error message 'debug code'

Site specific technical questions and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

error message 'debug code'

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:30 am

There's currently a problem with the board displaying an error message after posting your message. Although you are not taken to the post you've just made, it generally seems to be posted anyway (although not always). So to avoid double posts, check the topic you posted in before you post again.

We're working on a quick fix, and hopefully sometime soon we'll be upgrading the board to avoid any such thing to happen again.

By the way, if you just post the word 'it' the error doesn't occur. I've tried.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:00 pm

What'd you do to break it? :p

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:18 pm

I made a post in Administrivia about this issue yesterday after I wrote a reply in the GMEAM-forum, but apparently that post never made it through. Weirdness!

EDIT: the search-function seems to be out of order, too.

zach

Postby zach » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:22 am

I'm getting logged out every time I leave the site, which never used to happen. Don't know if this is a bug on the LW side or my own.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:35 am

zach: that's a cookie thing. Probably something on your side, but one never knows.

Everyone else: Be prepared for changes in the near-ish future. Positive ones.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:32 am

grant wrote:Everyone else: Be prepared for changes in the near-ish future. Positive ones.

I hope you're referring to that new web design/website John was talking about some time ago

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:37 pm

oops, did no one say that John henceforth will communicate through papyrus scrolls only, for undisclosed reasons (possibly due to the financial crisis or to save several kinds of endangered creatures)?

in the nearisher future be prepared for the board to be offline for (hopefully) a short while - probably this Tuesday

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:14 pm

Congrats! I'm excited to see the new changes. Hopefully it won't mean that all the messages on here will be wiped... there's some great nuggets of information that deserve to be preserved, not purged!

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:22 pm

sour29 wrote:Congrats! I'm excited to see the new changes. Hopefully it won't mean that all the messages on here will be wiped... there's some great nuggets of information that deserve to be preserved, not purged!

Dude, you haven't been printing them out? Don't come to me begging for backups, as you would clearly not like the lossy artifacts that can result from using the copy machine at the local grocery store.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:28 pm

I think I love you.

EDIT: Wait, you've been printing them without laminating several copies and alternating them between off-site safety deposits? Let me guess... you've also cleaned your cache, and lossless copies of the original are no longer in the TEMP folder in your browser directory? Lame. :(

EDIT2: That's actually a great analogy. Have you ever seen a fourth generation photocopy? A fourth generation MP3 of a Long Winters song would probably sound something like GWAR.

Actually, that might be cool.

zach

Postby zach » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 am

sour29 wrote:That's actually a great analogy. Have you ever seen a fourth generation photocopy? A fourth generation MP3 of a Long Winters song would probably sound something like GWAR.

Or...

LONG WINTER'S STARE!

(Aha!)

Moni

Postby Moni » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:03 pm

sour29 wrote:Congrats! I'm excited to see the new changes. Hopefully it won't mean that all the messages on here will be wiped... there's some great nuggets of information that deserve to be preserved, not purged!

Hmm I dunno, I think a fresh start every now and then would be nice

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Yeah, but there's a lot of great content. I hope SOMEONE has backed up the Mimi story.

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Liesbeth wrote:probably this Tuesday

... aaand we're still here. ooh the anticipation :)

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 am

Obviously Tuesday didn't happen. We'll take you by surprise instead. The intention is however to not lose any info. By the way, I have a lot of info saved in the Library (this board's abundance was one of the reasons to start the library site), but not the Mimi story...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:44 am

Liesbeth wrote:but not the Mimi story...
Well, you might want to get on that! :D I still like to visit that thread from time to time and read that story...

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:54 am

Per "King God" himself, can whoever is in charge of the web site relaunch please contact me?

Thanks,
A

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:43 pm

I'd say King God himself is in charge, but apparently he doesn't know it yet. I will dispatch a messenger immediately. If I pick one of those extreme triathlon types, will they be able to reach Seattle by Thanksgiving, I wonder? Hm, it is almost 5000 miles, and the Atlantic is pretty cold to swim across. Oh, hang on, it's exactly 20 years ago this week that NL was the first foreign country to connect to the US internet. That just might be faster....

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Liesbeth wrote:I'd say King God himself is in charge, but apparently he doesn't know it yet. I will dispatch a messenger immediately. If I pick one of those extreme triathlon types, will they be able to reach Seattle by Thanksgiving, I wonder? Hm, it is almost 5000 miles, and the Atlantic is pretty cold to swim across. Oh, hang on, it's exactly 20 years ago this week that NL was the first foreign country to connect to the US internet. That just might be faster....
What a great post! Thanks for the tidbit, and congrats on the anniversary!

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:55 am

well, since that first trans-atlantic e-mail was in a sense the birth of the www (albeit at a speed of 264Kb), congratulations world! and what better to celebrate than some appropriate monty python

Return to “Administrivia”