guitar tabs

What are guitar strings made of? For technical questions about music and gear.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

kyle_s9

Post by kyle_s9 »

k thanks for the tips
i've been working on It'll be a breeze
just gotta keep working on changing chords faster
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

Man, if you can get It'll Be A Breeze down, I'll be impressed. I've been playing guitar for something like ten years now, and I still can't figure out when to do those chord changes. The timing on them seems so random!

*edit: typo fixed.
Last edited by sour29 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

sour29 wrote:Man, if you can get It'll Be A Breeze down, I'll be impressed. I've been playing guitar for something like ten years now, and I still can't figure out when to do those chord changes. The timing on them seems to random!

to be able to write something that sounds random but isn't must be one of the highest forms of art.
zach

Post by zach »

huuh?
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

sour29 wrote:Man, if you can get It'll Be A Breeze down, I'll be impressed. I've been playing guitar for something like ten years now, and I still can't figure out when to do those chord changes. The timing on them seems so random!

*edit: typo fixed.

Breeze is the only TLW song I can play all the way through. Whenever I sing while playing it though, it messes me up.

As an aspiring guitar player, it's a hurdle I haven't jumped yet.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

I don't know, man. Maybe I need to give it another try. I remember sitting down one afternoon and trying until my fingers hurt before just giving up. The chords, the changes, etc. are all easy enough -- but the timing on those changes? I'm not sure even John knows what's going on.
kyle_s9

Post by kyle_s9 »

lol yeah, i know what you guys meen. i've been referencing videos on youtube like this to help with the changes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G9QH_xuN5Ew

i havn't tried singing with it yet, won't try for a bit, still have lots of work obviously
sour29

Post by sour29 »

PS. you can download the full quality version of that video at the Long Winters Music Page. It makes me smile that famous people cover the El Dubs, and not just me.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Ben doesn't play it right, either. Try playing Stupid if you want to hear chords fall where they shouldn't.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

I saw you had responded to this thread, and got my hopes up that you might have actually said "Well, duh! it's obviously Am for three bars, a switch to G for half a bar before a quick change up to the Dm" or something. Should have known it would just be you slagging on your friends. ;) Kidding!

We never did rise up to your challenge of figuring out Stupid, though, did we? You should make some YouTube guitar tutorial videos ala Matthew Caws and show us the way, oh mighty master of the six string!
sour29

Post by sour29 »

ps. It makes me feel a bit better that not even Ben can play the song properly. So even though I teased you in the last post: thank you -- I am now more secure in my guitar chops.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

sour29 wrote:The chords, the changes, etc. are all easy enough -- but the timing on those changes? I'm not sure even John knows what's going on.

ah, but that's the thing, I'm pretty sure he does - I've never heard the song live where I thought "hey, now that's not quite how I remember it".

Has any of you guitarplayers ever tried playing and singing Shapes at the same time? I suppose it just takes a lot of practice until you can dream that guitar part, but I've always been amazed by it.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

I can actually sorta do Shapes, if I'm in practice, fairly easily. It took a while to get into muscle memory, but once it was there, it wasn't nearly as hard as it looks.
Patr!ck

Post by Patr!ck »

It'll Be A Breeze was the second song I played, after Cinnamon... and I always thought I was doing it right, but now I'm not so sure... either way, I won my girls heart over with that song so I'm fine either way. However, I'm very interested in how to play the song, so interested that I'm tempted to make a video of myself doing it just so John can tell me I'm doing it wrong (and hopefully why!). I had no idea that the song was more challenging than I thought, but cool anyway!
sour29

Post by sour29 »

For what it's worth, John has said the tab available on The Long Winters website (and shamelessly copied to The Long Winters Music Site) is accurate, but it doesn't have timing structure or strumming patterns, which makes it a bit harder than it otherwise ought to be.
Patr!ck

Post by Patr!ck »

That's good news! So it's up to us to figure it out.
Patr!ck

Post by Patr!ck »

New idea: let's put Breeze on the back burner, TLW is coming to my town, and probably yours too, in a couple months. I'll study John playing real close, and I'll try to talk to him after the show about it.
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

You're going to talk to John after a show? Here is some advice...

1) Approach slowly with your head bowed - but DO NOT look at his shoes
2) DO NOT look him in the eye - it challenges him and he will take you down
3) Keep sentences short and to the point... if he asks you a question, just appologize and leave immediately
4) DO NOT, under any circumstances, mention Hugh Jackman
sour29

Post by sour29 »

If you want to watch / ask about anything, make it Stupid. John laughs at how horribly wrong we are.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Stop looking at my shoes.