THe Long Winters are awesome!

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

quickstop711

THe Long Winters are awesome!

Post by quickstop711 »

omg I had never heard of these guys until a few days ago when I saw them open for the Decembrists and man are they amazing! I haven't been able to put away their cd for days, and I must say they are pretty funny guys (well at least john anyways). I just wanted to put this out there for all the jealous florida fans because I now can say I've seen them HAH! But yes if you ever get the chance check them out they are totally cool!

P.S. John if you see this I will make it to 50 states before you! This summer (hehe)
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

I know how you feel. First time I saw the LW was when they opened for Death Cab. Had never heard of them before that, but they blew me away.

The fun part was, the next time they came to town I brought a friend with who had never heard of them, and he had the same experience.

They're like a virus. A rockin' virus.

Or some sort of Boogie Woogie Infulenza.
quickstop711

Post by quickstop711 »

hey man thats awesome i need to start introducing them to my friends also because they really are addictive and stuff.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

No You Are wrote:they're like a virus. A rockin' virus.

the Otter virus?
thewalrus

stu-frickin'-pendous

Post by thewalrus »

the first, and unfortunately only, time i saw the long winters, was at bumbershoot 2003. they thouroughly amazed me. ever since i have been one big cloud of fan. they have quickly risin up the ranks of best bands in my mind.
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

You should have gone to Sasquatch. Screw the 'Mainstage"!
nwheather

Post by nwheather »

Hear hear!

I got turned onto TLW by Ms. Warmfuzzysocks on a different site. I saw this weird-looking thing in her sig that said, 'No, You Are!' and clicked it just to see...the rest, as they say...well, you know.

Just this weekend, I went to a listening party in TX for the new R.E.M. record, due out tomorrow (10/5). I had a burned copy because WBR fucked me up the ass--and no, it didn't feel very good--and thus had about 20 mins. of extra space on the CD.

Guess what I filled the space with? Bet you can't guess...I also bet our hostess gets hooked on TLW, if not now, then certainly after we meet in Nashville/Atlanta/maybe Athens later this month! (I will see to it personally!)

I, too, have only seen TLW once: Dallas, 6/21/04. (A day that will live in infamy!) Likewise, they opened for the Decemberists. Frankly, I was not impressed by the Decemberists, but then TLW was a tough act to follow. (wOw!) Can't wait to see 'em again...oh, wait...I have to. =(
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

I think the Decemberists are definately a respectable group, especially when it comes to the vocals. However, if TLW were on the same ticket, I really wouldn't be paying much attention to the former.
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

Yarn wrote:I think the Decemberists are definately a respectable group, especially when it comes to the vocals. However, if TLW were on the same ticket, I really wouldn't be paying much attention to the former.

If The Long Winters are currently the best band in Washington (which I do believe) then I think Decemberists are the best band in Oregon. I love those guys.

Quickstop...I just moved to Florida, where did you see them? I'm looking for places that play respectabe indie music.
dchris

Post by dchris »

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:Quickstop...I just moved to Florida, where did you see them? I'm looking for places that play respectabe indie music.

That particular tour certainly didn't come any further south than Atlanta.
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

dchris wrote:
anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:Quickstop...I just moved to Florida, where did you see them? I'm looking for places that play respectabe indie music.

That particular tour certainly didn't come any further south than Atlanta.

What we need is for indie bands across the country to take more of an interest over here (FL). There's an excellent site (showed to me by Grant) over at www.indieriot.com. I encourage everyone to go check it out and register with the board over there. The more excitement generated on that site, the more effort that will go into building it up and maintaining it. You can also expect to see album reviews of local acts there and other articles by yours truly in the near future. If we're going to get great NW bands like TLW over here, we need to first start by generating buzz around our own scene. I also encourage any Southeastern musicians (not just Floridians) to check out this site as it's a great tool to promote your band.
*stepping off of soapbox now*
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

nwheather wrote:I also bet our hostess gets hooked on TLW, if not now, then certainly after we meet in Nashville/Atlanta/maybe Athens later this month! (I will see to it personally!)

you mean Lucy?
nice to see the goodness being passed on
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote:I think Decemberists are the best band in Oregon. I love those guys.

Well, James Mercer (creative force of The Shins) lives in Portland . . . so I would have to put The Decemberists at #2 in Oregon. Then again, Mercer is a New Mexico native.
L u c y
Current Heading: South

Post by L u c y »

yes! give The Shins to New Mexico, The Decemberists shall not be theived of #1!
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

As you wish :)
nwheather

Post by nwheather »

anthropomorphizing_kitty wrote: What we need is for indie bands across the country to take more of an interest over here (FL)...
*stepping off of soapbox now*

*stepping right on in your place*
What we need is for this shit to stop.

I just about blew chunks when I read this. Probably not news to most of you, but it's still disgusting.