guitar tabs

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

guitar tabs

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:39 pm

could i possibly get some guitar tabs for any long winters song? or a link or something? i only know scent of lime on guitar and i would like to know more. thanks, i love you all

agnew
Ombudsman

Postby agnew » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:22 am

As far as I know no one in the band has ever written tabulature for any song. If anyone has done the TAB on any Long Winters' music they would be welcome to post it here. John has indicated he would correct any TAB that someone attempted. And if there's enough demand...

I know many of the new songs are played with a capo. And Hater High uses an open tuning.

inverted/converted

Re: guitar tabs

Postby inverted/converted » Sat May 03, 2003 8:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:could i possibly get some guitar tabs for any long winters song? or a link or something? i only know scent of lime on guitar and i would like to know more. thanks, i love you all

Neat, could you post the tab for scent of lime?

-Yinnia

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Sat May 03, 2003 9:48 pm

The Unsinkable Dan Cohen (profile) recently posted the tab for "It'll Be a Breeze" (which has been vetted by Cap'n John).

FWIW, I would love to add a tab section to the site, so please pass it along if anyone stumbles across any.

trashcan_afterthought

Postby trashcan_afterthought » Tue May 06, 2003 7:15 pm

yeah i know "scent of lime" and "carparts", i can type them out and email them to someone

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Tue May 06, 2003 7:23 pm

yeah we all care about guitar tabs, yeah, ya' know?

I mean, bass, pfft; what a weak instrument. Who needs tabs for the bass? I mean, who even plays bass anymore? I mean, shit, they've got those "fancy-dancy" bass machines; bassist are SOOO 20th century.

....I need my bass tabs dammit :_(....

I don't wanna play Evil Ways all the damn time.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Thu May 08, 2003 7:24 am

is there some sort of freeware program that will publish tabs? i would be willing to put forth my efforts towards interpreting some songs but i don't want to be typing dashes and numbers all day.

LngHrvWntrsDngr

Postby LngHrvWntrsDngr » Thu May 08, 2003 5:17 pm

my guitar teacher transcribed unsalted butter for me. one day.....when i dont have any ridiculously large projects due ill post it...if i posess enough knowlage to do so...

Dan
Mod Emeritus

Postby Dan » Thu May 08, 2003 7:13 pm

Aw, crap. I should probably chime in here, days after the fact, just to state that the inaccuracies in that version of the tab are many. Check the new, updated, and to the best of my knowledge, basically correct version here. (Note: does not actually sound best in open tuning. Have no idea why I wrote that.)

Here's a thought, while we're on the topic: I'm assuming that we have a fair assortment of guitar players of vastly different talent levels here (I would peg myself squarely in the lower ranges of any such assessment). It's entirely possible to create tablature by a collaborative effort. If someone comes up with what they think is a basic series of chords, the rest of us can try our hand at it and see if it sounds good; even if someone can just get a verse down, there are others here who might be able to fill in the blanks. So if you've got a tab in progress, by all means, let's have it. As agnew points out, the inestimable help of Mr. Roderick is available, and John certainly seems super-amenable to the idea of assistance, which is a rare and worthwhile privilege to exploit.

anthropomorphizing_kitty

Postby anthropomorphizing_kitty » Fri May 16, 2003 7:35 am

to answer my own question, i guess there is some freeware tab creation software. once i test some of it out i'll post links. hey i'm doing an open mic in a couple weeks and would love to do a LW cover, probably one of the slower songs. so if anyone could just tell me the basic chord progression i could probably figure out the rest. i'd love to know something like scent of lime, it'll be a breeze, stupid, cinnamon or anything else someone might know offhand.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri May 16, 2003 11:39 pm

It'll be a breeze is easy just G, Am, C and then back again with a D thrown in on the chorus. The bridge is Em Am G, Em Am C

Cinnamon is really easy, although I play it with a Capo on the first fret. So to play along with the record everything is a sharp. G D C through the whole song with an Em in the second and last chorus.

And new girl is C G F throughout.

those are the simple ones

trashcan_afterthought

Postby trashcan_afterthought » Sat May 17, 2003 1:03 pm

well here is carparts (my version, at least):

F/E-[033xxx]

verse: D-A-E-D (he might do an E7 instead of the E)
chorus: F-Am-G-F
bridge part- F-F/E-G-F

in the 2nd and 3rd choruses the endings are different
do the regular chorus progression twice then:
G-F-Am-G-F-G-F

the keyboard/guitar/whatever middle thing is pretty much just
picking off the verse chords

thats about it...if im wrong please correct me. there are other guitar parts playing but i just put up the basic chord progression. byebye

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sat May 17, 2003 5:54 pm

Good, except the bridge part is actually F F/E G/C F

The G/C is [3 3 2 0 0 0]

word

trashcan_afterthought

Postby trashcan_afterthought » Sun May 18, 2003 2:33 pm

this is my shot at mimi:

3/4 beat
verse: Am-C-Am-G-Fmaj7-C-G-Fmaj7
chorus: C-G-Am-F 3x then C-G-Em-Fmaj7

im not all too sure about the chorus tho

trashcan_afterthought

Postby trashcan_afterthought » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:03 pm

oh yeah, put a capo on the first fret to play along with the cd. i know the chorus is very very wrong

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:15 pm

that Mimi is actually really close. All those Fmaj7ths are really just F's though. I'm not even sure if I could play an Fmaj7

the chorus is C G Am C C G C F with the second and fourth C's featuring walk downs from C to A.

Right on.

Damien_82

Postby Damien_82 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:35 am

Scent of Lime, please.

trashcan_afterthought

Postby trashcan_afterthought » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:31 am

basically the verse is E-A.
ummm the pre-chorus bit is C#m-?-B-F#
chorus is F#-E-B-A
then the last A goes to a D and then G-E-B-A-D

did that make sense? that question mark in the prechorus is a chord i have yet to figure out. byebyes. any help?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:07 pm

The E to A verse is correct. Here's how: E chord and then add a pinky on the b string at the 4th fret d#, then the middle finger moves from its place in the e chord to the f# on the low e string. And the a is really an a maj 7.

the next part's harder.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:41 pm

While we're doing this, can I request the little diddly things at the beginning of Cinnamon? I thought I saw what you were playing at the Croc, but I got home and found out I was really wrong.

Return to “Band Nerd!”