San Diego representin'

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Endo23

San Diego representin'

Post by Endo23 »

So... i live in LA but decided I couldn't hack another show at the El Rey theater for the following 3 reasons:

1) The place is HUGE, like cavernous, with questionable acoustics
2) It's all-ages and the young folks don't dance in LA
3) Miller Lite is at least 5 bucks per plastic cup, maybe more

Now, before you hate me for comment 2, I'd like to say that I was born and raised in all-ages venues throughout the Pacific Northwest, but the LA all-ages scene is a uniquely frightening beast, populated by silver spooners who show up en masse rocking Ugg Boots, $80 vintage tees and $500 haircuts, then proceed to pose rakishly throughout the venue, occupying precious real estate while standing statue-still and making snide comments about the band onstage. It's REALLY disheartening and has ruined too many otherwise great shows for me (The Dismemberment Plan and The Unicorns chief among them), so... I had to opt out.

Off to San Diego I trekked, to The Casbah, which is not only an awesome venue, but allows me to quip, "The Long Winters really rocked the Casbah!" ad nauseum, irritating friends and enemies alike. Intimate, cheap, populated by laid-back locals and stocked with delicious beers on tap, the Casbah is located in death-defying proximity to the San Diego airport, so you get the added bonus of low-flying aircraft grazing the club every ten minutes. Pretty freaky.

I talked to J. Ro before the show and he repeatedly noted the band was worn out from the tour, subtly suggesting that I was in for a less-than-rocking LW performance... but fortunately, he was full of it, because the band completely kicked ass and left me feeling euphoric as ever. This was the first time i'd seen the "leaner, meaner" power trio lineup, and boy were my reservations unfounded. I mean, i love me some Sean, but Eric's back-up vocals were great, and John's guitar playing has become downright "incendiary," to borrow a rock-journalist cliche from Mr. Crowe. Seriously, two-hand-tapping solos? Blues jams? Who are these guys?

They debuted a great new song that i wish i could remember well enough to quote here, and played the usual faves... and I don't know how the hell they pulled off "Blue Diamonds" without a keyboard, but they did, and bless 'em for it.

The banter was pretty choice, and they even took requests, though "Mimi" was shot down for being too difficult to play. I didn't even bother to holler out "Government Loans," which I'm pretty sure I'll never get to hear live. Maybe when they hire Ken Stringfellow on second guitar and add a phalanx of keyboard players to the lineup...

Anyway, the show smoked and my only complaint is that their set was too short. Can't wait to see the boys again, and if they're reading this, good luck recording the new album... I await it with baited breath and brandished wallet.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

I really think that when John is two hand tapping he should prop one foot up high on a monitor, lean back and lash his tongue out
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

hottt.
kyle

Post by kyle »

the young folks dont dance in LA? true true, but u shoulda seen me at the el rey i was crazy rockin yo! im not even from LA...hmm...yeah 909 represent!
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

kyle wrote:the young folks dont dance in LA? true true, but u shoulda seen me at the el rey i was crazy rockin yo! im not even from LA...hmm...yeah 909 represent!

It's all true.
Endo23

Post by Endo23 »

Well, there you go, 'cause I'm not knockin' the 909. It's the 310 you gotta worry about...

How was the El Rey show, anyway? Were my fears unfounded?
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

The El Rey rocked my socks off personally. Of course there were tons of fashion kids, standing around, not rocking out, but I guess I'm so used to that by now. Plus, I was leaning against the stage, so I couldn't even see any of those wankers.