guitar tabs

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: guitar tabs

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:10 pm

John wrote:In fact, the only reason we learned it is that Liesbeth said she expected to hear it when we came to Europe.

and it was most appreciated, especially since I didn't actually expect it to happen whatsoever.

that Blanket Hog story is interesting. I've always wondered what came into being first, the piano part or the guitar part... my guess was piano which was clearly wrong. A little off-topic, but I somehow often think that Blanket Hog is on The Worst You Can Do is Harm, rather than on Pretend to Fall. I guess that segue from intro to piano to guitar somehow feels more like the stuff on the first album, but perhaps this is just me.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:01 pm

It was actually the very last song we recorded for Pretend to Fall, and also the only one that Chris Walla didn't track the basics. Or, another way of putting it is that it's the only song completely tracked by Ken. Furthermore, two of the string players were friends of mine from high school in Anchorage. And furthermore I played the song at Sean Nelson's wedding and set my guitar on fire, the only time I've ever set a guitar on fire. Also, the first half of the song is completely in mono, and only becomes stereo at the second half, which I spontaneously decided to do during mastering. So no one ever heard it go from mono to stereo until I came back from mastering with the finished record.

We played the song every night on our first few tours, but quit doing that after Nora became our most guitarded song.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:46 am

Is that "Shanty Town" the Desmond Dekker one?

Him a-root, him a-loot, him a-steal in shanty tow-hown?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:20 pm

Grant, have you not heard the first Long Winters album? We should get you a copy.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:24 am

Heheh - you know, I haven't. I've heard most of what's on it as singles or mp3s or in friends' cars. But never as an *album*.

Desmond Dekker, on the other hand...

Intrpdtrvlr

Postby Intrpdtrvlr » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:55 pm

I came here just to say how much I love the nuances of John's playing. Sure, you can read the "chords" to Teaspoon but it doesn't capture the accent notes, the groove, and the little voicings that give it such character.
The verse riff is just awesome.

And I can't play it at all. Ha.

I couldn't find any real "tab" for Teaspoon. Anyone working on it?

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:17 am

Intrpdtrvlr wrote:I couldn't find any real "tab" for Teaspoon. Anyone working on it?

I apparently cannot post search results, but if you go to the top of this page, right next to the "reply" button, there's the "search this topic"-function. That should help, methinks?

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Intrpdtrvlr wrote:I came here just to say how much I love the nuances of John's playing. Sure, you can read the "chords" to Teaspoon but it doesn't capture the accent notes, the groove, and the little voicings that give it such character.
The verse riff is just awesome.

And I can't play it at all. Ha.

I couldn't find any real "tab" for Teaspoon. Anyone working on it?

No I think this guy's right. We never really got the whole song, just enough to get the chords to sound right and fake it.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:53 pm

Patr!ck wrote:We never really got the whole song, just enough to get the chords to sound right and fake it.
Isn't that what tabs are?

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:56 am

sour29 wrote:
Patr!ck wrote:We never really got the whole song, just enough to get the chords to sound right and fake it.

That's what I'd say, but then, I know four-letter-word about tabs!
By the way, it took me a while till I found the tabs on your spiffy new site, wouldn't have suspected them under "info" :)

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:26 am

You're not the first person to say that to me. Should I switch the name of Info to Music, and the name of Music to Media? That's the only thing I can think of to make it clearer.

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:04 am

sour29 wrote:You're not the first person to say that to me. Should I switch the name of Info to Music, and the name of Music to Media? That's the only thing I can think of to make it clearer.

Sounds good! Maybe add the song info and tabs to the Music section and live bio and discography in the Info? I think that's where I would expect to find those items.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:59 am

sour29 wrote:

Absolutely.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Moni wrote:...but then, I know four-letter-word about tabs!

is it... tabs?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Listening to the Western State Hurricanes version of Copernicus, it sounds like the main progression is actually Dmaj7, then some chord based on C# (possibly just a drop of the bass note on the Dmaj7, but that doesn't sound QUITE right), A, and the Dmaj7 again. For best effect, play the chords barred at and around the 5th fret.

The chorus sounds something like F#m, A, D...perhaps some sort of a B thrown in at the end for good measure. I'll have to listen again tomorrow when I can crank the volume a bit more. Can anyone confirm if this sounds like I'm on the right track?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed May 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Dmaj7 is right, then drop the bass note a half step to C# but let the open E ring, then let the open E and A strings ring while keeping the Dmaj7 shape in place. (that's the intro at least.) The F#m is actually F#m7.

Prior to the Hurricanes I was always interested in changing barre chords by lifting my index finger to let the unfretted strings ring open. Sometimes it produced dissonance and sometimes it made complicated new chords, plus the hammering-on that occurred with the index finger added a dimension of rhythm. Copernicus is from the tail end of that fascination. In the Long Winters I don't write songs around that idea anymore, but you will see me employ it as a "flavor" quite frequently.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:29 pm

John wrote:Dmaj7 is right, then drop the bass note a half step to C# but let the open E ring, then let the open E and A strings ring while keeping the Dmaj7 shape in place. (that's the intro at least.)

Awesome. I actually played it like that about twenty minutes after the original post, and thought it sounded better. Was going to update now, but you beat me. Glad I nailed it. I never would've known the F#m is an F#m7, and I'm not sure I even know how to play that chord....I'll have to look it up.

Will we ever hear Copernicus live again? It's one of the increasingly few songs I've yet to ever hear.

Thanks again for your input, JR! :)

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sat May 09, 2009 1:31 am

It's funny about that song... it was one of the most popular WSH songs as far as I remember, and it was a last-minute addition to the first Long Winters record, when it was clear we wouldn't have enough songs. It's one of the few major lyric changes I've made to a song after it was properly finished and recorded. The original version had the line "I don't want Christ about to call me" which was a sort of chagrined admission of guilt on the narrator's part, but full of defiance, like "I'm not waiting around for a reckoning, I'll tell you the whole story." When we rerecorded it, the LW's version didn't feel like it wanted that much sarcasm, or boldness. So the lyric went Southern Gothic and changed to "Not about the night we hung old Leigh." The song's about an accidental drowning, where they were set to scare somebody and it went sideways, and hanging old Leigh somewhere in the distant past added an extra layer of guilt that had been "waiting to come undone".

There's an element here, like in Fire Island, Blue Diamonds, Cinnamon, Samaritan, etc., where the narrative of the song takes the form of either a confession to the police or the "getting the story straight" in order to talk to the police. Interesting that I never saw that vein running through so many songs.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:03 am

Again, love these stories. I completely understand what you mean about the difference in tone, though. Musically and lyrically, both bands interpretations almost allow for two completely different songs, and is perhaps the most striking change between the two versions of any recorded WSH song.

I was thinking about it the other day, and was wondering if the lines "I know where his house is and you don't / if you know where his house is then you go" should actually be "His house" with the almighty capital H, or if I'm mistakenly tying it to Christ because those are the two major parts removed from the song. I guess it could just as easily be the house of the drowning victim, or another character altogether!

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Tue May 12, 2009 4:25 am

I haven't stopped by in a while, and I find it a little ironic that all week at work I've been analyzing Hotel California, wondering the the narrator dies on his bike or actually just pulls over.

Return to “Band Nerd!”