E-lectric guitar petals.

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Patr!ck

E-lectric guitar petals.

Postby Patr!ck » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:35 pm

There is no such thread where folks share what pedals they run their guitaring instruments through. This, I started one.

I've always liked Boss pedals. They look cool, they're tough and they have excellent, adjustable effects. I have the distortion Boss DS-1, an orange box with Tone, Distortion and Volume knobs. Just the two allow it to sound "beefy" as well as "whiny".

My grandmother bought me the cheapest pedal she could fine (I think), a Danelectro Fab Chorus pedal. As weak as it looks, it really sounds how I think a chorus pedal should sound. The knobs are something like Speed and Depth, and messing with them for 5 or so minutes got me the perfect sound I expected.

Those are the two I love, anybody got some stuff they'd like to share?

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:41 pm

I was actually going to start a thread like this tonight, then decided to wait until I went down and checked out all the models and what not.

I ended up buying a modded Boss Distorion DS-1 on eBay that just arrived today. I find it quiet, and thin sounding for distortion.... but it sounds much better when played through an amp's clean setting. I'll have to get a real amp one of these days where I have a foot pedal that can switch between clean and dirty. As it stands, I'm so far unimpressed with the DS-1 Pedal Boutique mod...but I'll play with it more this weekend and see if I come around.

I've also been running a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive pedal. Although it's a bass guitar pedal, it has some excellent, fuzzy overdrive on the guitar that I love. Much more so than the DS, anyhow.

I've got a DOD FX82 Bass Compressor I use when I play bass. It's nuisances are subtle, but there.... I only paid $20 for it, so whatever.

Boss BF-2 Flanger. For when you want to sound like you're underwater. If you've ever heard the Smashing Pumpkins' Thru The Eyes of Ruby, you'll know the sound. If you haven't, you're missing out on an amazing song. So there.

Boss DD-5 Digital Delay. Always wanted one, but I have a hard time forking out triple figures for a pedal. So glad I did, because I love this pedal big. On the lower settings, it gives it a chorus-esque effect, filling out your sound. On the higher settings, some awesome spacey sounds. I could play with this pedal for hours -- and I do!

Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner. For years, I've been using the Korg GA-20 tuner, which isn't a pedal, and doesn't have any output jack... so kind of annoying. It's treated me well, but for gigging and jamming with other people, it just got cumbersome. Had to upgrade to this pedal, which has worked fantastically, and also doubles as a cut-off pedal.

Somewhere, my brother's Envelope Filter, Wah Pedal, and Space Station are kicking around. Oh, and I also use his Aria Ultrametal AUM-1. Noisy as shit, but the gain/distortion on it is superb. As soon as you stop playing, though.... HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. :(

I'm also looking into maybe buying a Jekyll and Hyde pedal from a buddy of mine. Anyone have any experience with one of these?
Last edited by sour29 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

cam_rock

Postby cam_rock » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:51 pm

BOSS TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver (for the extra distortion boost when needed)
BOSS TR-3 Tremelo
BOSS DD6 Digital Delay, oh how I wish they still made the DD5 with the tap tempo, it made life so much easier
IBANEZ TS7 Tube Screamer, since I started using it, has really transformed my sound into a new world. Love it!
Electro-Harmoinx Micro-Synth, limited use, nice when used right

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:37 am

cam_rock wrote:IBANEZ TS7 Tube Screamer, since I started using it, has really transformed my sound into a new world. Love it!
I've read the Jekyll and Hyde pedals use the same chips as the TS7, and the sounds are comparable. I know I should just go out and get the TS7, but I'm trying to buy used as much as often, and save $20-$50 where I can and you don't see many used TS7's floating around.

EDIT: sorry cam_rock. Looks like I have the DD-5. Picked it up at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago. You'll be sad to hear I haven't even learned about this tap tempo thing yet. I'm putting it to waste! :O

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:48 am

That Boss OBD 3 is indeed an awesome pedal. My friend run it through a Crate something-or-another and it sounds superb. Mostly used for intros and mid song bass solos (with us).

berkstin

Postby berkstin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:06 pm

You know, I've never really owned any cool pedals. I still have this old Korg ToneWorks multi-effects unit that's mildly good - it has an expression pedal, built-in chromatic tuner, etc. But noisy and I've never had much use for comb filters and that kind stuff.

Currently all I have is a Fender tuner pedal that came with my Tele Deluxe, and a Vox passive volume pedal that I would use with my eBow if I ever used my eBow.

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 60 amp that has sort of an analog modeling...thing. So I can get pretty much any distortion or overdrive I want, and it's got good 'verb, so...

About the only thing I'm drooling on now are these hardcore loop/echo pedals that are out there, like this one:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-LIN-DL4.html

which is used by Damien Rice and Jeff Klein, among others, and this one:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-AKA-E2.html

which is used by KT Tunstall...

Return to “Band Nerd!”