Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

PTDTB reviews

Postby Moni » Wed May 03, 2006 10:36 am

http://blownbythewind.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Start The Car, The Ice Has Come

Last year's Ultimatum EP was an enticing set-up for The Long Winters ' very much anticipated upcoming '06 full-length Putting The Days To Bed. Not only are The Long Winters very snappy dressers, but they're even better at making songs. I use such a broad term because this band's strength lies in their ability to jump from the catchy and poppy to something warm and lush not only from song to song, but from verse to chorus. The new album starts off right where the Ultimatum EP left off, even grabbing up the title track "Ultimatum" and tacking it on for that extra kick at the end. Unfortunately, most of my favorite moments occur early on in the album with the one-two pop punch of openers "Pushover" and "Fire Island, AK" setting the pace for ultimately fulfilling album for a band that's clearly figured out how to create an album that, despite its wide range of sounds and influences still manages to to perform as a single cohesive entity. Here's the second half of that one-two pop punch from Putting The Days To Bed, "Fire Island, AK." [MP3]: The Long Winters :: Fire Island, AK Winters' songwriter John Roderick has undoubtedly written one of the catchiest pop songs I've heard all year, what with it's Strokes-esque guitar and catchy choruses. With a title like that, I figured it's gotta have some story behind it, so I checked it out. Apparently, Fire Island is a 4,000-acre island in Alaska which also happens to be a federally protected bird sanctuary. There is currentlythere is a debate on whether or not to place power-generating windmills on Fire Island (Thanks Wikipedia !). Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, the song doesn't seem to have any kind of reference to the actual Fire Island, besides it being the title. Hmm, well, at least "...and I don't have to wonder" will be stuck in your head for weeks, so more power to them. Putting The Days To Bed is out on July on Barsuk Records . Join their mailing list here to be the first to know when you can preorder this puppy. The Long Winters on MySpace .

(is it only me or do the links not work on this page?)

dchris

Re: PTDTB reviews

Postby dchris » Wed May 03, 2006 10:53 am

Liz wrote:(is it only me or do the links not work on this page?)

You're linked to the xml feed. Try http://blownbythewind.blogspot.com

Hey, Fire Island's been all pop-ified. I am enjoying this.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed May 03, 2006 12:07 pm

good lord!
A: reviews already? are we to be left wanting for almost two months, or collectively start our own review blogs all of a sudden so we can pester Barsuk for review copies of the album?

B: Fire Island changed! amazingly so, I'm well in awe how the guitar part changes the whole mood of the song, compared to the live version John played on KEXP, back in the day.

man, this album is such an exciting prospect! I will shut up now and jump around the room. At these times I just plain forget that I'm supposed to be a grown-up.

zach

Postby zach » Wed May 03, 2006 8:01 pm

Does anybody have an mp3 copy of the KEXP version of Fire Island? That they'd be willing to share?

Toast

Postby Toast » Wed May 03, 2006 10:16 pm

zach

Postby zach » Wed May 03, 2006 11:55 pm

Thanks! It's great!

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Wed May 17, 2006 4:00 pm

Moni

Postby Moni » Mon May 29, 2006 11:47 am

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon May 29, 2006 7:24 pm

the above review wrote:the [lyrics'] sometimes overly shiny-happy perspective on life

Huh?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed May 31, 2006 6:21 am

la la la la la la!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed May 31, 2006 9:37 am

So, when's this shit going to leak?

I mean...err... nothing.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:46 am

shiny happy people?

Ogdred Weary

Postby Ogdred Weary » Wed May 31, 2006 7:51 pm

At my first indie music show, my friend Brianna explained to me in a hushed whisper, "Remember: indie = don't dance."

I've been struggling with this rule for a while now, so I thought I could use some company as I listen to amazing independent music and try my hardest not to dance.

