"I don't understand the technology exactly...."

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

kathryn

"I don't understand the technology exactly...."

Postby kathryn » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:17 am

roderick is quoted briefly in an article on live music and recording services like eMusicLive.
NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- The long winters are on stage at Maxwell's, the Hoboken, N.J., club that's traditionally a launching pad for bands poised to break across the river. Between songs, the singer lists off the merchandise for sale. Besides the usual T-shirts and CDs, "These very words," he says, "can be echoing in your brain for years to come for $10 if you buy the CD, or also there's some kind of pen-thing that has MP3s in it. I don't understand the technology exactly ... ."

After their set, a few curious fans visit a kiosk mounted on the back wall. For $30, they're handed a small, reusable piece of digital memory called a "pen drive" and given a quick tutorial. With a swipe of a credit card, the kiosk downloads the entire show in MP3 form into the pen drive in just seconds, less than 15 minutes after the set. The kiosk -- the first of many coming to the edgy club near you -- was created by eMusicLive. It makes digital recordings of live shows into ultimate souvenirs. While the logo on the pen drives is currently the company's own, what it should say is: "Your Brand Here."

Meantime, the Long Winters have passed through several eMusicLive-affiliated venues and left behind digital copies of those concerts for sale on eMusicLive's servers. "This isn't for bands who suck live," eMusicLive's Mr. Scholl says. "It's changing the dynamic between them and their audience."

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=40943

great! now we know that the long winters don't suck live and as poised to "break" in manhattan, any minute now.

smilin

Postby smilin » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:33 am

I don't understand the technology exactly, either. But I downloaded both LW's shows off of emusic. The quality is excellent (especially the Maxwell's show).

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:54 am

Greg Lindsay in the Ad-Age article wrote:All eyes are on Clear Channel after the live-event behemoth purchased a patent in May, claiming it has sole rights to record live music, a patent Clear Channel appears poised to enforce.

This cannot be seriously true, can anyone hold a patent to recording live music? That is scary shit!

The article still doesn't answer my earlier question about who benefits from these live recordings that E-music does.
But it raises other questions, like if more and more venues become linked to one of these companies, will it mean bands who don't agree to have their concert released cannot play anywhere anymore?

From a fan's point of view I kinda like the idea of live recordings being so readily available, but I'm curious how that is for the artist.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:19 pm

how can they patent the "rights to record live music"?? How is that patentable? oh my.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:16 am

Clearly, Clear Channel is Evil. Bands who don't agree, are free to play in my back yard. Rock and roll is for everyone. Not just sell outs.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:06 am

I believe bands that play at venues which have Emusic have the option of whether or not to be recorded.

dchris

Postby dchris » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:17 am

All eyes are on Clear Channel after the live-event behemoth purchased a patent in May, claiming it has sole rights to record live music, a patent Clear Channel appears poised to enforce.
I read the article, and I'm entirely confused.
Is there a qualifier I'm missing here? "sole rights to record live music"? All of it? Ever? Any concert, recital, talent show, rock band, marching band, karaoke? Even if it is just rock shows, that's still an absurd claim. It's akin to patenting the right to photograph trees.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:05 am

I don't agree with the concept of paying for MP3s, ever. I wouldn't pay for pants missing a zipper, and I won't pay for compromised music. As far as whether or not the direct cd transfers are lossless, I've yet to look into... but I've heard these concert discs (being burned so quickly and in mass production) are often riddled with flaws. $10 for a flawed cd? pfft.

I think live music should be free. I'll let some other fool waste their $10 on the cd, and then trade them for a rip of it.

the new math

Postby the new math » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:01 pm

i just ripped your post to a 64kbs mp3.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:47 pm

I took a copy of those 64kbs mp3s, burned them to redbook audio, and put them on cassette tape by putting the cassette recorder's built in microphone up next to the cd player's built-in speaker. But I think at some point the post became riddled with flaws.

Do you call them a fool to their face when trading for the cd, or wait until after the trade?

smilin

Postby smilin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:27 am

sour29 wrote:As far as whether or not the direct cd transfers are lossless, I've yet to look into... but I've heard these concert discs (being burned so quickly and in mass production) are often riddled with flaws. $10 for a flawed cd? pfft.

I'd love to hear what you thought of the Emusic Maxwell's show from a sound quality perspective. Personally, I am happy to pay for authorized live shows when the band gets a cut. Hopefully, this injects a bit more economics into the overall indie-rock proposition for my favorite bands.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:45 am

the new math wrote:i just ripped your post to a 64kbs mp3.

if you really want to rip the post apart, you could try to shove your computer through a shredder
(disclaimer: don't come to me if it doesn't work flawlessly after said action)

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:51 am

I find this whole idea a little weird. Do I really want a copy of every show I go to? Seems....gluttonous. Too much can spoil things.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:59 pm

I love this thread so much I want to own it. Only I don't have anything to trade. Anyone do a B&P for me?

heather

Postby heather » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:22 pm

I will trade you something great. Flyn, I'm looking in your direction.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:13 pm

"Do we have any Sour29 fans in Portugal?!"

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:31 pm

the new math wrote:i just ripped your post to a 64kbs mp3.
you bastard! ;O look what you've started!

and i'll have you know that i have fans all over the world.

err, actually, i'm not sure if i have any fans anywhere. :\

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:33 pm

Oh, and I'm willing to trade for a non-digitalized copy of my post, straight from the analog master. Sorry, no 2:1's or B+P's right now. Maybe I'll set up a tape tree later...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:36 pm

smilin wrote:Personally, I am happy to pay for authorized live shows when the band gets a cut.
I'd agree that this is the one benefit to paying for live shows. But I'd also argue that since live recordings are little or nothing more than promo and P.R. for both band's albums and live shows, eventually live recordings help line the bands' pockets whether professionally sourced or not.

And the band allows soundboard taping, so all shows recorded can sound as good as anything Clear Channel puts out. The only thing is you'd be trading $10 for however long it takes the taper to transfer his shows.

Ryan

tree photography ®©™

Postby Ryan » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:53 am

dchris wrote:
Even if it is just rock shows, that's still an absurd claim. It's akin to patenting the right to photograph trees.

i currently hold the patent for all tree photography rights. inquiries may be directed to p. bunyan in my human resources department.

Return to “Swoon”