion show with gravity kills at the rave in milwaukee.. i was 13 or 14 and i got in SERIOUS trouble for it. i snuck out and would have gotten away with it if my sneaky mom hadn't found the ticket stub in my pants pocket when doing my wash.

I got nailed going to see Anthrax/Celtic Frost at CBGB's
the same exact way...
I was 19, but I lived at home, and Mom told me
she didn't want me going...
She was inevitably right, I got a mild-concussion by breaking the
1st rule of "The Pit":
"Keep your head down"...

PS-Jay said if he ever went to see LW, he wants to bring a
"Giant Fork and Spoon" to John as a present...
Where do I get them?
Marshall's, TJ Max, home depot?
Help, please?

Rich

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue May 18, 2004 5:56 pm

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:
chelsea wrote:

I've heard tell, so fortunately I steared clear. Oh, except one time I saw Sinbad there.

oh YEAH? well i saw both *nsync and ricky martin there - beat THAT!

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Tue May 18, 2004 6:32 pm

Harvey Winters wrote:PS-Jay said if he ever went to see LW, he wants to bring a
"Giant Fork and Spoon" to John as a present...
Where do I get them?
Marshall's, TJ Max, home depot?
Help, please?

Rich

Well there's always that great clearinghouse of crap (ebay)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36019&item=4302677379&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

hovering

Postby hovering » Tue May 18, 2004 7:11 pm

i always wanted to see wilson phillips when i was younger, but never got the opportunity to. sadly, i don't remember my first concert. my dad always took me to little festivals and stuff, and so did my mother, so it was either a) some really bad classic rock act or b) some really bad country act.

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue May 18, 2004 8:48 pm

hovering wrote:i always wanted to see wilson phillips when i was younger, but never got the opportunity to

i took my little sister to a new kids on the block concert. Thirty Helens Agree: High pitched squealing really CAN make your ears bleed! It's a fact.

I myself was pretty much locked in the house until i was 18 (which explains a great deal about my behavior now), but I managed to sneak out when i was 16 for my first show: OMD and the Thompson Twins @ the oakland coliseum. I still have my shirt. (OMD, of course. Only losers buy the headliner's shirt! word.)

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue May 18, 2004 9:01 pm

the new girl wrote:
Well there's always that great clearinghouse of crap (ebay)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36019&item=4302677379&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

OMG. You actually found a giant fork and spoon! A real Giant Fork and Spoon! for sale! Ugly and cheap!

LOL-- these should be crisscrossed on the front grill of the tour van like a hunting trophy.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Tue May 18, 2004 9:09 pm

NatureBoy wrote:My first concert was the Jimmy Page / Robert Plant show at the Tacoma Dome, in support of their new 'unplugged MTV' performance...

Wow, my first concert was also Page & Plant, but at The Gorge (with my mom and her b-friend). I think I was like 8 or 9 or so...All I can remember was that I eventually got tired and bored, and just wanted to leave.

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Wed May 19, 2004 12:24 am

hey.. my first concert was janet jackson in the rythmnation tour.

i hjatet he tacoma dome- i saw hoobastank and i almost missed the meet and greet almost- but i got there and i was all alone with the delicious doug robb and co!

the janet jackson thing is a secret (as in.. i was iin the penpal section forbop magazine loving julia roberts color me badd and markey mark!)

the first show i chose was mike watt,foo fighters and eddievedder. i met shelli novoselic, she handed us flyers and staired at mef and raelene all evening.

please, does anyone still like super deluxe? i am so hard core. and soda jerk, ? tube top? i gotta go to gavinguss' hose and sing and hang..sweet water? hung out with chris lockwood after a show once. :D!!

BRADEN BLAKE RULES!!

xmas pagent, fun!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed May 19, 2004 1:39 am

Toontje Lager when I was 13, at a first year anniversary weekend for a radio show for teenagers called Paperclip.
This was in the middle of the Dutch wave of keyboard pop, and the singer had beautiful blue eyes as well.
Ah, now that's a long time ago.

stephanie

the downward spiral

Postby stephanie » Wed May 19, 2004 6:26 am

First show! 18 January 1995: Pop Will Eat Itself, the Jim Rose Circus, and Nine Inch Nails at the MECCA Arena (since renamed U.S. Cellular Arena) in Milwaukee, WI.
I was 12 years old, newly transplanted to a town 45 minutes from Milwaukee, halfway through 8th grade. I'd neatly pierced my nose with a sterilised safety pin and dyed my hip-length hair dark green for the occasion. My mum (a.k.a. the most lenient, understanding mum in history) let me take the day off school and dropped me off downtown to wait in line with all my fellow NIN fans. They took to me immediately and with great admiration and love, and even the kids who'd driven from states away decided I needed to be front and centre, right up against the fence separating us from the stage.
Though I hated them when I saw them (mostly because they were playign before the band I really, really wanted to see), Pop Will Eat Itself are now my all-time favourite band. NIN took the stage after a cringeworthy Jim Rose Circus performance, and I screamed until I couldn't anymore -- I was six feet away from Trent Reznor, mind. After a few NIN songs, some oaf being bodypassed kicked my face into the front-row barricade. I passed out, got dragged out of the audience by security, and woke up on a stretcher with a bloody lip. Much to the chagrin of the paramedics, I shook off the dizziness and ran right back into the crowd.
One of the best memories I could ever hope to have.

Rich, I hope Jay has an equally amazing time even if his first rock show happens to be in Hoboken, NJ. Good luck.

heathalouise

Postby heathalouise » Wed May 19, 2004 6:46 am

the new girl wrote:Well there's always that great clearinghouse of crap (ebay)...

My family had those in our kitchen when I was little. I remember asking my parents what had happened to them when I got my first apt. They probably threw them out, or they're buried somewhere in the attic. They were a hot kitchen accessory in the '70s.

As for my first concert, it was Bobby Brown in the Boston Garden, 1989. Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock were supposed to open, but they dropped out of the tour. I really wanted to hear "It Takes Two" "live."

squid wrote:Only losers buy the headliner's shirt! word.

My second concert was supposed to be R.E.M. and the Throwing Muses later that year, but my mom decided at the last minute that she didn't want me going with the "bad kids." My best friend took pity on me and bought me a throwing muses shirt. I still have it.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”