Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Mon May 12, 2003 1:06 pm

Holy shit, Matt. Nice pics.

miss michaela dee

throwing fangirl shapes

Postby miss michaela dee » Mon May 12, 2003 1:12 pm

John wrote:As Miss Michaela points out I flubbed about trying to set the visual scene with my analogy and didn't really get at the meaning.

I...did?

Oh, John. I totally didn't mean to call you on this, I was just curious. I have a major compulsion to research things to death -- comes with my profession, I suppose.

Meg and I were having fun deconstructing yr. lyrics on the phone last night (insert *scoff* here), and she was trying to explain your KEXP definition of "throwing shapes", as I hadn't heard that live set yet. I was trying to tell her that the phrase "throwing shapes" made me think of someone throwing pottery, and I knew that was totally, completely wrong.

After I heard yr. KEXP set myself this morning (hooray for audio archives!), all of a sudden "throwing shapes" was really nibbling at my memory -- I'd heard it somewhere else but couldn't remember where. I think at this point, it might have been in a Martin Amis book (maybe London Fields?), in which case, he may very well have have contextualized it as "showing off".

Anyway, I'm totally digressing here, but your definition is just as good, if not better, because it's your song, and it's a mighty fine song at that.

And what do I know anyway, I thought you were talking about throwing pottery. And don't even get me started on what "Bride & Bridle" is about. (:

miss michaela dee

Postby miss michaela dee » Mon May 12, 2003 1:18 pm

Merlin wrote:Holy shit, Matt. Nice pics.

dude, i'll second that (emo)tion.

wowza.

meg
Mod Emeritus

throwing fangirl shapes on the rollercoasters of love

Postby meg » Mon May 12, 2003 1:46 pm

miss michaela dee wrote:Meg and I were having fun deconstructing yr. lyrics on the phone last night (insert *scoff* here), and she was trying to explain your KEXP definition of "throwing shapes", as I hadn't heard that live set yet. I was trying to tell her that the phrase "throwing shapes" made me think of someone throwing pottery, and I knew that was totally, completely wrong.

Hey! No scoffing at us! We are hot stuff, missy.

My favorite part about deconstructing lyrics with you is your ability to link songs together in these huge thematic loops. Makes the musical theater nerd in me oh so happy. I was thinking after we got off the phone that there's nothing more awesome than hearing someone else interpret something you were SURE you had RIGHT. Just goes to show you that it's better without a "RIGHT." Northwestern Gothic.

royal

Re: throwing fangirl shapes

Postby royal » Mon May 12, 2003 1:51 pm

John wrote:I do mean to use it with the connotation of 'showing off', but not in a bragging way, more in a 'going through the motions' way. That's it exactly. Going through the motions. Basically, if all you're doing is just throwing friend shapes, it doesn't make you my friend. It might fool most people most of the time, but then something unexpected happens, (say, some raiders come), and all of a sudden your friend shapes don't add up to much because you bail when the chips are down.

Thanks for the clarification on what you were meaning, John. I thought I'd deduced what it was you were trying to say on KEXP, but apparently I wasn't getting it completely. It's all coming together now...

miss michaela dee wrote:I think at this point, it might have been in a Martin Amis book (maybe London Fields?), in which case, he may very well have have contextualized it as "showing off".

Anyway, I'm totally digressing here, but your definition is just as good, if not better, because it's your song, and it's a mighty fine song at
that.

Incidently, I'm reading London Fields right now. I'm about 2/3 through it, and I don't believe I've come across any mentions of "throwing shapes" (but it's quite a lengthy book, and I could have passed it without stopping). If it happens to be in the last third of the book, I'll be sure to mention it here.

miss michaela dee

and there was a scene of us singing on a rollercoaster

Postby miss michaela dee » Mon May 12, 2003 2:45 pm

meg wrote:Hey! No scoffing at us! We are hot stuff, missy.

