appositives?

Site specific technical questions and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

miss michaela dee

appositives?

Postby miss michaela dee » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:13 am

merlin -- is there a way we can all acquire appositives such as you and john have (c.f. 'kaiser of nerds', 'here comes trouble'), or are those only available for administrative-types?

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:52 am

I don't see why not. Tho it would be hard to make a different one for each person here, unfortunately. phpbb: http://www.thelongwinters.com/board/faq.php#12

However, there's other things going on that we could fashion for people.

One is "groups" where we can, if there's any interest, create groups that folks can join for one reason or another (and potentially have protected areas if the need arose).

What you're seeing there are called (ugh) "ranks," and most sites use them to designate (automatically) how much someone has posted ("Starship Captain!" or whatever).

One thing we could do that's sort of an in-between solution would be to create "special ranks" of a more generic nature (that's what John and I have) and then apply them to people on request.

A third solution would be to re-allow sigs but drastically reduce how long they can be. That would def. be the easiest. I'd love to find the thing Grant talked about where sigs show on the users' first post per thread only.

So that's a long answer. Sort of no and yes.

Discuss. :)

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:02 am

Merlin wrote:I don't see why not. Tho it would be hard to make a different one for each person here, unfortunately. phpbb: http://www.thelongwinters.com/board/faq.php#12

Wow I had no idea that this was actually something difficult - I know a board (using [a very modified] vBulletin) where you can just choose anything for your status/rank...

anyway, sigs (limited in size) = good.
my $0.02 :)

miss michaela dee

Postby miss michaela dee » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:57 am

Merlin wrote:I don't see why not. Tho it would be hard to make a different one for each person here, unfortunately. phpbb: http://www.thelongwinters.com/board/faq.php#12

Oh lordy, leave it to me to want the most difficult thing.

I'm not too keen on 'ranks' -- those have always annoyed me on other message boards.

I like the idea of the more generic groups, though. On the other hand, I'm not like, totally dying to have an appositive, really. But it's nice now to know the mechanics of how they work. I don't want to create more work for you, so it's cool if you want to keep things status quo. (:

Return to “Administrivia”