Guitar Nerdyness

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Holiday_Repeater

Guitar Nerdyness

Postby Holiday_Repeater » Fri May 16, 2003 8:44 am

Ok, weird question........

I'm looking for the distortion/effects recipe you guys used for the lead guitar on "Scared Straight"

It's that fat, steely-dan-kinda-sound that i'm lookin' for...

any help would be appreciated

-Nate Wells
Boston

p.s. The record is amazing

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri May 16, 2003 8:55 am

May I chime in here and ask what exactly is that weirdness-guitar-like noise at the beginning of Blanket Hog?

supersub

Postby supersub » Fri May 16, 2003 9:39 am

Further to previous enquiries made by my worthy compadres, I should like to know exactly what boxes of sonic trickery are wired in to Mr Roderick's pedalboard (Sonic Boom foto's). One looks like an Ibanez phaser. That's my first and last guess.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri May 16, 2003 11:31 pm

I can answer all three of these questions! Because I am the guitar player and they are guitar nerd questions! Hooray.

The Guitar on Scared Straight is played into a Fuzz box that Jon Auer had, like a Vox fuzz, but the real secret to the skronky sound is that we took a Wah-wah pedal and just set it somewhere halfway on, so it acted like a filter. Try it. Don't wah it, just move it slowly until it eq's the sound the way you want.

The guitar on blanket hog is one of those Line 6 delay modelers on the sample setting. I just played six notes and sampled it so it repeated, then played two more notes over the top and sampled those. It got messy sounding real quick.

My pedal board for live shows is always changing but right now it has, in order: Ibanez tube screamer, Rat, Voodoo lab Sparkle Drive, old Dod mono "stereo" chrous, Boss super phaser, dod sampler/delay, boss tremolo, boss chromatic tuner, all powered by a voodoo labs power supply and mounted on a burned-out old SKB pedal board that fried last year but still has a nice velcro surface.

The sparkle drive is the main distortion that I use and I put the other two distortions in front of it in the chain so that I can run them through the sparkle drive, which makes everything sound better. The rest of that stuff I throw on at different times depending on how creative I feel. Sometimes I'll go months without touching the phaser at all, but then some show will come along and I'll want to get all stoner and I need it there.

Holiday_Repeater

Postby Holiday_Repeater » Sat May 17, 2003 8:58 am

Thanks John, you rock....

Return to “Band Nerd!”