Atlanta show 6/17

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

dchris

Atlanta show 6/17

Post by dchris »

The setlist: (This is almost assuredly in the wrong order, but these ARE the songs they played.)
1 Stupid
2 Carparts
3 Shapes
4 Samaritan
5 Blue Diamonds
6 Scared Straight
7 Cinnamon/ Cinnamon Girl
8 The Sound of Coming Down
9 New Girl

a few notes:
I wasn't expecting much of a turn-out with the last minute change from 18+ to 21+, but the show was packed.

Michael appreciated my Long Winters t-shirt and he shook my hand and I introduced myself while they were setting up. What is all this madness I hear about him not smiling?

After Carparts, John noted "This is an all-request show." Although I had earlier claimed to be dying to hear Medicine Cabinet Pirate, told someone I would request Unsalted Butter, and would love to see Nora again, I found myself screaming "MIMI!" Some girls behind me were Mimi proponents, too. There were also calls for Unsalted Butter and Samaritan. John was unhappy with these requests. "Those are all from the first album." He called us snobs. So, I requested Cinnamon. I heard Cinnamon at Sasquatch already, but I was hoping to get the Cinnamon Girl medley. After all that, they played Shapes anyway. They later granted the Samaritan request, noting it's a song they rarely play live. I guess they didn't feel like playing stuff from the first album, because all but two songs in the whole set were from the second.

Because of the odd monitor placement, it was hard to see anything but John. My pictures are a victim of that. I did try and take pictures of Michael, but both attempts were just John's legs and a drumset.

John mentioned that he read a review of the LWs in an Atlanta newspaper that referred to them as "less literary and less lighthearted than the Decemberists." Me: "You need to say pantaloons more!" He said he's try to be more literary, and would spend the next 20 minutes reciting Beowulf. He stood still for a second, then turned to Michael and Eric. "What's the first line?" Note to the guy in the audience: Beowulf's in Middle English.

They played the Cinnamon Girl medley! yay! Thank you!

The Decemberists were great, too. The Tain was especially wonderful, and I could have watched that forever.

I chatted quickly with John after the show, but left kind of abruptly. I did have a five hour drive home.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

oh NICE pictures! especially the ones of colin my love. can anyone confirm or finally put to rest the rumor that he's "an ass"?
hovering

Post by hovering »

my goal was to find Colin before the show and beg (or harass) him to play "angel, won't you call me?" and THEN ask him to play "apology song" in atlanta and dedicate it to my friend, but alas, I only saw jenny conlee and she was on her cell phone, so I didn't want to be rude.

however, on stage? he seemed like one of the nicest people ever.
and also, a friend saw them in atlanta and said he wrote on a napkin to please play the song about madeline with a shot of tequila and Colin smiled a lot about that, so he seems nice to me.

ALSO, THE SOUND OF COMING DOWN? by the time John asked for a request, I didn't know what to say so I went with "nora" -- but the person behind me who screamed "scent of lime" was a bit louder.
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

chelsea wrote:oh NICE pictures! especially the ones of colin my love. can anyone confirm or finally put to rest the rumor that he's "an ass"?

isn't the way someone feels about another person usually a bit subjective?
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

No... he's totally an ass.
dchris

Post by dchris »

I was right next to the tequila shot guy. He may or may not have been one of the guys next to me that came up from Orlando.

Yes. The Sound of Coming Down.

Chelsea, The Places actually mentioned that as a fundraiser for their broken transmission they were going to auction off a dream date with Colin Meloy, which made me think of you immediately. I think they were kidding about that, but she seemed pretty serious.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

dchris wrote:Chelsea, The Places actually mentioned that as a fundraiser for their broken transmission they were going to auction off a dream date with Colin Meloy, which made me think of you immediately. I think they were kidding about that, but she seemed pretty serious.

holy jesus! i would go into debt for YEARS for such an opportunity...*sigh*

glad to hear the good reports about colin my love. i'm just gonna assume that john's being his good ol' sarcastic self.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Actually, he's a complete ass.
hovering

Post by hovering »

dchris wrote:I was right next to the tequila shot guy. He may or may not have been one of the guys next to me that came up from Orlando.

if he resembled a younger version of ben gibbard, it was a guy I know.