Talk about your Guitar here.

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Talk about your Guitar here.

Postby sour29 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:53 am

We have threads for amps, pedals, and tabs ... but what about the axe itself, man? Let's talk.

I have too many guitars right now. My newest is the Ibanez Artcore AF75 in blue, as pictured in the Recent Purchases thread. I changed the strings shortly after getting the guitar (after all, who likes stock strings?) to the recommended .10 gauge. Immediately, I started having problems. The D-string sounded like it was muted, some of the higher frets (around 10-15) had a buzz, and it just wasn't as lively as I was expecting. Although I was a little anxious about switching gauges (would .11's fit in the nut? would they warp the bow of the neck? etc), I tried a pack of .11's on it last week, and my love for my guitar has renewed again. Anyone have any experience with flatwound strings? That was another recommendation given for this guitar.

I mostly use D'Addario strings for electric guitars. They seem to work out for me OK. On my six-string acoustic, I use Clapton's Choice Martins, which have a great sound to them -- especially the first couple of weeks those suckers are on. Martin medium-lights on my 12-string acoustic usually gets the job done. Both my acoustic guitars are Yamahas, and I love them both to death. I've tried picking up bigger "names" in guitar stores, but I don't like their sounds as much as the cheaper Yamahas.

I also just got a Epiphone Viola bass, which is a Hoffner knock-off, but with really quite excellent sound. It's a HUGE upgrade from the Squire I'd been playing. Only downside -- rather than pick-up selectors, it uses individual volume tones for each of the two pick-ups, plus the master volume. No quick tone-changes! Alas!

I also have an electric Yamaha guitar I picked up at a pawn shop. I whammy'ed too hard, and it popped out the bridge about 8 years ago. I have no idea how to get that stuff back in, and a handy-man friend of mine tried. It's better than it was, but still needs mucho work. As such, it will NOT stay in tune for more than a couple of chords without "warming up" for 45-minutes to an hour before hand. Also, I lost the lock-in tuning pieces. Apparently they're great heavy metal guitars, but I'm not too big into heavy metal. I'll probably sell it as is and let someone who knows what they're doing put some work into it. I know it has the potential to be a good guitar! :)

All my pick-ups are stock, because I've been too cheap thus far to switch any of them. As I said in another thread, I'm mostly an acoustic guy and haven't had any need to. A friend of mine who worked in the repair department of Steve's music popped in a couple of pick-ups into the sound hole of my acoustics... the 12-string one still works excellently, but the 6-string one needs to be re-soldered.

So, tell me about your guitars! Pick-ups, tuners, strings, guitars, custom paint jobs...whatever! I'll edit this post with model numbers later, but right now, I have to quickly shower and head out to work! Rock on, fellow band nerds!
Last edited by sour29 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:08 pm

I've got a pair... one I love and one I have.

My accoustic is beloved. I played every affordable accoustic in Iowa City before finding it in a hole in the wall shop. It is a Sunlite 2200, and is basically a Martin knock-off. I thought they just made drums. It sounds phenomenal, and I was pleasantly suprised to find it had stayed in perfect tune after sitting for a month during when we moved to Omaha. I'll put it up against the 1000+ crowd.

My electric was an unplanned guitar. It is a Squier Strat, and my friend sold it to me with a Marshall practice amp for $50 when he moved to Seattle. We were having a final beer at the Wig 'n Pen and he was talking about selling most of his stuff... offered me the guitar. I hadn't planned on getting an electric for a while (I was still in the raw stages of learning) but I figured for $50 what the hell. It's fun to play, and I'm not good enough to take advantage of something good yet, so I enjoy it. It was good enough for my first "gig"... playing Take Me Out to the Ballgame at the last Hawkeye Baseball game I ever worked. Wasn't afraid to add a solo in there, either. One day I will be upgrading, but for now it keeps me company. I have also noticed that when there is a 7-month old in the house, the electric guitar playing doesn't happen near as much.

cam_rock

Postby cam_rock » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:14 pm

I for one like these threads. Right on, guys!

I have a few guitars.

My baby, the Gibson ES-335. Say what you will about newer Gibsons, but I love this guitar. I got it in January of 2006 before they jacked up the prices another $200. I put Thomastik-Infeld Heavy Bottom strings on it usually, although I've been burning through a box of DR's I bought a while back. This purchase was inspired by John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants.

This guitar was a part of one of my mega fanboy LW's moments: I brought it with me per Jonathan's request to the Doug Fir last time they played. I set it up as another back up to the guitar line up. As John is heading out on stage, he turns to me and says, "Bring the 335 out for Pushover." So, here's John rocking it from the Doug Fir show on April 13:

I thought that was pretty cool.

The other is a G&L ASAT Bluesboy Tribute (both of these I mentioned in the Amp thread). This has been a fantastic guitar. It was a replacement for an Epiphone Les Paul '56 Goldtop that got stolen (that was a fun guitar too). With the 335, I feel like I need to be really careful with it when I'm playing, with the G&L, I can rock out on it pretty relentlessly and it stays in tune. That, and with the hollowbody, it gets feedback tone that's just great. The humbucker in the neck delivers a fantastic sound too. If you're looking for a good mid-level instrument, you can't go wrong with G&L. Jonathan plays an ASAT (not sure which model) as well. He also played my guitar for a song or two at the Showbox show April 14 (don't have a picture of this one, unfortunately).

