Tickling The Ivories

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Tickling The Ivories

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:03 pm

I'm in the market for a keyboard, and I've no idea what to buy/look for in this instrument. I'm hoping I can find something easy enough for a beginner, but has versatility and durability for a professional, so this investment isn't wasted down the road. Suggestions?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:15 pm

Good Gravy, that's a can of worms. We've spent more time, in the Long Winters, collectively, looking for the 'right' keyboard than trying to solve any other musical problem. If you want a thing for recording it's different than if you want a good piano, or something that plays well. The more versatile it is the less useful it turns out to be in our experience. Sean settled on the Nord Electric, but it's not cheap and it only does a few things well, like organ sounds. Chris Walla has a Nord and a Fender Rhodes, Scott Danbom broke down and bought a Nord but his main Piano is an old Yamaha that weighs six tons. I think the Wurlitzer is the best sounding little electric piano, but they're delicate. Stringfellow swears by his Kurtzweil, but it's heavy and has so many different sounds that it's easier to just hire the orchestra.

For synthy radness, I've been very happy with my Roland JP-8000, which has all the funky disco pre-sets for happy goths. You can still pick them up for cheap. It's useless in terms of sounding like either a piano or an organ, however.

In short, there is no keyboard that does everything. The more features that get loaded on the more the playability goes down to keep it inexpensive, or alternately it becomes a 5000 dollar coffin that you need an engineering degree just to turn on. You really need to decide the main thing you want it for, good piano or cool sounds, and choose accordingly.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:53 am

I'm (obviously) fairly new to the ins and outs of Keyboardiness...but you've definitely pointed me in some good directions. Thanks!

matthewsturm

Postby matthewsturm » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:25 pm

I goofed.
Last edited by matthewsturm on Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matthewsturm

Postby matthewsturm » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:25 pm

I would say it would depend on what you plan to use it for. If you just want something with a killer piano sound, go with a Yamaha P90, or a Kurzweil SP88X. Both of those have some decent samples of organ/strings/bass...the basic stuff. But their actual piano sounds are awesome. Another plus side is the fact that they both have weighted keys that give the feel of a real piano, they're lightweight, so if you're gigging, they're not a pain to travel with, and finally, they're both under a grand. The Kurz is a better price, but I like the Yamaha better.

If you're looking for a synth, Yamaha's MOTIF series stuff is awesome. Also, I'd agree that Roland syths are top notch.

I've been using a Yamaha P-90 for stage use over a year now, and it's been a workhorse. I've actually been traveling without a roadcase or gigbag for it, and just finally after a year and a half jammed one of the keys. Hope that helps a little more.

cheers
-matthew
www.matthewsturm.com

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:28 pm

I have to concur with the Yamaha P-90. I rented one to record my album with in January, and it's beautiful. It sounds great, and honestly, truely and completely has a great piano/string tone. I loved it. It's about $1500 Canadian to buy, 'though. :\

matthewsturm

Postby matthewsturm » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:54 am

I really don't know that I'm too thrilled with the string settings, but the rock piano is the closest thing I've found to the sound of a Baldwin grand. Plus those fully weighted keys really give your fingers a good workout.

cheers
-matthew
www.matthewsturm.com

Yarn

Postby Yarn » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:14 am

LoveSickJerk, a while ago I was also in the market for a keyboard, with basically the same desires as you, and a low budget. I took a real shot in the dark, didn't do enough research, and bought one after reading enough reviews to satisy me.

This is what I ended up buying: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--CASWK3000AD

And I got really lucky, it ended up being exactly what I wanted.

The downside was that it was really weak on the synth choices, but that was something I could live with.

The pianos sound very realistic, it has touch sensitive keys and all that jazz, and has a DSP button that allows you to make it resonate like a real, large piano/organ/whatever.

The 50 or so Drawbar Organs also sound very realistic. Anf then of course there are hundreds of other decent effects and drum beats and all that.

For the money, this was exactly what I could have hoped for.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:09 am

Check this place out for Wurlitzers, and more!

http://www.askpiano.com

Moni

Postby Moni » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:13 am

Or you can just get yourself that Bösendorfer grand piano you always wanted!

Or, even better, how about a Flemish harpsichord?...

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:58 am

Yarn, that really does look like pretty much what I wanted! And the price is pretty spot on!

John that link was...interesting! A several of those Wurlitzer links don't seem to work however.

Liz, I love the sound of a harpsichord!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Return to “Band Nerd!”