New essay by JR in the current issue of CMJ

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

lagomorph

New essay by JR in the current issue of CMJ

Postby lagomorph » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:40 am

I'm posting this again under a less subtle heading. It's a crackling essay and I think my Stones lyric inadvertantly through folks off the scent.

Excerpt:

"First, I should say what my songs are not about. They are not about going down any long roads. They are not generally addressed to an old man from the perspective of a young man. The Neils (Young, Diamond and Sedaka) and the Bobs (Dylan, Seger and Springsteen) have already said everything you could possibly say about those topics. I've been on long roads, on some hot nights, and I've talked to quite a few old men, but there wasn't anything I took from those experiences that caused me to burst into song. Also, my songs are not about third world debt relief."

More:

http://cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=9047219

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:35 pm

I have read it but it left me a little puzzled: what if you happen to be one of the happy bastards but still feel an overwhelming need to pore over music. Eh?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:06 pm

As in all things, sweeping generalizations are used for effect. Also: the exception often proves the rule. Furthermore, the opinions offered herein are the author's own and the publisher accepts no responsibility. Lastly: tupperware this, recipe that!

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:19 pm

John wrote:As in all things, sweeping generalizations are used for effect.

Auxesis? Or metalepsis?

(Sorry, just fell in love with this database.)

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:58 pm

I've been searching for that site since the internet began. Thank you Grant, for all your good works.

omphale

Wow, no kidding!

Postby omphale » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:33 am

I second that, Grant. I think it was a bit of both, but more metalepsis if I had to choose. The tupperware just steals the show. Very nicely done, John.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:59 am

alright, I'm glad I can continue to pore over my tupperware as usual.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:33 am

i got that in my inbox. took me a while to have time to read it tho.

john do you really know how right you are when you said that "relationships can end up feeling like crime scenes"? oh my god do i know the feeling.

one thing that i think tv and movies have done for us is make it seems as if relationships are so easy. you see each other across a crowded room, you fall in love and that's it...happily ever after. they don't show too many of the fights that one has every day with the significant other. the stupid petty fights over someone not putting dishes away or leaving laundry everywhere. it's work! luckily that secret is finally getting out there. a relationship is work. i currently have one of the best situations anyone could ever ask for but that doesn't mean that it doesn't take some work some days to stop me from killing him. but i do have his back.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:58 am

you see it in their eyes that they're feeling the same way, and you can feel them gearing up, preparing to say "I love you," and you don't want it, you don't want that moment to come. It's not that you don't want to hear it, or that you don't love them back, it's that the spell is going to break the second they put it to those words.

Aah... maybe boys and girls have different views on that... I cannot really relate to this situation a whole lot. It seems to me that in fact most girls are actually waiting for that moment to come. Maybe that's just because in my relationships the intensity always started to grow around or even after that point?

Oh and whatever you feel like saying in such a situation, please don't do the Han Solo thing ("I love you" - "I know.") That's just dumb. Better say nothing at all then.

Return to “Swoon”