Amp and Pedal Settings

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

I.T.

Amp and Pedal Settings

Postby I.T. » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:59 pm

John, please tell us about your amp and pedal settings. Where do you normally have the volume set on your Deluxe Reverb? Do you keep the guitar's volume and tone controls on 10 most of the time? Also, what brand/gauge strings do you use, and how often do you change them? Thanks!

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:24 am

This is pretty nerdy, even for this nerdy part of a nerdy board, but OK.

I set the treble and bass on the amp at about 6 and a half-- varying depending on the room-- and turn the amp volume down to 3, reverb at 2, mids at five or lower. I keep my volume and tone turned up all the way on the guitar, except when I turn the volume all the way off as an effect. I've never intentionally touched a tone knob.

Strings are D'Addario 10s or 11s-- I switch gauges every six months or so and never notice an intonation problem-- and lately I've been using Gibson branded strings. If I go more than three shows without changing strings I'm risking a break, so I usually change them after two or three shows. Around the house I only change strings when they get too rusty to play.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:18 am

Eddie Van Halen said something like "I don't even know what the hell that tone knob is for. I just turned it all the way up and played."

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:45 am

John wrote:I keep my volume and tone turned up all the way on the guitar, except when I turn the volume all the way off as an effect.

am I totally dumb when I think that the effect is that we don't hear anything? which could be done by just not playing?

this guitar playing thing is way over my head.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:16 pm

Less hum and no feedback with the volume turned all the way down, Lies'. He may also be considering the actual act of lowering the volume the effect (ie. a fade out?).

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:35 pm

Yes, exactly, a kind of "zip" of the volume off, more organic with no click at the end. It sounds great with a delay.

I talk to guitar dudes all the time and they often say they "just roll a little bit of the tone off..." to mellow out their sound. I look at them and say, "Really? You use your tone knob? Weird."

I.T.

Postby I.T. » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 am

Thanks for the info John. Volume at 3 is pretty quiet and clean on a Deluxe Reverb. I'm surprised that you don't adhere to the infamous Spinal Tap face melt settings.

A few years ago, someone showed me a little trick that worked especially well for recording a Gibson SG through a Deluxe Reverb. Using the bridge pickup, roll the guitar's volume and tone knobs down to 0. On the amp, set the volume above 4 and crank the treble to 9 or 10. Gradually bring up the volume and tone knobs on the guitar just until you have a nice balanced tone happening and you should be rewarded with some glorious tube overdrive at a reasonable volume.

One of the classic Gibson 'effects' involves turning the neck pickup volume knob down to 0. Leave the bridge pickup volume at 10 and vigorously toggle back and forth between pickups. The resulting stutter effect is very amusing.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks for this little lesson guys, I'm glad that's cleared up, it was bugging me.

Return to “Band Nerd!”