Well, this is true. I retract my scoff. (:

meg wrote:My favorite part about deconstructing lyrics with you is your ability to link songs together in these huge thematic loops. Makes the musical theater nerd in me oh so happy. I was thinking after we got off the phone that there's nothing more awesome than hearing someone else interpret something you were SURE you had RIGHT. Just goes to show you that it's better without a "RIGHT." Northwestern Gothic.

I am totally convinced that Mr. Roderick is creating a magnum opus with lots of lovely intertwining thematic moments. When it is all done, the people of the future will perform it as a big Northwestern Gothic song cycle that will rival all other Northwestern Gothic song cycles.

I had a great dream last night in which I had written and was directing a film adapted from "Carparts," "Samaritan," "Blue Diamonds," "Scared Straight," and "Cinnamon". We're having extremely PacNW weather down here, lately (if anyone's seen the sun, please tell him we want him to come home, we'll forgive everything). I think that, in tandem with our conversation, and listening to The Postal Service's "Clark Gable" right before bed all contributed.

(And, not to harp on it or anything, but I am really glad you set me straight about shapes not being about people throwing pottery. I love discussing these things with you too...we're sympatico, but not overly so! <3)
Last edited by miss michaela dee on Mon May 12, 2003 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miss michaela dee

Re: throwing fangirl shapes

Postby miss michaela dee » Mon May 12, 2003 2:54 pm

royal wrote:Incidently, I'm reading London Fields right now. I'm about 2/3 through it, and I don't believe I've come across any mentions of "throwing shapes" (but it's quite a lengthy book, and I could have passed it without stopping). If it happens to be in the last third of the book, I'll be sure to mention it here.

Woah, this is totally reinforcing my idea of the Long Winters Fan Hive Mind (tm), a tentatively trademarked concept currently in development. We'll probably have to make tee-shirts or something.

Maybe it wasn't in a book? Maybe it was in a film -- Sexy Beast, or Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels (or Snatch?) Croupier? The Commitments? (aagh. the trials of having a slightly flawed photographic memory. everything sounds right. maybe.) Or, it could've been in The Long Good Friday, but I think I'm just looking for an excuse to watch that again.

Oh! Perhaps it was in a Nick Hornby book! I thought it sounded Amis-y, but maybe it's Hornby-y.

Dan
Mod Emeritus

Postby Dan » Mon May 12, 2003 3:04 pm

It's nice to see that the soul patch is back.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Mon May 12, 2003 3:24 pm

Can someone throw the link up to the archive where we can listen to the KEXP show on 5/10?

I loved the in store shows on Saturday! Thanks guys!

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Mon May 12, 2003 4:44 pm

NatureBoy--

The link's not up yet, but when it is it should be here, I think.

With any luck, we may score some disk space & extra bandwidth in the next few days, in which case we hope to make stuff like this available via MP3.

Keep your fingers crossed.

miss michaela dee

Postby miss michaela dee » Mon May 12, 2003 7:34 pm

Alternatively, NatureBoy, you can click on
"Stream Archive" from the KEXP homepage (http:www.kexp.org)
click "Programs"
click "Audioasis"
select May 10 from the pull-down menu
in hour and minute, choose 8:30 pm and then click yr. streaming option.
you'll hear a little of the end of a recorded song, a bit from the DJ, and then the live set will start. (:

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon May 12, 2003 9:55 pm

Well, I'm interested in the Gran Falloon going on here. What was the overarching unification theory that you two came up with? Did your two different interpretations result in any third unforseen interps?

It's my job to ask.

And Dan, among the truly devoted grunge/slackers the soul patch never left.

NatureBoy

Postby NatureBoy » Tue May 13, 2003 9:41 am

Thanks much miss michaela dee & merlin - much appreciated!

And John - speaking of things that never really left the devoted, doesn't the 'box cut' (eg: Theo Huxtable from the Cosby Show) fit this bill? Or are there no more devoted?

miss michaela dee

but trust me on the sunscreen...

Postby miss michaela dee » Tue May 13, 2003 10:30 am

John wrote:Well, I'm interested in the Gran Falloon going on here. What was the overarching unification theory that you two came up with? Did your two different interpretations result in any third unforseen interps?

