IT FINALLY HAPPENED

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

hovering

IT FINALLY HAPPENED

Post by hovering »

So. Yeah. The Long Winters in Carrboro last night? Fucking AMAZING. I couldn't decide who was better--The Decemberists or The L-Dubs, so I declared it a tie and decided my TEN HOUR DRIVE was really fucking worth it. I told John that I trekked from Florida and he said I would be rewarded very, very soon. Let's just hope he wasn't lying. I asked that they play Unsalted Butter, but I'm sure they were planning on it anyway. The banter was fantastic, though I heard some kid behind me continue to make comments about everything he said. He threatened the kids that every time he saw them with their arms crossed, he would play thirty seconds of blues. The blues face? FUCKING FANTASTIC.

Anyway, setlist as following (I scribbled this down on cheap hotel paper; I am 98% sure I got it accurate because I'd forget after four songs then try to go back):
01 stupid
02 car parts
03 unsalted butter
04 shapes
05 blue diamonds
06 scent of lime
07 scared straight
08 cinnamon [but no cinnamon girl]
09 new girl

After Shapes, John asked if anybody was sick of hearing him play guitar. The room was silent--a good sign; but the switch between him and Eric was great. I saw Michael smile once while playing drums, I swear. Take THAT, Heather! I was impressed with Eric doing backing vocals.

I got a little camera happy and ended up taking a total of 3 rolls of film. I'm sure at least 1/2 of them are ones I can completely disregard, but I have to get my film developed tomorrow. I was in an okay spot, but really to only get shots of John. Not that he isn't a total chick magnet, y'know, but I hate only getting photographs of lead singers; however, I am not good at shoving my way in front of people.
Cat's Cradle recorded the shows (do they do this all the time?) so I bought a copy of that. Just the Long Winters, though; unfortunately, no Decemberists.
Colin Meloy broke a string during the set and apparently, John is his guitar tech. He said, "If John ever broke strings, I'd do the same for him.. but he doesn't. He's just THAT damn good" and the words could not be any truer.

Uh.. so, yeah, I'm giddy--can anybody tell?

Also, to the boy with the black blazer and the glasses in the front who sort of resembled Colin Meloy and said, when John asked for requests, "ANYTHING BUT FREEBIRD!" -- I think I love you. Are you here?
heather

Re: IT FINALLY HAPPENED

Post by heather »

hovering wrote:\
After Shapes, John asked if anybody was sick of hearing him play guitar. The room was silent--a good sign; but the switch between him and Eric was great. I saw Michael smile once while playing drums, I swear. Take THAT, Heather! I was impressed with Eric doing backing vocals.

Man, I LOVE Take That!
Kateness

Post by Kateness »

Back for Good! Robbie Williams! Life was sweeter when Take That ruled the British pop charts.
gingerman

Post by gingerman »

quote]Robbie Williams![/quote]
you can't be serious.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

glad to hear the LW experience was worth the journey, heather.
now you're doomed like the rest of us, it's in your blood. cool!
spydirweb

Post by spydirweb »

I was there, too. I went to the show at the cradle in april and I have to say the april show was better. I think after all that touring the guys are just beat.

I think I saw you taking pictures...I noticed a few feet to my right someone kept raising their camera...over...and over...and over... ;-)

If those kids are the same ones that were behind me, they were kinna jerks. They were obviously there just to see the decemberists. I've, up to that point, only had a chance to listen through the decemberist's CD's once but after that show they've been playing in the MP3 player non-stop.

BTW, it was Emusic that recorded the snow, not the cradle itself. I'm sure they helped with the recording though. The guys at the cradle are seriously some of the most badass mofos to ever run a club. I only wish the guys would come through Raleigh instead of chapel hill. A trek from florida's obviously worse then from raleigh to chapel hill/carrboro, but still, I hate that area ;-)
hovering

Post by hovering »

spydirweb wrote:I think I saw you taking pictures...I noticed a few feet to my right someone kept raising their camera...over...and over...and over... ;-)

I am so obnoxious with my camera and I apologize profusely for that.
___enfilade

Post by ___enfilade »

hovering wrote:He threatened the kids that every time he saw them with their arms crossed, he would play thirty seconds of blues.

Well certainly, I shouldn't do this, but I will fess up and say that I am one of the kids who got threatened. I WAS thoroughly enjoying the show despite what it may have looked like.
hovering

Post by hovering »

___enfilade wrote:
hovering wrote:He threatened the kids that every time he saw them with their arms crossed, he would play thirty seconds of blues.

Well certainly, I shouldn't do this, but I will fess up and say that I am one of the kids who got threatened. I WAS thoroughly enjoying the show despite what it may have looked like.

i always cross my arms, no matter what. it's a bad habit, i suppose.
spydirweb

Post by spydirweb »

I've noticed at indie/"emo" shows most kids do that...It's kinna funny, to me. I love the music but I kinna do the same thing. It's really hard to "dance" or headbang or anything to...let's say...Mimi. It's not like ska where you just skank, or rap where you...what do you do at a rap concert?...nod your head all thug-ishly?
___enfilade

Post by ___enfilade »

spydirweb wrote:what do you do at a rap concert?...nod your head all thug-ishly?

Not that I would know or anything, but I assume that's what you'd do.
There has to be something to do at shows besides cross your arms all the time though. I just haven't figured it out yet.
SlimChance

Post by SlimChance »

List of things to do at a rap concert;

1) Get involved in a drug raid
2) Become associated with 'Da Cripz,' and have them hunt you down
3) Of course, nod your head
4) Get a foxy whore's number (dayam)
5) Say 'hell yeah' a lot.
6) Booze and smoke bone
7) Leave, go to an after party, and get a sexually transmitted disease
8) Regret you'd ever went to that concert, and wish you went to a Long Winters one, instead

There you go...
___enfilade

Post by ___enfilade »

That was the best list of things to do at a rap concert I've ever heard. IF I ever attend one (haha) I will certainly remember these important things. Thank you for your insight on such a world we know so little about.
-peace out, yo-
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

I know I often stand with my arms crossed because I cannot stand up throughout a whole gig if I don't.
weak back, no sun tan, hell, maybe I'm an indie kid too
spydirweb

Post by spydirweb »

at the concert in question me and my friend noticed something walking in..."When you see a 210lbs kid and a 120lbs kid trying to wear the same size clothes, you know you're at an indie show..."
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

all's i know is i will be deflowered, as it were, tomorrow night, and i ain't gonna have my arms crossed!!!!
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

spydirweb wrote:at the concert in question me and my friend noticed something walking in..."When you see a 210lbs kid and a 120lbs kid trying to wear the same size clothes, you know you're at an indie show..."

WORD.
aj

Post by aj »

spydirweb wrote:at the concert in question me and my friend noticed something walking in..."When you see a 210lbs kid and a 120lbs kid trying to wear the same size clothes, you know you're at an indie show..."

or a skeezy trendy pick-up club.

flip it and reverse it.
heather

Post by heather »

that's lame.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

I weigh 220 lbs and I find that I have to skin at least two 120 lb indie kids to make a full suit of clothes.