Here's me playing this one:

I also have a Danelectro U-2 that sits unused (as it's slowly fallen apart since day 1), and a lovely Hohner acoustic (that's green!) that also never gets played.

Hope my longwindedness and the pictures are all right! Look forward to reading some others...

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:13 am

my guitar rocks. its a bridgecraft i got it off of ebay for thirty bucks. once someone told me it was the best guitar sound coming from me they ever heard. its pink. it has a homemade guitar strap with john written on it, with a bow tie on it. there are pink hearts, wizard of oz stickers pink flamingos feminist stickers (marriage? no thanks, i cant mate in captivity) pictures of lipsticks shoes a pic of courtney love, sauce hopper and satinnlace02, fang brand clothing line sticker, fairies bugs butterflies, its awesome!!!! i played the high dive and it kicked ass. i learned teen spirit, s o now i have the pick of destiny, and i shall win open mic! wooop!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:10 am

cam_rock wrote:This guitar was a part of one of my mega fanboy LW's moments: I brought it with me per Jonathan's request to the Doug Fir last time they played. I set it up as another back up to the guitar line up. As John is heading out on stage, he turns to me and says, "Bring the 335 out for Pushover."
This might be one of my favourite Long Winters stories of all time. I shouldn't have read it right before going to bed last night, because I had a dream that John was going to play my guitar for one song, but then I got kicked out of the venue and they wouldn't let me back in to see it. Haha. :S

berkstin

Postby berkstin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:19 pm

My lineup-

My main (and, honestly, my only "good") axe is a reissue (Mex-made) '72 Fender Tele Deluxe, black (natch) - this is the Keef model, 2 humbuckers, amp knobs, fat strat neck. I was always pretty staunchly anti-Fender (for myself, not as a political statement), but the first time I touched the neck on one of these, had to have it. Sounds nasty as hell (in the best way) and plays super-easy. http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt ... -black.jpg

My main acoustic is an Ibanez AEF30 - nice tone, nice action, has both 1/4" and XLR outs, looks kind of hair-metal, but whatever I dig it- http://www.national-music.com/images/br ... 30etbk.jpg

Ibanez Jet King 1 - this one was a great buy for $200. Sort of a Danelectro-style body with a faux-aluminum pickguard, for that 60's pawnshop look. But a cool axe - has the thin Ibanez neck, coil-taps on the humbuckers, a nice transparent butterscotch finish (which is very close to my beloved Longhorn burnt orange). I had to replace the tuners on this, as they were way too pawnshoppy. The long-term plan is to replace the electronics in this, maybe throw some Seymours in there, change the coil taps to phase shifters or somethin'... http://www.cierawebdesign.com/offsite_i ... Jtk1bt.jpg

First Act Paul Westerberg signature model: again, super deal - $90 new!!! And seriously, you'd be amazed how nice this axe is for the price. It's actually the one I find myself most often noodling on around the house... http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 ... AA280_.jpg

Aaaaand, I also have some stuff I don't play much - another cheapie First Act LP copy that I use for open tunings, a Schecter C1 that I hate for no good reason, a beater Washburn D10 acoustic, a little Washburn Rover travller acoustic, and my old warhorse, a Peavey Tracer that has completely fallen apart and was my sole axe for the first half of the 90's...

kyle_s9

Postby kyle_s9 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:41 am

berkstin

Postby berkstin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:16 pm

Nice. A good friend of mine who's a singer/songwriter in Austin has had one of these for years and it's a solid axe - he beats the crap out of that thing, and it keeps its tune and even sounds nice enough for recordings (both using the onboard electronics and with a mic)

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 pm

i just got (a year ago) a Breedlove AC25/SR plus. sounds great.Image
Last edited by h4ck on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:39 am

Fender Squire Telecaster.

I bought it and an amp (now deceased) from the girl in the dorm next to mine in 1987 for $150.

It's yellow, covered in stickers, hums in front of amps and the tone knob also seems to control the volume.

I love my guitar. It is powered by rust and love.

gratchen
Current Heading: South

Re: Talk about your Guitar here.

Postby gratchen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:32 am

"I'd like to see you out one night
Dressed up like a rock-n-roll star
Straight out of some strange magazine
Then I know I'd love you
But if I see you out somewhere
You might think THAT I don't care

'Cause I love my guitar
I love my guitar.."

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:59 am

My electric guitars are an Epiphone SG Standard and a Mexican Fender Telecaster Standard. They go wheedle wheedle, and if I stomp on the pedals they go rawr-rawr-rawr!

My acoustic is a Glen Burton something-something, made in China. It has electronics in it and it's a cherryburst color with a deep ass cutaway on the bottom. I got it at some shop on Hollywood Blvd. in the summer of 2007 for a hundred dollars after haggling with the the guy working there all afternoon as I walked up and down the street. On the flight home I jammed all my stuff in my suitcase and brought the guitar as my carry-on.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 am

any guitar that goes rawr-rawr-rawr must be a great guitar

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Oh, did I mention my friend who is studying to be a luthier is making me my very own customer acoustic guitar to my specs? It's almost done!
Does this picture word? Stolen from Facebook...

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:13 am

So what were your specs?

Return to “Band Nerd!”