Despite my attempts to make this less a granfalloon and more a karass, there's really not much more progress. This is probably a good thing, eh? Can't force meaningless associations, right? (:

(Note to self: develop "The Long Winters Granfalloon" teeshirt design.)

Though, once I figure out just where the heck I heard of throwing shapes previously, I'll sleep better. Hopefully, that will be soon. I hate having things on the tip of my brain; very distracting.

NatureBoy

Postby NatureBoy » Tue May 13, 2003 10:48 am

My company firewall won't stream the show!

Yet another reason to quit my job...

John! Need a roadie?

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Exact URL for the stream

Postby Merlin » Tue May 13, 2003 11:27 am

So, for those of you folks on the Windows, try this link here.

See if that works.

I imagine they'll put up a more navigable stream for the actual show in the next few days.

(By the way, does the KEXP site fucking rock or what? God damn.)

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Re: Exact URL for the stream

Postby Unremarkable » Tue May 13, 2003 11:30 am

Merlin wrote:(By the way, does the KEXP site fucking rock or what? God damn.)

It's been nominated for a Webby!

meg
Mod Emeritus

Re: but trust me on the sunscreen...

Postby meg » Tue May 13, 2003 2:50 pm

miss michaela dee wrote:
John wrote:Well, I'm interested in the Gran Falloon going on here. What was the overarching unification theory that you two came up with? Did your two different interpretations result in any third unforseen interps?

Despite my attempts to make this less a granfalloon and more a karass, there's really not much more progress. This is probably a good thing, eh? Can't force meaningless associations, right? (:

We got a little giddy toward the end. I seem to remember claiming that the guy in "Samaritan" tried to help out the people in "Cinnamon," because Miss M was saying that the folks in "Cinnamon" became the folks in "It'll Be a Breeze"...or something like that? I'm fuzzy, we were hysterical...and scene-based interpretations never hold up because the scenes only go as far as metaphor...my interpretations always seem questionable as soon as they get out of my head; last year I tried to convince people that "Medicine Cabinet Pirate" was a sister song to the musical Cabaret.

My roommate commented to me a month or so ago that she likes Long Winters songs because they're always about "outlaws," and that comment has changed my framing on a lot of songs. [/i]

miss michaela dee

these are pieces i didn't know i had.

Postby miss michaela dee » Tue May 13, 2003 11:30 pm

meg wrote:We got a little giddy toward the end. I seem to remember claiming that the guy in "Samaritan" tried to help out the people in "Cinnamon," because Miss M was saying that the folks in "Cinnamon" became the folks in "It'll Be a Breeze"...or something like that? I'm fuzzy, we were hysterical...and scene-based interpretations never hold up because the scenes only go as far as metaphor...my interpretations always seem questionable as soon as they get out of my head; last year I tried to convince people that "Medicine Cabinet Pirate" was a sister song to the musical Cabaret.

Man, I'm sooo tempted to post our chat transcript from earlier in the evening, but that might make people bleed from their eyeballs. I'm sorely tempted to see just how many drams of our rollercoaster conversations people can handle. (As if I haven't posted enough in this thread as it is...)

Of course, that hardly touches on trying to connect all the car crashes.

At the very least, I totally have an Edward Tufte-esque mapof the song connexions planned. (:

I remember when you floated the Cabaret/"Medicine Cabinet Pirate" idea by me last year, and you are so right on there. How do you love someone who's more in love with themselves & the drugs more than you? Well, you pack your bags and go back to England and settle on being gay. Wait...that's Christopher Isherwood, and not John that we're talking about here, just to be clear, of course. (Aside to Mr. Roderick: that song really says a lot of the things I can't about someone I lost to the sex/drugs/rocknroll. I know it's lame, but I really can't thank you enough -- for that song and all the rest.)

Skip

Re: Exact URL for the stream

Postby Skip » Wed May 14, 2003 2:14 pm

Merlin wrote:(By the way, does the KEXP site fucking rock or what? God damn.)

Most everything about that station rocks.

Return to “Swoon”