fuzzy blue diamonds sound

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

junkyardtodd

fuzzy blue diamonds sound

Postby junkyardtodd » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:23 am

gtr geek alert!!

What amp are you using on Blue Diamonds/ n when you get to the solo, did you just step on a fuzz box, or was that a later part with a differant setup?

i am only asking so that i can steal your tone, n then your identity, i will be playing clubs in CLE n telling people that i am YOU

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:39 pm

OK, this is super nerdy: The amp was a super-broken '50's Gretsch practice amp, about five watts, with the single volume knob cranked. I played a Les Paul. Both the guitar and amp belong to Ken Stringfellow.

The secret is that the amp is broken and sounds totally terrible. Turned all the way up it sounded even worse.

So... break your amps.

junkyardtodd

Postby junkyardtodd » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:49 am

ok, i've got a '50's magnatone practice amp, that i use on EVERYTHING (well, almost everything) usually with a fuzz box in front. So, i am going to try throwing it around the room a few times before the next time i use it, n then skip the fuzzbox.
The first really fuzzy gtr on record (according to gtr player) is on 'the rock and roll trio's' version of 'train kept a rollin'. The guitar player said that on the way to the studio, the amp got dropped, which knocked a power tube loose, n gave them that fuzzy sound. U could just wiggle the tube loose, but i think it would be more fun to drop the amp a couple times...

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:53 pm

This amp smoked and smelled like plastic pancakes. I definitely think your Magnatone has the right potential.

Return to “Band Nerd!”