beginner guitar

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:38 pm

Well the car is back, but the guitar, case, amp and (I just remembered) two effects pedals, are not. Our renter's insurance supposedly covers these things, but with a $500 deductible, well, if I could afford that I could afford to go buy a new guitar.

junkyardtodd

Postby junkyardtodd » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:13 am

wow, you COULD say 'that sucks', but I would personally take that as an engraved invitation from Jesus to go guitar shopping!

Rob

Screaming Rickenbacker Deal

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:38 pm

Howdy,

I'm new to the board, and was trolling for information on getting good tones out of my new Rickenbacker (I love the tone on songs like Shapes) when I saw this post from anthropomorphizing_kitty about getting a guitar stolen, and I just had to commiserate.

A week ago I got both my electric guitars and a slew of effects pedals stolen out of my (I know, I know) unlocked car--a loss of almost $3000. Why are so many of us musicians burdened with the responsibility of carting around expensive equipment in cars, but not given the brains to remember to lock them?

I don't know if you're aware of this already, but you can claim full retail price for your equipment, which I thought might put the price above the $500 deductible.

This is probably out of your price range, but there's a 1999 Rickenbacker 330 on sale in the Stranger classifieds for $695 (206-940-5674), which is a sweet deal if it's in good condition. I just bought one from a student of mine who wanted to upgrade to a different model and (I suspect) pitied his knuckleheaded guitar teacher. I wouldn't recommend buying one just because you're a Long Winters fan, but they really are great guitars if you like that gleaming tone.

I've had four guitars stolen on Queen Anne Hill. Somewhere deep underground there's a temperature-controlled vault guarded by an mute albino midget, and someday while I'm walking to the Five Spot someone will tap me on the shoulder, lead me to a manhole cover, and after riding down the elevator and giving the midget the secret handshake, I'll get to visit my Stratocaster (my first electric), scuffed up Les Paul, bumper-sticker covered Rickenbacker a friend gave me when I moved to Seattle, the new Jay Turser I bought a few months ago....

I wonder what evil music they've been forced to produce since I lost them. Or maybe they refuse to play, breaking a string whenever there's someone listening. Or maybe they're slowly defrosting the hearts of the thieves who took them, coaxing them toward sad country songs about breaking musicians' hearts by stealing their guitars.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:19 am

Or maybe they're slowly defrosting the hearts of the thieves who took them, coaxing them toward sad country songs about breaking musicians' hearts by stealing their guitars.

We can only hope. Actually what I believe to be most likely true is that they ended up in a pawn shop somewhere where some high school kids in a punk band picked them up and play them in their basement.
Oh, and $500 was about the retail price for what was stolen. It was a Squire telecaster, a danelectro overdrive pedal and a Peavey practice amp. You wanna know the really sad part? I was so broke when I got that guitar that I actually paid for it by selling my first guitar (a Peavey Raptor) and money I'd saved up in a COIN JAR over about 5 years.

junkyardtodd

Postby junkyardtodd » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:23 pm

dude, i never use my danelctro daddy-o, send me yer address n i'll ship it off to ya! (sorry, don't have any spare guitars)

junkyardtodd@core.com

WeeMan

Postby WeeMan » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:41 pm

my next guitar will either be a Rickenbacker 330, a Godin SD or a Godin Montreal, or an Ibanez Jet King. Rickenbackers are sweet guitars though.

Return to “Band Nerd!”