Entertainment Weekly

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

stephanie

Entertainment Weekly

Post by stephanie »

A friend just emailed this to me, from last week's Entertainment Weekly -- apparently, the online version is only accessible to subscribers and AOL users. Bah!

----

ET's Listen2This: What's Rocking Our World

These days, it seems like every twentysomething hipster with a rack full of Beach Boys CDs and a few violin-sawing pals from those high school orchestra years is cranking out impressively ornate '60s-influenced albums. But too often these well-intentioned souls forget the most important part: writing songs. Not the Long Winters mastermind John Roderick, who has a gift for that magical combination of melody, harmony, rhythm, and texture that adds up to a good tune. No wonder musical luminaries like the Posies' Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow, R.E.M.'s Peter Buck, and the Minus 5's Scott McCaughey have lined up to back him on When I Pretend To Fall (Barsuk), the Long Winters' second album. Together they crank out some of the most maddeningly memorable (though, at times, repetitive) indie-pop ditties this side of Bob Pollard. B+ - RB

----

I, personally, was unaware that Bob Pollard was known for cranking out "indie-pop ditties" -- and also that John could/would ever be classified as a "twentysomething hipster" -- but shit, what do I know?
mildlyrestarted

Re: Entertainment Weekly

Post by mildlyrestarted »

stephanie wrote:
I, personally, was unaware that .. John could/would ever be classified as a "twentysomething hipster" -- but shit, what do I know?

it must be the "Chick Magnet" hat. totally hipster.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Wow, this is just great. I've yet to see a bad review, or even a luke warm one! Has anyone read any bad reviews (so I know where to send the hate mail)? :)
sean
consigliere

twentysomething my ass!

Post by sean »

signed,
the person who NEVER gets mentioned in long winters reviews but who isn't michael or eric.
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Re: twentysomething my ass!

Post by Merlin »

sean wrote:signed,
the person who NEVER gets mentioned in long winters reviews but who isn't michael or eric.

Soon you will be referred to as "the cute one." Nothing wrong with that.
stephanie

musical luminary my ass!

Post by stephanie »

Oh dear.
I'm playing the world's smallest violin for you, though I'm not sure how well sound travels from Milwaukee to Seattle.

No, really.
LngHrvWntrsDngr

Post by LngHrvWntrsDngr »

ive never screamed about the Long Winters without mentioning your name...so at least you have personal publicity in the middle of nowhere, Storrs CT!
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

*idea*

Post by Unremarkable »

I have a solution! If you want to get written up in articles, all you have to do is announce that Harvey Danger is getting back together, and planning a complete US tour! Of course, you'll have to follow through with these promises, but hey, then it's a win-win situation.
LngHrvWntrsDngr

Re: *idea*

Post by LngHrvWntrsDngr »

Unremarkable wrote:

I have a solution! If you want to get written up in articles, all you have to do is announce that Harvey Danger is getting back together, and planning a complete US tour! Of course, you'll have to follow through with these promises, but hey, then it's a win-win situation.

that is most definatly a solution...the best solution ive ever heard of...your name would be all over the papers...can't you see it? mmmm its a beautiful image...beeeeeeeautiful!
miss michaela dee

Post by miss michaela dee »

Merlin wrote:Soon you will be referred to as "the cute one." Nothing wrong with that.

totally -- you should have seen the ladies fawning over him at sxsw! it was like john didn't even exist.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Can't you vultures just accept that Sean is a tortured artist who's doomed to live and die in obscurity, only to achieve his much sought-after recognition years after his untimely demise?
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

Forrest wrote:Can't you vultures just accept that Sean is a tortured artist who's doomed to live and die in obscurity, only to achieve his much sought-after recognition years after his untimely demise?

Forrest, do you have plans for Sean that the rest of us should know about?
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I'm just trying to help Sean live out his own self-fulfilling prophecies. It's either that, or start a new thread where everyone pats him on the back, one at a time.

Now, if you'll all form one line, single-file.....