Midi Controller ?!

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

carlitos

Midi Controller ?!

Postby carlitos » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:48 pm

Im looking at getting a midi controller that is compact and affordable... I'm leaning towards the M-Audio Oxygen8; any advice out there?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:36 am

I've seen some studio-dudes using those and they seemed happy with them. Just make sure the octave range is set up the way you like. I hate those two-octave midi controllers that start and end on C.

the new math

Postby the new math » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:22 am

i have an oxygen 8 (25 keys), which is a nice compact keyboard, but IMO seems better suited to recording instead of performing. (then again, sean performed a song the other night with a tiny casio keyboard, so what do I know?) i've never tried it with a midi brain though, i've only used it on the computer with Reason.

Endo23

Postby Endo23 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:51 pm

i hear the Oxygen is pretty solid... the thing to consider is the size contraint... because it's only a two-octave range or so, you'll have to do a lot of toggling to get around the keyboard (pressing the octave up/down button). This may not seem like a big deal, but it's something to think about. If you're working with samples, it can be very annoying not to have all of the slices right in front of you. Also, if you want to play anything live, it's troublesome. For the same price, you may be able to get a bigger octave range (49 keys is good) but less twisty knobs. I've got the twisty knobs myself, and find them relatively useless... setting them up to control all the various functions in a software program like Reason is a headache, so I rarely bother. My vote would be for keys over switches and knobs.

I think mine is a Keystation 49. May be the same company as the Oxygen, now that I think of it. But look around for deals online...

carlitos

Postby carlitos » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:53 pm

Thanks for the input.

Id be using it mainly for Reason. I need to find a place with a good return policy and just check a couple different ones out, methinks...

Dr. Confusion

A Vote for the Edirol,

Postby Dr. Confusion » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:16 am

I don't use reason, so I can't vouch for that application but, I would recommend that you take a look at this:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcra30.html

i've got one and I appreciate the extra few keys, and all the sliders and knobs. it's not *too* expensive imho.

Endo23

Postby Endo23 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:18 am

Ooh! Those templates are nice... Seriously, I could something like that for Reason.

Return to “Band Nerd!”