Collaberation?

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Collaberation?

Postby Unremarkable » Fri May 02, 2003 11:44 am

In the liner notes for When I Pretend to Fall, It says: "All songs by John Roderick, except 'Shapes' Roderick/Horning". Who is "Horning"? What is the story behind this? Also, I've heard John call the song "More Than Shapes" at shows. Is that the official title, or is it just "Shapes", as in the liner notes?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun May 04, 2003 4:08 pm

I met Kevin Horning on the first day of seventh grade at Wendler Junior High in Anchorage. Many years later we had a band together called The Bun Family Players. Kevin was/is a great guitarist and we wrote many songs together back in the day, most of which were never recorded.

In (more than) Shapes the initial pattern of the riff, which I turned around, that is a hammer-on/ pull-off of F# D F# D C# A C# A (or, for those who are not musicians, the part that goes boodily-boodily-boo-dee, boodily-boodily-boo-dee), was something that Kevin wrote on the guitar. We wrote a song around it back then, but that song had about fifty chords, three time-signature changes, and the lyrics advocated having babies out of wedlock.

Last summer I was sitting in New York and I played that little half of the riff and then wrote a whole new song around it, but that riff came from Kevin and I knew I had to give him credit for it.

If I ever run out of song ideas I can always make a record of the science-rock that we wrote together.

Unremarkable

Postby Unremarkable » Mon May 05, 2003 10:18 am

Thank you very much John!

Karousme

wow that is cool

Postby Karousme » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:18 pm

You know that is one of the coolest riffs on the album. And it sounds really hard to play.

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Re: wow that is cool

Postby Merlin » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:26 pm

Karousme wrote:You know that is one of the coolest riffs on the album. And it sounds really hard to play.

I made John play it for me several times right in front of my nose and I still have no idea what he's doing.

It's lots of fruity pulloffs in the V to VII area on like D & G (which you probably figured out). What makes it hard for me are the changes; they're never on the string I think they should be.

It's a zen thing. Like how many babies can you fit in a tire?

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:51 pm

Does this riff have the Buddha nature? I would think so.

I've been playing this all day, showing off for my friends! That's what usually happens when you just learn a riff you've been drooling over for a month.

I like how there is that subtle slide from the B to the C# in there. So cool.

here's a quick and dirty tab of it. there are varations on the chorus and interlude, you can probably figure them out once you get this.
>e ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>B ----------3-------3---------------------------------------------------------
>G ---h4p0---h4p0---4/6------------------------------------2-------2----------
>D ----------------------------------2-------2-----------h4p0---h4p0---h4p0---
>A ---------------------------h4p0---h4p0---h4p0-------------------------------
>E -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>e ---------------------------
>B ----------------------------
>G ---------------------------
>D ---------2-------2----------
>A --h4p0---h4p0---h4p0--
>E -----------------------------

Dan
Mod Emeritus

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:09 am

Oooh. That's nice.

I somehow left both of my guitar cables in Boston, but brought back to Syracuse an extension cable that is now, of course, completely useless, so I'm fiddling with it on acoustic, which, of course, doesn't sound as good. I'm a marginally competent guitarist after three-plus years of self-teaching, but I don't think I could have picked that out by ear. Thanks.

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:51 am

Karousme wrote:here's a quick and dirty tab of it.

You're the man, Karousme!

This is going to be my new "Crazy Train" to impress chicks at parties.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:02 pm

I've been playing this all day, but I can't quite get the 4/6 slide fast enough...is this ring finger, or pinkie?

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:00 am

Whoa, this thread is active again. In that case, I have to revise my tab... it's wrong. After seeing John play this a bunch of times (and doing some 'chop-copping') i finally figured it out awhile ago.

the only part that is wrong is the part over the A chord. to play that right, when you slide up the 4/6, stay there and play the boodily-boodily part on the 7th fret of the D string. jockey that back and forth on the 6th fret of the G string. i'm not going to tab it out on account of laziness and lateness. i hope that makes a little bit of sense

i also kinda figured out the solo, but once again, it's just too late to tab that out right now

and i usually start the riff with my index and middle finger, then use my ring and middle for the rest of it

Unremarkable

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:49 am

Karousme wrote: jockey that back and forth on the 6th fret of the G string.

heheh, you said "G string".

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:22 pm

Unremarkable wrote:heheh, you said "G string".

thank you for that, after all that technobabble that was just what I needed
don't get me wrong, I love this riff, but all I understand from the description is 'boodily'. sort of.

I'm wise enough not to learn to play guitar beyond my famous 6 chords, it keeps the magic intact

toysinger

Postby toysinger » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:20 am

Hey! New guy here. That is such a great riff! I am at work so there's no guitar around, but I just know when I get home I'll get it (If at a slower pace) but then I'll get mad cause I can't sing the damn thing at the same time. Talented guy, that John...

babysharks

Bun Family Players

Postby babysharks » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:42 pm

This is a good riff. anybody know which BFP song it is from?

Rob

Shapes Guitar Tabs

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:38 pm

I wrote the chords and tabs for Shapes for one of my guitar students a while back, and it's available on my website now. I recommend pasting it into a word document if you want to print it out.

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/Guitar%2 ... Shapes.htm

For example, here's the main riff. I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

|-----------------------------|----------------------------|
|-------3----------3---------|----------------------------|
|-4-p0-----4-p0-----4-/6-|--------6--------6------0-|
|-----------------------------|-7-p0-----7-p0-----7-----|

|----------------------------|----------------------------|
|-------2---------2------2-|----------------------------|
|-4-p0-----4-p0-----4---|-----------2--------2------0-|
|----------------------------|-4-p0------4-p0-----4----|

Here's a picking tip: As a general rule, when playing notes that alternate between two strings (like this riff), pick on the "outside" of the string pair (downstrokes on the lower-pitched string, upstrokes on the higher-pitched string) instead of alternate picking or doing all downstrokes.

Also, a note about my formatting: In some parts of the song, you'll see chords written like this:

/ G - - - / - - A - /

The "/" marks are bars of a measure. A written chord counts for one beat of that chord, and "-" marks count for more beats of the same chord. So the aforementioned example means, play G for six beats (one and a half measures) and A for two beats (half a measure).

There are also tabs on my site for Nada Surf's Blizzard of '77, a Death Cab song, and a couple Shins songs (as well as all the Hillary Duff and Linsay Lohan you could ever hope for). You can find them all here:

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/chords.htm

Have Fun!

Return to “Band Nerd!”