New interview w/ JR

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

lagomorph

New interview w/ JR

Postby lagomorph » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:46 pm

Discovered this today on the Barsuk site:

http://www.depravedfangirls.org/archive ... ntervi.htm

Is it written by the same Michaela who posts here? If so, congrats!

Best,
Litsa

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:15 am

That should be Michaela/Curtie indeed!

Oh and I found that line from Delicate Hands very disturbing; I really didn't know how to take that one.

Jessie

Postby Jessie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:31 am

Thanks for sharing that! I loved reading it.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:28 pm

Oh blast, now the eating machine has gone the way of the giant fork and spoon. I want my old song back.

Interviews like this should have a warning : Caution! Spoilers about lyrics ahead! And doesn't John know better than to explain his lyrics? Animotion only half makes up for it.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:27 pm

Liz wrote:Oh and I found that line from Delicate Hands very disturbing; I really didn't know how to take that one.

I always did too, even from the Western State Hurricanes days, which may be why it was my favorite John song from that era (does that make me disturbed?). Anyways, the WSH version is way different from the TLW version, and I can't figure out which is creepier. I think that Stephanie Wicker's (sp?) wonderful vocals backing up John's in the WSH version really add to the creepiness, while the upbeat pace of the TLW version really contrasts the lyrics, also lending itself to the creepiness.

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:49 pm

That was fabulous, but I am pretty sure my favorite moment
was this:

You're home alone and dancing in your underwear. What song or album is playing?

This scenario never happens. It's like asking me: "what song or album do you listen to while eating the flesh of Christian babies?"

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:11 am

Laura Suzanne wrote:That was fabulous, but I am pretty sure my favorite moment
was this:

You're home alone and dancing in your underwear. What song or album is playing?

This scenario never happens. It's like asking me: "what song or album do you listen to while eating the flesh of Christian babies?"

I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:28 am

Liesbeth wrote:has gone the way of the giant fork and spoon.

Wait. What happened to those?

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:33 am

Great interview!

So yeah, why hasn't anyone commented on the sadism in Delicate Hands? I know I've chatted with folks offhandedly about it, but nothing beyond "yeah, that's a bit disturbing".

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:40 am

Liz wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:has gone the way of the giant fork and spoon.

Wait. What happened to those?

they turned to actually exist in someone's kitchen, not just in my head - wade through the interviews in the Library's reading room if you really want to know, I blocked out which one it was.

Time has sort of mended my old idea when I hear that line, so hopefully that will happen with Everything is Talking, after a while. It's like seeing a film made after a book, it kills the imagination.

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:50 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Great interview!

So yeah, why hasn't anyone commented on the sadism in Delicate Hands? I know I've chatted with folks offhandedly about it, but nothing beyond "yeah, that's a bit disturbing".

Honestly, I think my psyche chose to ignore it. "John's not creepy, he's amazing!" I would like to know more back story, I think. And, when taken as a more general metephor, it interestes me more than it creeps me out... which might make *me* creepy.

aj

Postby aj » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:18 am

I think there's a part in all of us (please, don't tell me it's just me) that occasionally thinks these sort of things. it's not as if it's acted upon.

good interview. entertaining... but I couldn't so much identify... south america to clear my head? sounds a bit pretentious overall, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:29 pm

Perhaps if my jokes weren't so broad...

In response to a "Tell me about your adventures, oh traveller" question, "South America to clear my head" seemed uproariously funny.

Thank goodness for the benefit of the doubt.

miss michaela dee

Postby miss michaela dee » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:12 pm

Hey guys -- thanks for the feedback (and thanks to Mr. Roderick as well) -- glad you all enjoyed the interview!

I didn't think anyone remembered me around here anymore, as I haven't posted in ages!

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:22 pm

So, you're not really going to South America [to clear your head]?

lagomorph

accusations of pretension

Postby lagomorph » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:37 pm

The 05/09/03 entry seems particularly apt here:

http://www.thelongwinters.com/archives/ ... php#002365
Last edited by lagomorph on Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squid

Postby Squid » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:29 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Great interview! So yeah, why hasn't anyone commented on the sadism in Delicate Hands? I know I've chatted with folks offhandedly about it, but nothing beyond "yeah, that's a bit disturbing".

Bob Mould had a sort of similar theme in his song "A Good Idea" on Copper Blue. Difference being, Mould's narrator stays in the 3rd person, creating a sense of distance between himself and the story and only switches to 1st at the very end. J-Rod's protag, on the other hand, is 1st throughout*, dragging you right down into the dirty deed. It's like being behind Michael Meyer's mask at the beginning of Halloween: creepy! Nevermind the fact that there's nothing scarier than evil wrapped in candyfloss. Melodically, Mould's song is a tsunami of chainsaws, whereas John's is...well, kinda sweet. That makes it more sinister by far.

The tricky part of either song is the complicity of the female character. In Mould's, the woman is pretty much into it, at least at the beginning: "That's a good idea, she said." JR considers his a love song as well, right? In the most absolute sense, a violent act is an intimate act, if for no other reason than the corporeal proximity required to perform it. The genius of S/M, at least in concept, is that it raises the possibility of extracting emotion from just such absolutes of physicality. It's kind of an expensive hobby, though. Unless you're just drowning someone, of course.

*EDIT: I stand corrected. There is in fact one instance of 3rd personism..
Last edited by Squid on Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lagomorph

Postby lagomorph » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:29 pm

"Delicate Hands" has been my fave song on the EP from the get go. You can't write about love honestly w/out sometimes colliding w/ darker impulses.

I'm not equivocating: I used to be a domestic violence victim advocate and I've volunteered at the Crisis Clinic. I've seen and heard all sorts of stuff I still can't forget. But if you deem certain thoughts and feelings out of bounds--not the acts, but the thoughts and feelings--art is dead.

galleta

Postby galleta » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:39 am

John, your interviews are TOO good. I'm waiting for the day you'll be too old for rock'n'roll.

AND I can guess the replies to this of all of you, so...

eubanker

Postby eubanker » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:01 am

time to stop lurking to desperately beg, does someone have a copy of the WSH version of "delicate hands"?

Return to “Swoon”