Honestly, since the start my concert career, I've danced to whatever, whenever. I've shimmed with the best of them from everything to U2, Ted Leo and Guster. Is this really some unspoken but understood rule? If so, boo. Boo to the various audiences and boo to me.... since heaven knows how many people have made fun of me over the years

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:25 pm

http://littleradio.com/reviews/5430

"I Know That Crime Doesn’t Pay, But I Don’t Know Any Other Way"

The Long Winters third album Putting the Days to Bed will be released 7/25/06 on Barsuk Records. As we have been blessed with unseasonably warm weather here in Cincinnati since I received my promo copy of the upcoming album, it has felt like mid-July these past few days. Nothing ground breaking or avant garde is to be found on Putting the Days to Bed, just straight ahead, melodic indie pop-rock. Songwriter John Roderick’s sunny, warm, and confident tunes are fleshed out by a talented backing band and glossy production. The songs have a vague 90s feel and will likey make some hipsters initially cringe, but after a few listens you’ll be singing along to these tunes with the windows down in your car while smoking cigs…or maybe that was just me.

Still not convinced? Here’s why Long Winters auteur John Roderick says you should care about the record: “Good songs are hard to write, hard to find, and are unrelated to fashion. There’s a lot of music being made as an accessory now, music to match your distressed denim, your deconstructed jacket, your asymmetrical hair, but there will always be a need for actual songs. The Long Winters are working on making those.”

junker347

Postby junker347 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:01 pm

damn it blogs! now i've already heard like 1/4 of the album... I know I could choose not to listen to these tracks, but who has that sort of willpower? It's taking all I have to not search the download programs for it...

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:39 am

maybe it's just me, but all these reviews are out so early - it's almost two months still to the release date!

I suppose the promo copies go out early so the paper mags receive the album in time to get their review printed in the July edition, but with the speed of Internet, the blogs are way ahead. I've been lucky enough to get an advance copy (my strategy of making a fansite for the sole purpose of hearing the new album early seems to have paid off splendidly), and although it's really hard, I've controlled my urge to spread my love for this album all over the internet. I feel for all the fans who aren't as lucky and are tantalized by these eager bloggers.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:11 am

I hate you right now.

EDIT: the album is officially leaked, for those who know where to look. Don't look at me, I'm just the messenger. Looks like it's creating some positive buzz, though.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:02 am

could this possible mean that i finally got my happy song i have been asking for?!!?!

ya know, i had friends that for years i kept telling them that they needed a ballad and they totally refused and laughed at me. guess what?!?! they now play a ballad! and it's a great song! see..people sometimes do listen to me. it just seems to take a while. i don't know why tho.....

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:09 am

Ogdred Weary wrote:

At my first indie music show, my friend Brianna explained to me in a hushed whisper, "Remember: indie = don't dance."

I've been struggling with this rule for a while now, so I thought I could use some company as I listen to amazing independent music and try my hardest not to dance.

Honestly, since the start my concert career, I've danced to whatever, whenever. I've shimmed with the best of them from everything to U2, Ted Leo and Guster. Is this really some unspoken but understood rule? If so, boo. Boo to the various audiences and boo to me.... since heaven knows how many people have made fun of me over the years

i had a friend that kinda did the same thing to me about 10 years ago. anytime we would go to shows and i would start having fun she would make me stop because apparently it embarrassed her.

that is something i have never enjoyed about the whole indie scene. the lack of letting people express themselves in the audience. unless it's in your clothes. funny how nowadays indie has taken a turn towards dancing. a lot of bands have a dance vibe to them.

i feel the need to quote butch walker here...

how come disco music was so cheesy and hated by the punks, but now its what every punk indie band sounds like? im confused... how do i start this song... four on the floor disco beats yall. at the end of the day, Gang of Four will lose a fistfight to Tom Petty... get over it.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:49 am

sour29 wrote:EDIT: the album is officially leaked, for those who know where to look. Don't look at me, I'm just the messenger. Looks like it's creating some positive buzz, though.

I certainly won't shoot the messenger :)

I don't mind early reviews at all; I can see how hard it can be if you get to hear something you are really excited about. But. I f///ing hate it when an album leaks. Everyone knows that this is usually pretty much the last thing artists want to happen to their work, so what the fuck?

Return to “Swoon”