Practice Space

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

ptricky

Practice Space

Postby ptricky » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:26 pm

Hello, long-time reader, first-time poster.

My question is about band practice space in the Seattle area. My friends and I formed a band, wrote some songs, recorded a demo in my apartment, booked a show, and found a drummer. Now, we figure, is a good time to start practicing, with the drums, which means we need to move out of my apartment and into a place where we can turn up to 11, rock out, etc. We've looked at a couple of places, a sort of rehearsal hive on capitol hill and at Active Space, but neither seem entirely satisfactory. Does anyone have any experience with practice space around Seattle, that's affordable and accessible? Or some method that might attain the same?

bustedacres

Postby bustedacres » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:58 pm

seattle practice space can be hard to come by. we (the capillaries) have set up shop in a couple of different places, but the best space we've found is called avernus and is down by the stadiums. jodi is the name of the woman who runs it, and you can contact her at jodiopitz@yahoo.com.

the thing that's good about this place is that it's very secure, with a code door, a main door, and then the door to your space, and it's well air-conditioned/heated. it's also clean, which is of course a rarity. the prices are fair, particularly if you're splitting a space with someone. i recommend it. there's also not much trouble with excessive bleed from other rooms--there is bleed of other bands, of course, but it's not too terrible.

the other option is have your whole band rent a house to live in and use the basement as your practice space. if you can stand your band and if everyone can do that. that's the most economical way of doing it.

good luck!

Lobster

Practice space

Postby Lobster » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:11 pm

The Jambox in Lower Queen Anne might work, but for the $$$. You can check out www.thejambox (I think) or search jambox+seattle. Good luck!

ptricky

Postby ptricky » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:28 am

Thanks for your help, guys. I have heard nothing but good things about Avernus, but the unemployed among our ranks found it a little on the pricey side. We just put in for a space somewhere on queen anne (that I have yet to see), but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the jambox that Lobster mentioned.

The search for space has lead us to some, well, interesting places, where we met some very fascinating people. I'm almost sad to see it end. Now to start piecing together some sort of PA to use in practice out of spare parts. To the goodwill store!

Return to “Band Nerd!”