the long winters vs. drum machines

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

uncletupelo

the long winters vs. drum machines

Postby uncletupelo » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:37 pm

Is it just me, or are there some drum machine things going on on the first record? (i.e. Mimi). Is that a drum machine or some sort of sample that Mr. Walla and Mr. Roderick used?

If it's a drum machine, I'm thinking of getting one and I'd like to know what they used. I liked the organic feeling of the sample on Mimi.

Harry Kellerman

Postby Harry Kellerman » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:45 pm

it's probably not what they used, but i reccomend downloading/buying (whichever you want to do, it's not that expensicve) fruity loops. it's a drum machine program that has a vast array of sampling capabilities, effects, and built in patches (add a wave editing program and the free drumsynth program and you're set).

it works fine for recording and if you have a laptop you can use it live, though you may want to get a 1/4" input/output soundcard for that.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:00 pm

ooo ooo does this mean we get to talk about optigan's again? please do, I love the optigan talk... (I'm totally serious)

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:05 pm

I'm with you on that one, Betty. What intrigues me most is that image of Chris Walla climbing physically inside the back of an Optigan.
We are only made to guess what that looks like, Sean actually knows...

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:04 pm

Yes. I really wish there was a nice grainy, black-and-white film about the making of TWYCDIH. It would have all the makings of fabulous documentary.

In fact, hows about getting someone to follow the making of the next album? And invite Jay Bennet to guest on a track or two.

Jeff Tweedy eat your heart out.

(note: I love wilco and jeff tweedy, but...you know....puking after a little disagreement? meh.)

uncletupelo

Postby uncletupelo » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:59 am

Wow! That Optigan thing sounds crazy. I must add that to my list of things to look for when I'm at thrift stores/garage sales.

And hey... leave Mr. Tweedy alone. He's got migrane problems (at least that's what he said.....)

Endo23

I could be wrong...

Postby Endo23 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:54 pm

...but most of the drum machine-type beats on TWYCDIH sound more like samples being triggered than an actual drum machine.

If you like the "organic" sound, don't get a drum machine, get a sampler. Then you can load samples of real kits and sequence them into whatever type of beat you desire. Most affordable drum machines (BOSS Dr. Rhythms, for example) have cheesy sounds, in my experience. Nothing beats pulling a drum break of an old slab of vinyl and putting those snares and kicks back together the way you want 'em.

If you have a computer, software like Fruity Loops (or Reason, if you have a little more cashola on hand) are great. I use Reason and ReCycle and the possibilities are pretty much endless.

Return to “Band Nerd!”