Keyboards and such

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

heather

Keyboards and such

Postby heather » Mon May 05, 2003 7:52 am

What kind of keyboard(s) does Sean use?

agnew
Ombudsman

Postby agnew » Mon May 05, 2003 11:00 am

Sean has been using two keyboards: a 70's Rhoads piano with a distortion box, which is the same kind of piano they used in Harvey Danger, and an 80's Roland synthesizer called a Juno-106 that belongs to John. But they've been talking about simplifying that and only using one keyboard, mostly because a Rhoads weighs about 100 pounds. We'll just have to wait and see when they hit the road again.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Mon May 05, 2003 11:45 am

agnew -- who are you? :) you are all-knowing.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu May 08, 2003 10:23 am

Just been reading up on the Optigan. Splendid, stirring stuff. Optical sampling -- just lovely.

Nonetheless... I'm wondering two things:
First, how an Optigan might compare with other sampling instruments like the mellotron, in general character and timbre and what-not.

Second, and most contentiously, what might the touring ensemble consider when deciding to "hit the road" with a vintage instrument? Especially when budgets don't allow for teams of porters to bear the great bulky things on and off stage.

I've had the mixed fortune to have assisted in carrying a Rhodes piano and my back has never fully recovered. Yet the synthesized sounds aren't quite, some say, up to snuff!

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Thu May 08, 2003 1:16 pm

Hooray, these are the nerdy questions I live for. In my experience the Optigan is extremely flimsy. They were made for rec rooms and sold by Wards or Sears. The melotron actually plays a loop of tape, so it's pretty organic, whereas the Optigan "reads" little floppy plastic "records" by shining a light through them. I've opened a couple of Optigans and they always seem to be filled with spiders.

As for the vintage keyboards, they are my bane. The modern samplers sometimes sound fine but they always suck to play unless you spend 3000 and then they weigh as much as a Rhoads. Except... for the Nord Electro, which is foxy, sounds great and plays pretty darn good. We're getting one.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri May 09, 2003 5:45 am

And what samples will you be feeding into the Nord Electro?

Oh, wait a bit -- just looked at the site:
http://www.clavia.se/nordelectro/

where it says:
The organ in the Electro 2 is based on a digital simulation of the mechanical tone wheels of the B-3 organ. It offers a number of very innovative solutions to mimic the typical B-3 sound. The piano section comprises several carefully multi-sampled electric piano instruments. As a bonus we also included an acoustic grand piano (concert model). The Electro 2 also sports a USB interface for quick and easy download of new piano sounds.

Does it allow one to feed in sounds from elsewhere, then?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri May 09, 2003 12:24 pm

Yes, but the bottleneck is the technology, as always. We need it to be simple, because we are not electrical engineers. If there are too many numbers and switches, we get sad. Unless, of course, we're talking about guitar effects pedals...

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Wed May 14, 2003 8:35 am

guitar effect pedals seem to have an interesting effect on musicians... i remember ken happily hopping around (and frequently stepping on the wrong one) on/near/over those thingies...

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Postby AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta » Thu May 15, 2003 4:57 am

Liz wrote:guitar effect pedals seem to have an interesting effect on musicians... i remember ken happily hopping around (and frequently stepping on the wrong one) on/near/over those thingies...

you're only jealous cos you can't wail and screech and howl with a piano pedal! ;-)

:-)

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Thu May 15, 2003 6:56 am

Actually, I've found it quite surprising, the sounds you can make with a simple Casio keyboard by simply running it through a pedal or two into a guitar amp (overdriven, with reverb). And then miking the amp.

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Postby AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta » Thu May 15, 2003 9:18 am

grant wrote:Actually, I've found it quite surprising, the sounds you can make with a simple Casio keyboard by simply running it through a pedal or two into a guitar amp (overdriven, with reverb). And then miking the amp.

but you need the guitar pedals, see?! exactly my point. i play my mandolin through a guitar amp. nice sound! :-D

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri May 16, 2003 4:50 am

the problem with pianos/keyboards is simply that you have to sit down while playing. i think tha't why many people on keys look a little pissy by default

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

Postby AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta » Fri May 16, 2003 8:34 am

what about this most 1980's of inventions, the strap-on keyboard? i still have one somewhere, a yamaha. weird thing all in all...

AffluentSuburbOfAtlanta

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Mon May 19, 2003 6:47 am

the problem with pianos/keyboards is simply that you have to sit down while playing. i think tha't why many people on keys look a little pissy by default.

Au contraire!

Not all keyboardists sit:

Image . Image . Image . Image

Nor are all keyboards designed for sitting:

Image . Image . Image . Image

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

nice post

Postby Merlin » Mon May 19, 2003 8:57 am

Grant, regrettably, I sometimes go a month or more without mentioning that you're the wind beneath my wings.

Moni

Nicely done indeed...

Postby Moni » Mon May 19, 2003 9:31 am

... and as you can see: not sitting keyboardists = happy!

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Mon May 19, 2003 12:04 pm

Except, perhaps, Ms Marni Rice. She's not happy, she's mysterious.

A accordionist fatale.

And Merlin, I would say that you too are the wind beneath my wings, except that would lead to an awful lot of wind, and quite possibly some damage to our feathers. I will, however, attest that if loving you is wrong, I have no desire to be right.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Mon May 19, 2003 2:40 pm

I can't believe my dear melodica has been left out again.

royal

Postby royal » Mon May 19, 2003 4:14 pm

Doing a search for a good strap-on guitar image led me to the band Keytar and, more importantly, this image:

See, doesn't he look happy?

LngHrvWntrsDngr

Postby LngHrvWntrsDngr » Mon May 19, 2003 5:54 pm

it says they have a cd called no strings attached......but isnt that an nsync album? Dont ask me why i know that or think that.....cuz ill just tell u......my friends r crazy.......and *confession time* i used to listen to the local top 40 station........

Return to “Band Nerd!”