Hi! I have a wurlitzer question...

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

toysinger

Hi! I have a wurlitzer question...

Postby toysinger » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:34 pm

Hey! I have a gear question, and I noticed that this site is full of "band nerd" questions. Since I am a Long Winters fan, I thought I'd ask you nice folks! Mine is about where to find some gear. I'm going to coming to Seattle (From my home in Canada) and I really really really want to try and find a wurlitzer electric piano. Since pretty much the first sound on the record is a wurly, I thought maybe John might know, or anybody. You see, our city is pretty small compared to Seattle and there are NONE here. Anyway, if anybody knows a few places to look or some classified adds I could check, I'd be forever grateful.

Oh, and I'd rather not get one off the internet site un-seen, so I'd prefer a store where I could try it out. If it's a website, though, that's okay.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:32 am

Check out the Seattle Times for local classifieds.

toysinger

Postby toysinger » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:50 pm

Thanks! I realized last night that the keys at the biginning of Blue diamonds is probably a rhodes, but I still want a wurlitzer. I'll check out that site.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:24 pm

The Wurlitzer is the most awesome of the awesomest, and Seattle is a great place to find one if the stars are aligned in your favor. They are really unpredictable pianos, however, so I would caution against buying one sight unseen. The Trading Musician in the University District usually has one of the best selections of Wurlitzers around, although sometimes they have none, so that's where I'd start. They overprice them, of course, so you should talk them down. The student models are blonde in color and often have a speaker cabinet that comes with, but these don't have tremolo. The conventional wisdom is that the blonde ones DO have the tremolo circutry, but that it's bypassed. Supposedly you can unbypass it.

...and so on...

Nerds!

toysinger

Postby toysinger » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:00 pm

Hey, thanks for the tip! I agree about the whole sight un-seen thing. It's scary, considering if I bought one and it sucked, there's no way I could afford another one. I'd just have a paper weight. If I find one, I will bring the total number of wurlitzers in our city to a whopping TWO!!! (At least as far as I know.

Well, the call has been put out. If anybody sees one (Who lives in Seattle) You could post it here!

grantbarsuk

Postby grantbarsuk » Tue May 04, 2004 2:11 pm

I don't check this board very often, but I was in Guitarville about 2 weeks ago. It's not my favorite music place in Seattle. None the less, they did have a Wurlitzer for a decent price (though I forget it right now). The only downside was that the legs has been artifically extended so you could play it standing up. Someone had done this by WELDING some leg extenders on the original legs... weak!

Their website is confusing, but here's their contact info:

http://www.guitarville.com/contactus.asp

Hope this helps!

Return to “Band Nerd!”