5/10 KEXP show

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Forrest

5/10 KEXP show

Post by Forrest »

Can't catch the Sonic Boom Tour, but still need a little John & Sean fix?

Rumor has it they'll be playing a set on KEXP at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday. That's 90.3 on the FM dial for all you kids in the Seattle Metropolitan Area, and http://www.kexp.org for everybody else.

Be sure to call in and request "Madison County Potroast." John loves that.
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

KEXP gig definitely on

Post by Merlin »

Cap'n John verifies that this is definitely happening tonight.

According to KEXP, the band is scheduled to be on at 8:00 pm Pacific Time. KEXP has an assload of different ways to listen/stream, so check it out.

(OT: OS X nerds may share my joy in discovering iNet Stream Archiver, which lets you capture audio feeds to MP3s--including unattended scheduling [TiVo-like]. Swish.)
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Update

Post by Merlin »

Looks like The Revolutionary Hydra is scheduled to be on at 7:45, followed by (I believe) John & Sean at 8:30.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

The Hydra and The, um, Winters/Longs? Crappy dial-up, don't fail me now.
stephanie

I am?

Post by stephanie »

I just listened to the show on my crappy dial-up and I hope y'all did, too.

The "no, you are!" bit in "New Girl" as done by (I think?) everyone in the band was one of the cutest things I've ever heard.

Now, on to wait with bated breath for the Minneapolis show (two weeks?!), and pray for an impromptu set in my livingroom the next day. Yes.
rocklikemom

Post by rocklikemom »

Yeah..and the ninja thing? Good times, kids. Good times.
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

dammit. i was at work, of course. totally missed it :(. i hope it's archived.
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Young or Crazy, indeed

Post by Merlin »

meg wrote:The Hydra and The, um, Winters/Longs? Crappy dial-up, don't fail me now.

So, Meg, did you get to listen in and hear Roderick yoink your Vanderslice line? Awesome. Very subtle.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Re: Young or Crazy, indeed

Post by meg »

Merlin wrote:So, Meg, did you get to listen in and hear Roderick yoink your Vanderslice line? Awesome. Very subtle.

My crappy backatthehomestead dial-up held out so I got to hear the whole thing. I think my eyebrows shot through my hairline. I've been verbally appropriated! Or something!
Last edited by meg on Mon May 12, 2003 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
stephanie

Post by stephanie »

I feel privileged to know that "Shapes" is actually about ninja throwing stars. Who'd've thought?
miss michaela dee

sin-a-mon

Post by miss michaela dee »

merlin, i didn't know you were an ex-navy SEAL...

you scare me now.
i mean, more than you did before...

(;
miss michaela dee

stephanie wrote:I feel privileged to know that "Shapes" is actually about ninja throwing stars. Who'd've thought?

Hey, because I am SUCH A GIANT NeRd, I went poking about on Google, and have discovered just exactly what 'throwing shapes' means -- very illuminating (hooray for the power of the inter-web!). Also, one who throws shapes is known as a shaper.
royal

Post by royal »

miss michaela dee wrote:Hey, because I am SUCH A GIANT NeRd, I went poking about on Google, and have discovered just exactly what 'throwing shapes' means

Strange, after reading the google findings, the definition of "Throwing Shapes" online seems to be different from the one John gave on KEXP Saturday night. John's definition, in a round-about-way, seemed to say that "Throwing Shapes" was essentially "doing what is expected", such as, when a carpenter hammers in a nail, that action is called "throwing shapes". John's definition didn't seem to have any "showing off" element to it. Hm.
miss michaela dee

royal wrote:John's definition, in a round-about-way, seemed to say that "Throwing Shapes" was essentially "doing what is expected", such as, when a carpenter hammers in a nail, that action is called "throwing shapes". John's definition didn't seem to have any "showing off" element to it. Hm.

I found that interesting as well, but as we are working with a slang term, it doesn't surprise me that it has a fluid definition. (: As it seems to be a term from across the pond, it makes sense that it might mean something different over here.
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

t'ain't me

Post by Merlin »

miss michaela dee wrote:merlin, i didn't know you were an ex-navy SEAL...
Heh, if only it were true.

Regrettably, there is an actual "sort-of-colorful" ex-Navy Seal guy who gives Sean the evil eye in SF, and it ain't me.

I just cook them bacon, make their web junk, and let them get me in free to shows; I don't plan to actually start threatening their safety for at least a few months.

On that note, did I mention that I'd like everybody to consider calling John "Brocktoon?"
miss michaela dee

there's so many johns in indie rock, really.

miss michaela dee wrote:merlin, i didn't know you were an ex-navy SEAL...

Merlin wrote:Heh, if only it were true.

Regrettably, there is an actual "sort-of-colorful" ex-Navy Seal guy who gives Sean the evil eye in SF, and it ain't me.

Yes, I was just informed by another source that the ex-SEAL in question is not you. Geeez, I just thought Brocktoon was just being funny. Perhaps we need to send out the Barsuk Mafia to inform this guy that eyeballing Sean ain't hip?

merlin wrote:On that note, did I mention that I'd like everybody to consider calling John "Brocktoon?"

Well, I'd be more likely to vote for Beacon of Bliss or The Man Who Rides Alone, but Brocktoon's all right by me. I mean, I already used it. Fits just like a glove. :D
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

royal wrote:
miss michaela dee wrote:Hey, because I am SUCH A GIANT NeRd, I went poking about on Google, and have discovered just exactly what 'throwing shapes' means

Strange, after reading the google findings, the definition of "Throwing Shapes" online seems to be different from the one John gave on KEXP Saturday night. John's definition, in a round-about-way, seemed to say that "Throwing Shapes" was essentially "doing what is expected", such as, when a carpenter hammers in a nail, that action is called "throwing shapes". John's definition didn't seem to have any "showing off" element to it. Hm.

Hmmm...it seems to be an Irish phrase. Just think of someone saying it with an Irish accent.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Re: t'ain't me

Post by Unremarkable »

Merlin wrote:On that note, did I mention that I'd like everybody to consider calling John "Brocktoon?"

Oh, man, I remember that skit! Classic SNL...
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Frankly, I wasn't expecting to give a definition of Throwing Shapes on the radio and so I stumbled around with that whole 'carpenter' business. I was surprisingly inarticulate in getting across the nuances of it because I had only ever read it or heard it in context, and then only from UK types, so it was a phrase I sort of appropriated whole. As Miss Michaela points out I flubbed about trying to set the visual scene with my analogy and didn't really get at the meaning.

I do mean to use it with the connotation of 'showing off', but not in a bragging way, more in a 'going through the motions' way. That's it exactly. Going through the motions. Basically, if all you're doing is just throwing friend shapes, it doesn't make you my friend. It might fool most people most of the time, but then something unexpected happens, (say, some raiders come), and all of a sudden your friend shapes don't add up to much because you bail when the chips are down.

I'm not sure that's how they use it in England, but it's how I'm using it. Throwing some songwriter shapes here...
matt

kexp pics

Post by matt »

Photos of the Long Winters from their visit to KEXP's Audioasis program on 5/10. Also, there's pictures of Rev. Hydra and the Ben Kennedys, who were on the show too.

http://www.publicpressure.com/kexp/

oh, and thanks to John for letting me join with him and Sean on the "no, you are"s -- good fun.

matt